PDA

View Full Version : VOA license plate

ek1
08-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Guys,

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a custom VOA license plate like this?

I finally found the info on what is required to do something like that. All you do is fill out the application. Check it out here: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv415.pdf

The catch is that there is a $6,000 bond that needs to be posted to guarantee a total of 200 plates to be purchased within 24 months.

Maybe we can do some sort of a GoFundMe campaign and get some money.

Imagine all the Vipers in NY rocking this plate.

Topplayer
08-19-2017, 08:00 AM
I would rock that in a heart beat!

ek1
08-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Everyone, just keep in mind....if only 60 dedicated people contribute $100, we are good for the $6K bond.

Maybe VOA can contribute too.

SmoknTires
08-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Heh, actually never thought of that. Great thought. In fact make sure you mention to your President ed. I'm wondering if a region (perhaps the larger ones) would want to pursue this. Very cool.

SlateEd
08-19-2017, 07:38 PM
This is a cool idea! Thanks Eugene for digging up some details there!

We would have to get those first 60 people locked in but it might be feasible.

NY Members - if you're reading this and would be down to pay a little more for your Viper plate, please chime in! I'm sure the club can kick-in if we get close, but wouldn't be prudent to foot a large percentage of the bill....

Very cool!

CopperCrazy
08-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Here in Nebraska we could do this as well. The problem is they require 250 prepaid requests (at $70 a piece) before they will produce the plate. Don't think that is going to happen here. Great idea and good luck!

cubeman
08-20-2017, 09:46 PM
I'll contribute $100, Few options with the bond

1) Raise $6000, if 200 plates are bought then the investors get their money back
2a) Raise $6000, if 200 aren't bought then the money just gets donated to charity
2b) Raise $6000, bond goes to charity regardless of plates bought.

City
08-21-2017, 09:13 AM

NY Members - if you're reading this and would be down to pay a little more for your Viper plate, please chime in! I'm sure the club can kick-in if we get close, but wouldn't be prudent to foot a large percentage of the bill....

Very cool!

I'd do this.

Red venom
08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Do you get to pick the letters and numbers on these?

City
08-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure you would simply order the newly designed plate with your existing registered "letters and numbers".

ek1
08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure you would simply order the newly designed plate with your existing registered "letters and numbers".

Unfortunately you cannot. These plates only have up to 6 characters and regular NY plates have 7. You will have to fill out a form and pay a DMV fee online and then they send you new plates within 60 days. But what you CAN do is get a custom plate WITH the organization logo, as long as it's 6 characters or less. It's $31.95 extra on top of the organization plate.

We can also set it up so that people order these plates without any membership verification online (like BMW CCA allows) or implement verification and make these plates orderable only by phone with verification (like PCA does).

ek1
08-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Very cool!

Ed, I think there is an easier way to do it. You should set up a GoFundMe (or similar) campaign with a goal of $6K. I believe they allow a minimum donation to be set, which will be let's say $50. If VOA decides to pitch in, then you need to implement an approval process so you can verify people's membership when they apply for a plate. VIA sponsorship will also lower the campaign goal. For example, if VOA contributes $1K, then the campaign goal can be $5K total. You can run the campaign for 3 years and if the goal is not reached, all donations will be refunded. Simple and clean.

Maybe some NY-based forum sponsors (if there are any) will pitch in too.

City
08-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately you cannot. These plates only have up to 6 characters and regular NY plates have 7. You will have to fill out a form and pay a DMV fee online and then they send you new plates within 60 days. But what you CAN do is get a custom plate WITH the organization logo, as long as it's 6 characters or less. It's $31.95 extra on top of the organization plate.

We can also set it up so that people order these plates without any membership verification online (like BMW CCA allows) or implement verification and make these plates orderable only by phone with verification (like PCA does).

Shows you what I know about license plates! :witless: Unless there's been a change, NYS allowed 8 letters on their plates. Mine has 8. Anyway, if I had to go to 6, I would need a therapist to help me deal with my lost identity. I'd bet (here I go again) there's not a whole lot of worthwhile 6 letter combinations left in a state of 20 Million.

Red venom
08-21-2017, 06:28 PM
I think we need an official mock up of this plate design!
I can't visualize it with the BMW plate.

ek1
08-22-2017, 09:22 AM
I think we need an official mock up of this plate design!
I can't visualize it with the BMW plate.

I don't have a copy of Photoshop anymore, but just imagine the Stryker logo or VOA logo instead of BMW CCA and on the bottom where it says "BMW Car Club of America" it will say something like "Viper Owners Association" or "Life at Redline" :)

I wish the surround color could be changed, but I think it has to be dark blue for all plates.

Check out some other recreational org plates they have: Go to https://dmv.ny.gov/custom-plates/organizations and click "Recreational Organizations" on the right side of the page.

SmoknTires
08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
I'll share the ones I did when I was IL region president. We used to do these every other year and we tied them to the national gatherings. Now these plates are different in how they are registered, as they aren't permanent plates, but moreso event plates. I think good for 60-90 days. People would get them for the trip to VOI, we'd usually have a good portion of people join in. We would usually use the event logo from the event. Here is one with the snakehead that was more general. The state really makes this tough in terms of design, my VP at the time spent a ton of time dealing with them. But I think a permanent club plate would be a neat thing to do for members. Obviously it's w regional effort since it varies state to state (some may not even have a program like this). Share your plate designs if you do them.

SlateEd
08-22-2017, 08:13 PM
I believe the NYS plates that are 'themed' or specialized to an organization also include the 3 letter setup such as the Harley club has HOG and Porsche clube has PCA in every plate. As long as we don't exceed 999 members that will be fine (probably safe haha)

Would be interesting to get lower numbers if you commit up front, for example Eugene could have 001VOA.

I would also be curious to see about the same idea in Connecticut - Mike, Tony, Anyone have some experience with establishing a custom plate through CT DMV? If we could share design language between the two states that would be great.

I'm crazed with the track day coming up and GenV shopping, but will try to get some mock-ups done over the next few days and start taking votes... see if we can generate a ton of interest with a real design in place.

Red venom
08-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Your gen v shopping Ed? You better get a slate one
or you'll have to change your name. Red Ed has a nice ring to it!

SlateEd
08-23-2017, 07:01 AM

...all I can say is this custom plate won't need to be Amber and Navy like the standard tags - and that will look better on every color Viper!

mcmasad
08-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Ed - check out capital dodge in garner NC. They just got in a beautiful red with black stripes TA.

pony23
08-23-2017, 08:49 AM
I believe the NYS plates that are 'themed' or specialized to an organization also include the 3 letter setup such as the Harley club has HOG and Porsche clube has PCA in every plate. As long as we don't exceed 999 members that will be fine (probably safe haha)

Would be interesting to get lower numbers if you commit up front, for example Eugene could have 001VOA.

I would also be curious to see about the same idea in Connecticut - Mike, Tony, Anyone have some experience with establishing a custom plate through CT DMV? If we could share design language between the two states that would be great.

I'm crazed with the track day coming up and GenV shopping, but will try to get some mock-ups done over the next few days and start taking votes... see if we can generate a ton of interest with a real design in place.

For CT you must show proof of being a non profit organization. Then you need 400 applications to get them made. No bond or anything else needed.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=811&q=276588

thetalonguy
08-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Definitely a cool idea and would love to show support for our great club. But I could see some people giving up their current vanity problematic; especially if we have to drop down to 3 characters. Have to figure 2 or 3 out of 5 owner's already have a vanity plate that they won't want to give up.

If this doesn't pan out, maybe we could have a custom club plate frame designed?

SlateEd
08-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Ed - check out capital dodge in garner NC. They just got in a beautiful red with black stripes TA.

Thanks Adam - I have something in the works :-)

SlateEd
08-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Okay - here's a few mockups - one old-style plate and one new-style. Not sure if they would let us pick the old one, so might need to be the one with darker blue and yellow trim.

anyway - take a look,

thetalonguy
08-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Those do look great Ed. Love the old style.

ek1
08-23-2017, 09:29 PM

I vote for Gunmetal Gray, but I am biased :)

ek1
08-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Definitely a cool idea and would love to show support for our great club. But I could see some people giving up their current vanity problematic; especially if we have to drop down to 3 characters. Have to figure 2 or 3 out of 5 owner's already have a vanity plate that they won't want to give up.

If this doesn't pan out, maybe we could have a custom club plate frame designed?

I am 99.99% sure we do NOT have to drop down to 3 characters. All these plates have 6 and that's what we are going to get.

ek1
08-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Okay - here's a few mockups - one old-style plate and one new-style. Not sure if they would let us pick the old one, so might need to be the one with darker blue and yellow trim.

anyway - take a look,

Ed,

What do you think about simplifying the graphic part little? Maybe just leave the flag and the VOA logo? Or maybe three Viper logos and a flag behind?

Red venom
08-23-2017, 11:45 PM
I like logo on the Illinois plate. So can it be any 6 letters or numbers combos
or does it have to be 3 numbers and then three letters for New York plates if not a vanity?

ViperTony
08-23-2017, 11:47 PM
For CT you must show proof of being a non profit organization. Then you need 400 applications to get them made. No bond or anything else needed.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=811&q=276588

Have be a non-profit in CT with a valid sec of state number. Besides the DMV being a cluster @@@@ since the system upgrades two years ago so good luck.

Goat19642004
08-24-2017, 07:27 AM
I'll do it. If we do the XXXVOA format, could we pick the number? Could we also keep our custom plate number as an option if it is 6 characters?

cubeman
08-24-2017, 08:19 AM
I work for a library and have the organization plates. You get 6 letters that you can customize or 6 random ones. Maybe you could give specifics to the DMV to only do numbered ones like XXXVOA but i'd much rather be able to have the option to customize mine.

Example of the library ones, You have the logo and bottom text.

Red venom
09-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Any update on if this is going from mock up
to reality?

ek1
09-06-2017, 10:09 PM
I think Ed should start a GoFundMe campaign. If we get $6K, we can design a plate and everyone who contributed to the campaign will get a chance to comment on the design. If we don't get $6K, there is no point of designing the plate.

cubeman
09-08-2017, 01:35 PM
I think Ed should start a GoFundMe campaign. If we get $6K, we can design a plate and everyone who contributed to the campaign will get a chance to comment on the design. If we don't get $6K, there is no point of designing the plate.

Yep, perfect time for Ed to do it also since I just spent $85 registering custom plates on the viper ;)

vipertank
09-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Yea, I remember when the NY plates went from a nice blue and white scheme to the FUGLY crapola colors they force on us now. It's like the state had a surplus of the paint they use on the pavement in construction zones and didn't know what to do with it. I'd like the Viper plate for sure...especially in B/W :), might even put them on my "normal" car too! Lol

ViperTony
09-09-2017, 11:53 AM

I'd donate but I need money for tires. :p