PDA

View Full Version : Viper Stripes (through license plate area)

GhostStalker27
02-03-2014, 08:30 PM
So this is what my car looks like, typical no stripe through license plate area

I know the first year Gen2 GTS's had the stripe go through like this

I think the stripes going through the plate area give it a more finished look. My question is - has anyone attempted to do this to their Gen2 vipers, if so how did you go about doing it? and what can you expect it to cost? and how did it come out?

Luisv
02-03-2014, 08:42 PM
The stripes from factory are "paint over clear". This means the cars was painted using a base coat and clear (like virtually all modern cars are today) and then have a "single stage" painted on top of that for the stripes. That paint is a glossy finish.

If you were to "complete" the lines, the body shop would likely start the lines a hairline in from where the body plastic turns into the license plate area and then end it where the plastic turns back into the car right above the bumper. To do this properly (open for discussion as to what that means... but for me means perfection and no chance of seeing the paint line end) you would have to remove the bumper before painting the lines so the finish is hidden between the rear tail light surround and the upper side of the bumper.

Cost will vary wildly between shops. But it will take some time (expensive part) and if I was a betting man, I'd guess they'd hit you up for $500 if not more to do the 10 inch (linear) paint job. I am not a painter or body shop so I may be way off....

GhostStalker27
02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
The stripes from factory are "paint over clear". This means the cars was painted using a base coat and clear (like virtually all modern cars are today) and then have a "single stage" painted on top of that for the stripes. That paint is a glossy finish.\.

Thanks for the information, I was told by a Viper seller (before buying mine) that the stripes are vinyl with clear coat over the top?

Luisv
02-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the information, I was told by a Viper seller (before buying mine) that the stripes are vinyl with clear coat over the top?

That is not true. They are painted. No question. You can see this if you check the extremes of the stripes or near the front air scoop where you'll see the paint spray or the fact only paint could be so perfect at the seams of the scoop. If it where vinyl you'd see the cuts.

Another easy way to know... Dodge provides the paint code for the stripe colors.... If it was not paint.... There would be no color code... Right?

GhostStalker27
02-03-2014, 09:44 PM
That is not true. They are painted. No question. You can see this if you check the extremes of the stripes or near the front air scoop where you'll see the paint spray or the fact only paint could be so perfect at the seams of the scoop. If it where vinyl you'd see the cuts.

Another easy way to know... Dodge provides the paint code for the stripe colors.... If it was not paint.... There would be no color code... Right?

Right, that's a good point

Coloviper
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I would do some additional checking as I am pretty sure some were vinyl. Depends on year!

Leslie
02-04-2014, 02:19 AM
My last GenII I painted the stripes thru the plates, then clear coated it.
I like that look.

VIPER BAZ UK
02-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Mine are after market and Vinyl .. But i went through the license plate area..

Lelie that ACR looks stunning!!!!!!!

Fatboy 18
02-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Painted Stripes on my 2000 GTS

Sybil TF
02-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Painted from the factory on my 96GTS.

Troublemaker
02-04-2014, 08:02 AM
I believe all of the factory stripes were paint, mine on my 96 are definitely painted.

Allan
02-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Another easy way to know... Dodge provides the paint code for the stripe colors.... If it was not paint.... There would be no color code... Right?hmmm.....
I don't know about the earlier cars, but for the gen III and later, Chrysler/Dodge does not have the paint codes for the stripes. Only the base color.
The stripes were applied outside of CAAP at Prefix.
(I tried to get touch-up paint for my stripes and found this out)

RedTanRT/10
02-04-2014, 08:34 AM
GhostStalker,

You have a very rare and really great looking blue/silver ACR. While there are hundred's of rare vipers and paint combo's, Silver/Blue is one of the most desirable GTS combo's. Plus yours is an ACR. So, IMO, Don't Paint Extra Stripes.

To the stripe question, the 96 blue/white gts has stripes in the license plate area, and so does the 2010's

Most of the factory stripes on vipers are paint, exception is the '96 convertibles, which are tape. Don't think there are any other tape stripes but possible on some of the limited additions Gen III convertibles.

Leslie
02-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Mine are after market and Vinyl .. But i went through the license plate area..

Lelie that ACR looks stunning!!!!!!!

thanks!!!! can't wait for spring to drive it haha

GhostStalker27
02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
You have a very rare and really great looking blue/silver ACR. While there are hundred's of rare vipers and paint combo's, Silver/Blue is one of the most desirable GTS combo's. Plus yours is an ACR. So, IMO, Don't Paint Extra Stripes.

Thanks and I'm glad you mentioned it. Because I feel if one owns a rare or special vehicle then they have a responsibility to keep it that way (some probably disagree). But I'd never do anything to my car that couldn't easily be changed back - I was hoping there was a kit or someone offered method to adding vinyl that can be removed easily without any damage, if not I will not do anything. (I realize it may have came off differently in my original post)

RedTanRT/10
02-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Glad to hear, no paint!

2010.Blue.White.ACR
02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
hmmm.....
I don't know about the earlier cars, but for the gen III and later, Chrysler/Dodge does not have the paint codes for the stripes. Only the base color.

What color are your stripes?? PM me your vin I might be able to find out the color

Luisv
02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
hmmm.....

I've not tried to do an exhaustive search because my stripes are easy to find, but I am fairly certain on the painted stripes. There may be an odd year/option available in a vinyl, but to this day (Gen 5) Dodge/SRT has the stripes painted on a Viper. I just read this a few weeks back. Caught my eye in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/01/19/chrysler-srt-viper-paint-job/4582633/

As for which years do and don't.... I won't lie, I am not certain... However, I have yet to see a Gen II, III or IV with factory applied vinyl. Does not mean I've seen every year...... but I've seen cars from 98 to date. All painted.

dodgefever
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM

When I added the Charcoal color vinyl stripes to my car, I instructed him to do whatever it takes to do the vinyl in the scoop area to look like they were painted. He cussed me for days but in the end he did a good job.

ViperGeorge
02-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Vipers with stripes from the factory are painted. Period. Not vinyl. If vinyl they are not original. Don't believe me call Jon B. You can get touch up paint for stripes, I ordered it for my 06 FE Coupe and I have it for my 08 Viper Bright Blue with Silver stripes. Jon B would know the paint codes. I think the white stripes on my FE was called Stone White. Can't remember the color of my 08 stripes, something like bright silver.

By the way your car looks good with stripes going through the plate area. More finished.

Allan
02-04-2014, 10:36 PM
What color are your stripes?? PM me your vin I might be able to find out the colorThey were silver, on blue.

I had an ugly incident with the car.
I opted to do a full repaint and color change at the time.
Went with Venom Red with no stripes.
.........feel kinda stupid now because the entire Viper community thinks that Venom Red sucks and is the least desirable color of Viper ever made.
I think it looks killer in the sunlight and have no regrets. -what matters is that I like it.
I almost went with Snakeskin Green, but that color is so visible I'd never be able to hide from the cops.

slitherv10
02-05-2014, 08:34 AM
They were silver, on blue.

I had an ugly incident with the car.
I opted to do a full repaint and color change at the time.
Went with Venom Red with no stripes.
.........feel kinda stupid now because the entire Viper community thinks that Venom Red sucks and is the least desirable color of Viper ever made.
I think it looks killer in the sunlight and have no regrets. -what matters is that I like it.
I almost went with Snakeskin Green, but that color is so visible I'd never be able to hide from the cops.

I thought the same thing, but, the Venom Red has changed a lot of peoples views towards it as more and more people experienced it live and in different light. It is a very beautiful color if you ask me and in the sunlight it is one of the nicest Viper colors. the metallic blend that comes out in the light is pure magic.

I think you'll be surprised at to the number of people that have changed their minds about that color.

Michael
02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
I have a 2002 Red Viper GTS (with Cognac interior). I am the second owner. The original owner had white stripes painted on the car, which go through the rear license plate area. It was professionally done, and they appear factory applied. People think it is a final addition, until they realize the stripes actually extend through the license plate area, and also see the Cognac interior. Then they just have this puzzled look on their face.

Ron
02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Per the guys (ASC) that originally painted the car in 1996: "The body panels are completely painted with the base color and cleared, then the stripe is then applied, first by lightly scuffing the paint (not to primer). Then, the stripe only is painted with the base color and cleared, after the baking process the stripe is lightly sanded with 2500 grit paper and polished."

Stone White - PW1/SW1

Schen
02-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks and I'm glad you mentioned it. Because I feel if one owns a rare or special vehicle then they have a responsibility to keep it that way (some probably disagree). But I'd never do anything to my car that couldn't easily be changed back - I was hoping there was a kit or someone offered method to adding vinyl that can be removed easily without any damage, if not I will not do anything. (I realize it may have came off differently in my original post)

I thought the exact same thing. I'm going to check with a few folks I know tomorrow, I'll see if there's anything similar to that blue in a vinyl. I would need measurements and a such, gotta trim out that keyhole! But lets see about the color first.

--RS

GhostStalker27
02-09-2014, 10:34 PM
I thought the exact same thing. I'm going to check with a few folks I know tomorrow, I'll see if there's anything similar to that blue in a vinyl. I would need measurements and a such, gotta trim out that keyhole! But lets see about the color first.

--RS

Sounds good! looking forward to what you find out, thank you

Indy
02-19-2014, 01:45 PM
When I added the Charcoal color vinyl stripes to my car, I instructed him to do whatever it takes to do the vinyl in the scoop area to look like they were painted. He cussed me for days but in the end he did a good job.
Thanks for the pic! I'm on the verge of putting stripes on my silver Viper, I was just debating on wether to go for a dark charcoal or a lighter gray. I think your pic made up my mind :D
PS: First post on this forum...looks like a great place!

GhostStalker27
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM

--RS

Sounds good! looking forward to what you find out, thank you

Schen you ever found out more about the vinyl?

PS: First post on this forum...looks like a great place!
Welcome, that's a pretty sick avatar. good stuff

Indy
02-19-2014, 09:02 PM

I've done quite a bit of research lately to find some decent vinyl. Assuming you want to go with a premium material, there aren't many that come in an 8" width (I believe that is the stock stripe width). There are a lot of 5-6 year vinyls out there, but you'll probably regret going with that in the long run. There are only two I've found that I would consider. One is the FDC 2100 Series Premium Cast Vinyl, which is rated for 9 years and comes in 90 (!!) colours, including a lot of blues - so I'm sure you'll find a matching colour (get some samples mailed, so that you can hold them up to your stripe colour).

http://www.fdcfilms.com/series/fdcreg-premium-high-performance-vinyl-filmnbsp
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Indyjones007/FDC2100_zpsb6698107.jpg

The other is the Premium vinyl sold by 1060 Graphics. It's a 10-12 year vinyl, and I've used it before. Quality is superb.

http://www.1060graphics.com/
http://www.1060graphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Premium-Outdoor1.jpg

cheers, Indy :cool:

Schen
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm going to find out Sunday. It's the yearly 'Frozen Knuckle LXForums' event at the Hooters in Paramus. I'm covering the event and my vinyl/badge guy is coming along too. If I get the chance, or if anyone can, get some measurements for me. I'd like to figure out the distance and spacing for the key hole. Wouldn't be to hard to make holes for the plate with an xacto knife.

--RS

Schen
02-19-2014, 09:07 PM
I've done quite a bit of research lately to find some decent vinyl. Assuming you want to go with a premium material, there aren't many that come in an 8" width (I believe that is the stock stripe width). There are a lot of 5-6 year vinyls out there, but you'll probably regret going with that in the long run. There are only two I've found that I would consider. One is the FDC 2100 Series Premium Cast Vinyl, which is rated for 9 years and comes in 90 (!!) colours, including a lot of blues - so I'm sure you'll find a matching colour (get some samples mailed, so that you can hold them up to your stripe colour).

http://www.fdcfilms.com/series/fdcreg-premium-high-performance-vinyl-filmnbsp
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Indyjones007/FDC2100_zpsb6698107.jpg

The other is the Premium vinyl sold by 1060 Graphics. It's a 10-12 year vinyl, and I've used it before. Quality is superb.

http://www.1060graphics.com/
http://www.1060graphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Premium-Outdoor1.jpg

cheers, Indy :cool:

WOW! Look at that! I'm def going to look into that stuff! The guys that did the ACR stripe on my Magnum swore up and down that it was 3M and had a 5 year life expectancy. Well the roof section is all spotty like it has leprosy but the hood is fine. Their excuse was 'act of nature' and told me it would be $150 to fix it.

--RS

Indy
02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
The guys that did the ACR stripe on my Magnum swore up and down that it was 3M and had a 5 year life expectancy.
Well, 3M isn't 3M. They make vinyl ranging from 3 years to a higher quality 8 years. So they probably didn't use the best one. 5 year vinyls are usually a third to half of the price of the premiums (even though the premiums are still fairly cheap overall). This place sells the FDC for a decent price:

http://www.specialty-graphics.com/2100_FDC_Sign_Vinyl_8x10.html

Indy
04-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Quick update. Finally had time to do the stripes :) I went with a darker graphite grey to contrast the silver. Haven't had time for decent photos, here's a quick one in front of the garage. I'll post some pics in the near future. Snake looks completely different now...should have done this a long time ago!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Indyjones007/Signature%20Series%20RT10/Viper%20stripes/Stripes1small_zps167028a4.jpg

V1P3R
04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Looks great!

More Pics!