PDA

View Full Version : Battery keeps dying

sparkrn
10-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have a clever idea on how to keep the battery charged during winter storage than a battery tender. My last 2002 ACR didn't seem to discharge as fast as the one I currently own.:confused:

MoparBoyy
10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
other than a battery tender? you could just disconnect the battery completely. however to keep a battery in shape you want to put it on a tender anyways. leaving a battery just laying around for 5-6 months isn't good for it either.

plumcrazy
10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
battery tender is the best way

slitherv10
10-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Take it out for rides every Sunday. Just don't do it on Christmas day if it falls on that day. I always seem to forget to get back to family after I go for a cruise. Watch out for the snow banks though. :Canada:

Battery tender is the only logical option. If it's still discharged then get a new battery. The tender will only maintain what is there. If what is there (your current battery). is week then when you remove it from the battery and take the car out in spring, it will drain again and leave you stranded. check the charge on the battery first before you decide to replace it. Or it may be an alternator issue. If it doesn't hold the charge then it may also be a short in the system.

99RT10
10-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Are you arming your alarm for the time you aren't driving the car? If so, that is why your battery is dieing. Just just put good locks and an alarm on you garage instead.

mjorgensen
10-28-2013, 10:25 AM
This is what we use, you can install it back by the battery and just leave enough of a "pigtail" available to get and extension cord on iy when you are not driving it much. I always had one on my car even in the summer to keep the battery healthy because of the cycling effect it has "drain and charge like during use".

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/CTEK-Multi-US-3300-Battery-Charger-p/c003.htm

slitherv10
10-30-2013, 12:37 PM
This is what we use, you can install it back by the battery and just leave enough of a "pigtail" available to get and extension cord on iy when you are not driving it much. I always had one on my car even in the summer to keep the battery healthy because of the cycling effect it has "drain and charge like during use".

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/CTEK-Multi-US-3300-Battery-Charger-p/c003.htm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's the same battery maintainer I use on all my vehicles for years and it works perfect. I recommend it as well. You can find them on sale here at Canadian tire stores for 39.99 every now and then. good deal.

Alex Mills
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I just throw it on a Battery Tender and run the wire out the nose of my car.

However there is a low power mode that you can enable, at least on the Gen 4's. I'm not sure if the Gen 2's have it as well or not.

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Look at the LEDs on your door-lock switches. Are they staying ON all the time? BINGO!

If so, you have a switched alarm circuit open, usually the hood switch. And Alarmed cars drain juice.

Use a fully-floating-automatic Tender..... a tender will even keep the charge with an alarmed,or open-circuit car.

Ricketts
10-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Just go to Walmart and get the battery maintainer they stock. It's only like $20 and works great.

ROKTMAN
10-30-2013, 02:55 PM
I use a C Tec ,kinda like the battery tender I suppose.I have one mounted in each vehicle and just plug it in .They are self contained within the engine bay.

sparkrn
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I bought a tender and new battery both. Then hooked the short pig tail directly to the battery with the capped end just barely hangin out between frame and battery cover. With the car on a lift, its pretty simple to hook and unhook. Thanks again.

Leslie
11-01-2013, 03:51 AM
I didn't know that about the alarm possibly draining the battery! Good to know.

Is there a way to completely shut the hood? This will be my first yr. In 8 yrs. Keeping my Viper under cover
All winter.

ViperGTS
11-01-2013, 04:23 AM
battery tender either in the cigarette plug or under the hood where the pcm is for gen2...hood can be closed, watch for the cables, car locked and secure.
never had a problem in 13 winters so far.

Troublemaker
11-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Look at the LEDs on your door-lock switches. Are they staying ON all the time? BINGO!

If so, you have a switched alarm circuit open, usually the hood switch. And Alarmed cars drain juice.

Use a fully-floating-automatic Tender..... a tender will even keep the charge with an alarmed,or open-circuit car.

I have to admit, I didnt even know my car had an alarm, but I definately have the LEDs staying lit. Where is the hood switch? I would assume a normally closed contact which could be jumpered. I keep mine on a tender, but I would also like to find the root cause.

Leslie
11-01-2013, 08:05 AM
battery tender either in the cigarette plug or under the hood where the pcm is for gen2...hood can be closed, watch for the cables, car locked and secure.
never had a problem in 13 winters so far.

Ok thanks gonna try it. Yeh the cables on mine seem like they were a problem before when I tried it.

ViperGTS
11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
GTS, window down a bit (anyway for air circulation) cable from cig plug through window gap to the outside....voila.

Luisv
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Storage? Winter? What's that?!?!?!

Best driving season for me just started!

Can't help it... it's a Florida owner thing. :o

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Some other "Winter Storage Tips" courtesy of SRT:

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2013/11/preparing-srt-vehicles-for-winter-storage.html

schulmann
11-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I lost my Canadian Tire battery after 12 month (Made in China ?), fortunately it was under warranty.

The new one has been in the Viper for 18 months. You need to keep the battery charged all the time.
For winter storage remove the battery connections and keep the battery above 50F.

Next time I wil spend $40 on the battery and get a better one.

ChiViper1
11-11-2013, 08:50 PM
I have a CTEK and I have had nothing but great experience with it. I like that it doesn't over charge the battery as well