PDA

View Full Version : Chances of finding NIB OEM radiator hoses anywhere slim to none

MacGyvers Mullet
11-01-2017, 03:03 PM
I am guessing this is the case, but wanted to double check. Doing a front timing cover gasket change in the upcoming week and am replacing everything that I can, while I am in there. I am trying to keep the 96 GTS 100% OEM if I can. I know there might be a fat chance of this happening, but I would like to try.

Any reliable source on OEM upper and lower radiator hoses? Local dealer was a bit confused when looking at the cryptic drawings.

If not, best alternative option?

ducatithunder
11-01-2017, 03:57 PM
What about getting your origjnal one recored locally?

Disregard .... i read radiator and not just the hoses.

Steve-Indy
11-01-2017, 04:07 PM
While I understand your point of view, the OEM hoses are so old by now that I would not trust them. I replaced the radiator hoses on our Gen I's and II's with silicone hoses many, many years ago.

The harder( but still recommended) hose job is replacing the 5 hester hoses with silicone hoses.

Snake Oyl /Viper Parts USA is a source for both of the above types of hoses.

MacGyvers Mullet
11-01-2017, 04:27 PM
While I understand your point of view, the OEM hoses are so old by now that I would not trust them. I replaced the radiator hoses on our Gen I's and II's with silicone hoses many, many years ago.

The harder( but still recommended) hose job is replacing the 5 hester hoses with silicone hoses.

Snake Oyl /Viper Parts USA is a source for both of the above types of hoses.

Good point in that even the NIB stuff would still be 15 years old and a bit questionable.

Any particular brand I should get with the silicone versions? I would like to avoid any with fitment issues, as I have read about some not being large enough to fit onto the radiator, becoming a bit of a pain. Not sure if those issues have been fixed with those brands as time has gone on. I just need some black ones that will last.

Also, how hard is replacing the other smaller heater hoses? I am doing all of the timing gasket stuff myself, so I would like to get whatever I can while I am in there. Are they just a pain to get to and a tough to remove the clips?

Steve-Indy
11-01-2017, 04:53 PM
As I recall, one of the heater hoses is a bit malformed...but it works. This is a great time to do this given your current plans. I would suggest hood removal to save your back.

Tom Sessions has been doing these hose change outs on Gen I & II Vipers on our Members' cars during his last couple of Indy-for-a-week visits. I'm sure he could provide many tips.

Matt M, Pa
11-02-2017, 05:13 AM
FWIW, I just bought from the dealer the heater hoses and small (what I'll call the bypass hose..very shortly curly one) for both my '96 RT an 2000 GTS. They weren't expensive.

MacGyvers Mullet
11-02-2017, 07:53 AM
As I recall, one of the heater hoses is a bit malformed...but it works. This is a great time to do this given your current plans. I would suggest hood removal to save your back.

Tom Sessions has been doing these hose change outs on Gen I & II Vipers on our Members' cars during his last couple of Indy-for-a-week visits. I'm sure he could provide many tips.

Hood came off last night, as that was a must. I might pick Tom's brain a bit for some tips, thanks.

FWIW, I just bought from the dealer the heater hoses and small (what I'll call the bypass hose..very shortly curly one) for both my '96 RT an 2000 GTS. They weren't expensive.

Oh, that's great. Do you happen to know the part numbers for the hoses? The factory drawings for the hoses have proven to be a bit confusing for my local dodge dealer and I just want to make sure I 100% order the correct hoses.

lmn
11-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Good point in that even the NIB stuff would still be 15 years old and a bit questionable.

Any particular brand I should get with the silicone versions? I would like to avoid any with fitment issues, as I have read about some not being large enough to fit onto the radiator, becoming a bit of a pain. Not sure if those issues have been fixed with those brands as time has gone on. I just need some black ones that will last.

I replaced mine with red ones and discovered that in red choices are limited to Mishimoto or HPS. After a side by side comparison, in my estimation the HPS have thicker walls, so that's what I installed. Since you are going with black you may have more options.

Scuderia47
11-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Tom Sessions replaced my radiator and heater hoses last August with black silicone ones. I want to keep my car as OEM as possible too and I think the black silicone hoses basically look stock (but are shiny) and most importantly, you can trust they won't fail as opposed to the old rubber OEM hoses.

luc
11-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Tom Sessions replaced my radiator and heater hoses last August with black silicone ones. I want to keep my car as OEM as possible too and I think the black silicone hoses basically look stock (but are shiny) and most importantly, you can trust they won't fail as opposed to the old rubber OEM hoses.

You have many different type of rubber.
OEM usually use very good quality that last almost forever.So age is not a good indicator
for example my 95' explorer has 300,000 on all the original hoses and they are in perfect shape,, seriously.
On the other hand, years ago i bought some after-market door weatherstrips when i was restoring my V12 E Type and they turned into something gooey and sticky in less than 2 years
BTW, I have a brand new set of radiator hose that I bought years ago. Sorry not for sale... yet. Waiting for the price to go much higher. Lol

71firebird400
11-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Rather than use up my spare OEM set I ordered a pair of Samco Sport hoses in a classic black, which helps disguise them as regular hoses. The fit and quality were great. On the car it's hard to identify they're not stock.

71firebird400
11-05-2017, 09:51 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/e9gsq1.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/28s7cbk.jpg

ViperGeorge
11-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Not sure if a Gen 2 has a spring in the upper radiator hose but if not now would be a good time to put one in. Helps prevent the hose from collapsing under full throttle and it is an invisible mod. Many videos of the collapsing hose on here (or maybe they were on the old VCA site). I installed a spring in my Gen 5 TA. I had to go to the auto parts store and look and measure a lot of hoses before I found one with a spring that was the right size. I think it came off a 2003 RAM SRT maybe. Maybe Tom Sessions could comment on this for all Gen Vipers.