PDA

View Full Version : My new to me 96 Viper GTS

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 07:56 AM
I've posted a few threads over the last couple weeks about my search for a new to me 96 GTS to replace my old one that I was forced to sell last year and then the fun times I had getting it out of Tampa before the hurricane.

I've had it a week now and just finished the initial clean up and run through of the car. There are a few issues to address, the Radio/amp is disconnected (so I will have to rewire it), it pops out of reverse when moving if I don't hold it in gear, and it has a 'noise' coming from the rear (enough of a noise to keep me from driving it until I have time to get it up on the lift and do a closer inspection), and the AC system has a leak (just like my old one that I will have to fix), the power windows seem a little 'slow' but still work, and the passenger door panel is broken in the typical spot in the upper corner so I had to add an extra screw to it in a non stock location. Overall I'm pretty happy though.

I took a couple poser pics in the low AM sun today to share.

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 07:57 AM

Boosted Motorsports
09-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Nice! Interesting that inside of your hood is painted.

Might have to replace your sign on the lift now :D

ViperDC
09-15-2017, 09:34 AM
lookin good. i like those wheels

swexlin
09-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Very nice. The transmission issue would concern me, hopefully it's something simple. Sounds like the rest is minor maintenance.

capevettes
09-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Congratulations. Great looking car. You may get lucky with the rear end with a fluid change. Enjoy the car.

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 10:21 AM
lookin good. i like those wheels

Not sure I do.....DC isn't that far away..... ;)

I like my old 18 CCW better because of the smoother lip but overall had a very similar appears.

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Nice! Interesting that inside of your hood is painted.

Might have to replace your sign on the lift now :D

Yeah I miss the stock blanket/heat shield...it always made a sneaky pete appear on the hood in the evening if you were getting condensation. I suspect it was removed when they added the SC to make it fit better.

As for the sign....I'll still put the viper on that lift ;).

Geronimo
09-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Like it!

Boosted Motorsports
09-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Also your reverse issue might be as simple as a tired/worn engine and/or transmission mounts and the shift lever is hitting the chassis and not fully engaging. Also quite common with aftermarket short throw shifters. Popping the center console and checking the operation would quickly determine this or pop the pan off the bottom when you have it on the lift and check mounts & operation that way.

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip on the mounts. I was already planning on inspecting them to see if maybe that could explain my weird noise (as well as all the universals)....I was thinking maybe the rear trans mount had slop in it.

MacGyvers Mullet
09-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Is it a clunk or a whine from the rear end? If a clunk, it may be the joints. If a whine, it may be missing the friction modifier additive in the rear diif fluid. Would be good to change all fluids anyhow, any time buying a used car.

Hopefully, the reverse gear problem is an easy fix. It very well may be a shift fork and slider problem inside the transmission, as to where the slider is not fully engaging. Is it tough to get into gear? Does the transmission have a lot of wobble in it? A lot of engine shake, beyond the normal 96 car shake? Get under it and check the mounts before anything.

dodgestang
09-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Thumping sound. Gas on/gas off/clutch in/clutch out.....thump thump thump....faster thump faster speed, but no thump when stationary and idle increases. Also doesn't change speed when I shift gears at same speed.

Steve-Indy
09-16-2017, 05:58 AM
Could it be a tire that is out of round or flat-spotted?

ICPREY
09-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Nice ride and Roe setup!

dodgestang
09-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Could it be a tire that is out of round or flat-spotted?

It could be....when I first heard it my inclination was "I've got a flat tire"