PDA

View Full Version : GenII track improvements

mackzilla
10-24-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm looking for ways to get my 2000 GTS to perform better and was wondering if anyone out there might know of some "low hanging fruits" for suspension/braking improvements? I've been pretty impressed with the performance of this 18 year old vehicle on stock suspension. Every event I'm flirting with fastest time of the day and I'd really like to get one of those under my belt next season.

Aside from engine/flywheel mods this is what I got:
Fresh Toyo r888/r888r tires
Cheapo pads the PO put on here (what pads do you guys like?)
I've refreshed my bushings/joints with oem hardware
I have the Konis but they're on soft setting in all corners (what settings do you think work best?)
Spring caps from JonB

Alignment specs I'm running:
F -1.8*
R -1*
Toe: 1/16" in Front, 1/8" in Rear

The biggest love/hate I have about competing in the Viper so far is it has the most intense over steer on lift I've ever experienced. It does not allow you to be timid with the throttle and I think that's what makes some of the locals I've seen be really, well, slow. Is this characteristic of g2s or does anyone think maybe it's my current setup?

Thanks!

AZTVR
10-24-2017, 09:39 AM
I have seen these recommended: http://www.viperpartsrack.com/anti-toe-bracket

mackzilla
10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Thanks AZ, I'll ask Jon about those.

I'm guessing here: if we are under hard braking the "flex" would cause a toe-out scenario as the momentum of the weight would pull forward ahead of the wheels and brakes? IF that were the case, that part could be a remedy to some of the severe trail braking?

AZTVR
10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
I felt improvement when I installed them; but, I am just an intermediate driver, not driving near the car's limits, so, I couldn't say what you might expect.

FrankBarba
10-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Go with Hoosiers. Also contact GTS Dean. He is very informative on the Gen 2 cars set up for the track.

GTS Dean
10-24-2017, 05:06 PM
I run more toe-in at the rear, more rebound stiffness at the rear, and anti-toe brackets at the rear. Lift-throttle oversteer can totally ruin your day in a Gen 1-2 Viper. Throttle steer done right is very rewarding. If you have to lift, do so AS GENTLY as possible. Unequal rear caster (almost impossible for the average shop to measure) can lead to strangely unbalanced handling.

mackzilla
10-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Dean that's what I'm talking about - thank you. Gonna shoot you a pm.