PDA

View Full Version : 14 Viper Window issue

Simon930
10-24-2017, 10:40 PM
I have a 2014 Viper TA and having an issue with the passenger side window.
When I close the window and it’s all the way up it clicks very loud. If you hold the window button up it will keep on clicking after it’s all the way shut.Sometimes it doesn’t want to go up. Finally when I open the door and close it, the window doesn’t go back up when it usually does after you shut the door.

Want to get this fixed and would prefer not to take it to the dealer and fix myself.
Need to find out what’s causing it so I can get it fixed. Thanks again

BJG32
10-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Window internal bosses are junk. Doug Shelby has the fix. There is a thread on the topic. Title of thread is "crappy part design" or something similar. Don't bother with warranty...it'll just break again.

BJG32
10-25-2017, 12:44 AM
Read up here...

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/14163-Crappy-Part-design-Windows

ForTehNguyen
10-25-2017, 08:08 AM
i had clicking noises on my drivers side window after I installed DSE window bosses, clicking went away

Simon930
10-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Awesome I will be ordering them for sure

AZTVR
10-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Window internal bosses are junk. Doug Shelby has the fix. There is a thread on the topic. Title of thread is "crappy part design" or something similar. Don't bother with warranty...it'll just break again.

How would loose mounting points between the glass and the lift mechanism cause clicking noises when the glass is all the way shut and the window button is engaged like the OP described? I can picture how there would be noises when the window is in motion if the mounting points were loose, though. This sounds more like a lift drive issue to me.

BJG32
10-25-2017, 03:53 PM
I had clicking too when I closed. Eventually my driver window failed. Broken plastic bosses replaced. No longer clicking, Windows work great.

AKTOFL
10-25-2017, 06:59 PM
I would guess the noise is made where there is movement between the window and the bracket. The metal on glass doesn't sound too hot. When mine broke the first time it would make noise.

BSLSK
07-19-2019, 03:14 PM
I installed the DSE window bosses and the stock plastic ones were on the verge of falling apart. But I'm still getting that clicking/rattling sound even with the DSE parts. Is that normal?

Steve-Indy
07-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Check regulator for cracks...MANY are going out on Gen V's. The design does not seem to have gotten any better over the Gen III and IV iterations in my opinion. In fact, it seems to me that the frequency of failure of the Gen V window regulators may even be higher and "sooner" than in the Gen III and IV Vipers...at least in our Region.

cashcorn
07-19-2019, 05:40 PM
I had both replaced under warranty in 2016. They are just a little slower and seem so much smoother.. The dealer said it was an improved regulator and boss. for what it's worth... Still is as perfect since it has been replaced. :)

bullitt2735
07-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Does anyone have a broken one by any chance that they would be willing to send me? I'd love to take a look at it and see if there's a way I can maybe improve it

edit*** I mean the regulator itself, I know we already have the window boss issue fixed from DSE

Msquic
07-19-2019, 06:25 PM
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/23740-Window-regulator-repair-kit

ViperGeorge
07-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Other than the items mentioned above I would also point out that there is a software problem on MY14s and maybe MY13s where the windows will lose it's memory. The problem occurs when you get in the car close the door and immediately start the car (like in 1 second or so). When you do this the smart glass no longer goes up that last quarter inch. You can retrain the windows but it will happen again if you repeat the door close/start process quickly. There is a software fix for this though. The software update makes the window go up all the way once the car is started, kind of a bandaid. So after the update you close the door and the glass doesn't go up but once you start the car it finishes it's upward movement. If your car has been to the dealer at some point for service it is possible they did the update but then again maybe they didn't.

Special Ed
07-20-2019, 09:53 AM
The passenger window on my 2015 was rattling. I bought the DSE window bosses. When I went to replace them I found both bolts had backed out almost half way. The bosses where not damaged. I removed the bolts and applied loctite and reinstalled the bolts. There didn't appear to any thread compound on the bolts from the factory. This was six months ago and the window has been trouble free since that time.
I wonder do the bolts come loose first and then the boss fails or is my situation unique. I still have the DSE parts if they are needed in the future.