PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on removing this air bubble

98RedGTS
09-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Been trying to get all the air out of the coolant system on my 98. Even after driving it a couple hundred miles their is still air in the reservoir. It makes pressure and the overflow moves up and down with the temp but this never purges. Here is a picture showing where the water line is. Even tried jacking that corner up to get the bubbles out with no luck.

98RedGTS
09-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Not sure why it's sideways. Can't figure out how go fix on my phone.

Steve-Indy
09-04-2017, 06:00 PM
All of Gen I & II Vipers have a small amount of air at the top of the pressure bottle...keeping the fluid level just below the bottom of the filler neck.

98RedGTS
09-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Dang... I was hoping that was my cooling problem. Got good flow, new Howe radiator, fan is working in hi and low speed, 185 thermostat, tuned for fans and thermostat, new hoses, and overflow functioning as it should.

Even today in only 90 degree temps sitting at idle for 5 mins and the car got to the 3/4 Mark on the gauge. Start driving and it quickly goes back to 190 but sitting still it just keeps rising. Ive got no confidence in driving the car as ive yet to see the temps stabalize and come down without starting to move. Concerns me about getting stuck on the highway...

Fatboy 18
09-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Welcome to my world :) If I drive my car on the Motorway at nice 60mph then the temp gauge will sit just above the 190 mark, but the minute i drop down the gears and play (which is pretty much all the time), my gauge sits a 3/4
Its normally like this or higher but does not actually hit the red.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1501/26351216700_e03aaae1de_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1474/26624585575_bac6320e3f_c.jpg

Don't sweat it :)

Fatboy 18
09-05-2017, 02:43 AM
If you look at the side of the reservoir tank you are pointing to (the side nearest the windscreen) you will notice there is a top and bottom marking on where the coolant level should be. So it is normal for air to be in the top part of that bottle.

The only thing that can honestly bring the temps down is fit pusher fans to the radiator which you can switch on to increase airflow through the radiator. that is presuming your radiator is in top condition. If its been in the car since new it may now need a re core. The Radiator is a useable item and they fur up inside over the years. So if you have changed out everything else a re core would be the next step. There are many shops around that perform this job :)

(I will get mine done this winter) ;)

dave6666
09-05-2017, 04:36 AM
That's a normal level. Just look at the way the reservoir is built and it will be obvious. If you want more cooling add more fans and venting. I'm sure you know by now as I've said it a bazillion times I don't run that hot at 110* ambient. And I have more fans and venting.

Check your ECT with a scan tool. Compare it to the gauge.

You didn't mention your surge tank cap. It's function is critical. If it doesn't hold the correct pressure your temp will go up. 15 psi is about 45* F.

98RedGTS
09-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Fatboy 18 - Brand new Howe is in the car. My stock radiator sprung a leak so I replaced it with this one. It's a 3 core.

Dave6666 - Completely forgot to add that I replaced that as well. I bought a new cap thinking the old one could have been the cause. I've been talking about adding pusher fans for a while now. Was wanting to make sure the car was 100% first as I didn't want to band-aide a potential problem. I don't recall it running this hot with the stock radiator thus where my concern was. Granted I only had about 6 months in the car before the stock one blew on me (bought the car about 1.5 years ago). In your opinion would it be worth while to put the newer style fan on the car (I believe they changed in 99) or just keep my stock fan and add a pusher fan in?

AZTVR
09-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Fatboy 18 - Brand new Howe is in the car. My stock radiator sprung a leak so I replaced it with this one. It's a 3 core.

Dave6666 - Completely forgot to add that I replaced that as well. I bought a new cap thinking the old one could have been the cause. I've been talking about adding pusher fans for a while now. Was wanting to make sure the car was 100% first as I didn't want to band-aide a potential problem. I don't recall it running this hot with the stock radiator thus where my concern was. Granted I only had about 6 months in the car before the stock one blew on me (bought the car about 1.5 years ago). In your opinion would it be worth while to put the newer style fan on the car (I believe they changed in 99) or just keep my stock fan and add a pusher fan in?

I thought that I have read several forum or FB posts this year about upgrading the OEM fan motor (I don't remember if they were talking about the newer or older setup). I can't find those posts. I thought that it was a "known" vendor. I just searched and think that they were talking about ARD. They made a post last year on Instagram showing their plug and play upgrade solution that was drop-in for the OE puller config. https://www.instagram.com/p/BMjqBBVlXD1/?taken-by=ardmotorsports

Geronimo
09-05-2017, 07:57 PM
I thought this air bubble thing was just covered recently? lol