PDA

View Full Version : Viper Profile vs Ferrari F12 and F812 Superfast

WyoSRT
09-11-2017, 07:09 PM
I can generally accept a difference of opinion on subjective items such as body shape or paint color, but the Viper historically has received undo criticism from the press for its shape. I have read various references to the Viper as being a “clown shoe”, “all hood and no body” or simply an ugly throwback to the Cobra Daytona. However, the press seems to be enamored with the Ferrari F12 and F812 Superfast for their aggressive shape from front to rear that exudes performance ‘in the tradition of exclusive front engine sports cars’. How different is their profile from the Viper? Is it simply because it's a Ferrari vs a Dodge?

TrackAire
09-11-2017, 08:06 PM
I actually like the Gen 5 exterior better then the Ferrari's shown except for a couple things. On the front wheelwell of the Gen 5 Viper, the distance from the top of the wheelwell opening to the top of the fender has too much bulge or surface area when viewed in profile. I think that line could have been lowered at least an inch. That is the one spot on the Gen 5 that cannot be fixed. I would also like a slightly different front grill. Other than that, the curves on the Viper kick butt.

Regarding car brands and preferences....you'll never be able to sway people when it comes brand allegiance. When it comes to a name and global admiration, Ferrari will always be more desired than a Dodge.

ViperSmith
09-11-2017, 09:10 PM
The press will and always hated the Viper for some insane reason.

ViperDC
09-12-2017, 02:44 PM
the new 812 is badass

ACRSNK
09-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Similarities are striking. Wish they did more aggressive headlights on the Viper similar to the 812.

Terminator02
09-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Honestly I never heard the press really focus on the viper being unattractive. Generally, it is considered rather attractive and timeless. The clownshoe was an older gen 2 reference and I kinda see it and the humor. There are very few cars that make a viper disappear: especially gen 2 and V. Those aide profile pics are misleading as we have a production viper paired next to computer models with light build into the paint. A rear side 3/4 view makes the viper look better than almost any current or past gen vehicle. Again, i only remember complaints about crappy plastic interiors, scorching cabin heat, burnt legs, and impractical killer vehicle impossible to drive: looks were always a positive factor.

Scott_in_fl
09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
A business suit by American designers and another by Italian designers also look "similar". That is, they both have two legs on the pants, and two arms on the jacket.

So, yes, we may be driving the Polo -- and it looks great. But it ain't no Zegna.

512BB
09-12-2017, 04:48 PM
The press will and always hated the Viper for some insane reason.

Because they are insane cars and that's why we love them, coz we insane too (I hope).

BrianACR
09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Because they are insane cars and that's why we love them, coz we insane too (I hope).

Yes, we must be insane. Or have some sort of other issue :very_drunk:

And yes, press hates them. They are 'rough and brutish and uncomfortable and bare bones...' etc etc. But when Porsche(or Ferrari, or heck, even a corvette) offers a bare bones rough track special road car, it's praised by the media for being so bare and brash and manly. Ya, I don't get it either.

Bruce H.
09-12-2017, 05:21 PM
I've not seen a common dislike from the press either. But then again I've learned to disregard everything subjective from 99% of the automotive press. Coincidentally, the 1% that I find credible just happen to love the Viper!

The least biased opinion you'll ever get is from kids. When they see a Viper they're in awe, and don't know or care who makes it!

VenomSnake
09-12-2017, 09:07 PM
The Viper looks way better than that Ferrari. The lines are so clean on the Viper. The stance and everything about it. I really like the area where the hood and door meet better than the Ferrari.

IHOP
09-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Honestly I never heard the press really focus on the viper being unattractive. Generally, it is considered rather attractive and timeless. The clownshoe was an older gen 2 reference and I kinda see it and the humor. There are very few cars that make a viper disappear: especially gen 2 and V. Those aide profile pics are misleading as we have a production viper paired next to computer models with light build into the paint. A rear side 3/4 view makes the viper look better than almost any current or past gen vehicle. Again, i only remember complaints about crappy plastic interiors, scorching cabin heat, burnt legs, and impractical killer vehicle impossible to drive: looks were always a positive factor.

I agree! It was always regarded as a car only for serious car enthusiasts but it was criticized for some short falls. However I don't remember it being criticized for it's looks, at least not Gen I, II and V's.

swexlin
09-13-2017, 06:09 AM
F12 is my fav car on the Planet. 'Nuff said!

ek1
09-13-2017, 08:28 AM
I can generally accept a difference of opinion on subjective items such as body shape or paint color, but the Viper historically has received undo criticism from the press for its shape. I have read various references to the Viper as being a “clown shoe”, “all hood and no body” or simply an ugly throwback to the Cobra Daytona. However, the press seems to be enamored with the Ferrari F12 and F812 Superfast for their aggressive shape from front to rear that exudes performance ‘in the tradition of exclusive front engine sports cars’. How different is their profile from the Viper? Is it simply because it's a Ferrari vs a Dodge?

The clown shoe references were about Gen 1 mostly. Both Viper and F12/Superfast are beautiful cars and they do have a similar profile. You need to see both in person to appreciate the subtle details. Major differences are that the wheelbase in those Ferraris is over 8" longer than the Viper's, which allows the engine to be positioned entirely behind the front axle. This also affects the dash to axle ratio. The dash in the Ferrari is also lower, which enhances front visibility.

TIME
09-13-2017, 09:13 AM
IMHO:
The F12 design is a bit "off", and it got worse with the F812. Looks like they were trying too hard with the F812. Some press reviews and some Ferrari owners even agree..
I think that the Gen 5 Viper design is mostly a home run. The looks of the Viper inside/out was a big part of my decision to buy one.

Terminator02
09-13-2017, 11:47 AM
IMHO:
The F12 design is a bit "off", and it got worse with the F812. Looks like they were trying too hard with the F812. Some press reviews and some Ferrari owners even agree..
I think that the Gen 5 Viper design is mostly a home run. The looks of the Viper inside/out was a big part of my decision to buy one.

Agree. Love the ferrari for some of the engineering and subjective points but the side profile is the most flattering pose in my opinion. Rear is eerily vette similar as it is squared off. The rear and rear 3/4 view are not very flattering. For me, it does not flow well overall like a viper does. Here are a ton of real world pictures that show a more accurate picture of the car. I personally think the 488 looks better but there is no denying the appeal of this instant collector imo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2018-ferrari-812-superfast-first-drive-review-gallery#19

Terminator02
09-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Off topic to the exterior, I will say it has a beautiful interior that appears to be minimalist, very exotic and functional. I would take two!

ForTehNguyen
09-13-2017, 12:28 PM
AMG GT also

ViperDC
09-13-2017, 01:42 PM
IMHO:
Some press reviews and some Ferrari owners even agree..

Ferrari owners badmouth every new design then they rush out to get one. The 812 is a giant improvement over the F12. The move to 4 tail lights is huge and now the backend doesn't look like a medical diagram of a vagina like the F12

ek1
09-13-2017, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=ForTehNguyen;318040]AMG GT also

I hate that round ass. Ruins the whole car IMHO.

ForTehNguyen
09-13-2017, 01:53 PM
AMG GT took heavy inspiration from the dead sexy 1950s Benz Gullwing, has a similar round butt

ek1
09-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Ferrari owners badmouth every new design then they rush out to get one. The 812 is a giant improvement over the F12. The move to 4 tail lights is huge and now the backend doesn't look like a medical diagram of a vagina like the F12

I don't know about them rushing to get any new design. There is never a rush to get any of the Berlinetta cars (i.e. the GT). Same with 4-seaters. With FF they had to do a special lease program with 60% (!!!) residual to get cars out of the door. Cars in big demand are the mid-range (488) and hypercars (LaF). Agree on the Superfast and the 4 tail lights 100% - looks hot! Not sure about the front, I sort of liked F12 better. I drove both the F12 and the GT4 Lusso and was VERY impressed. That engine sound alone is like crack!