PDA

View Full Version : Stock cats to hi flow cats need recommendations

YJK
08-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I just got a 2001 rt/10. My first drive was 98 outside temp. In just 10 miles i was feeling the heat at my side. Opened the door and the sill could burn your hand. I dont want to make it louder, this has to be the quietest car i own. But a little won't hurt. So i have spent several hours reading posts about cats. What i have not found much is model numbers our brands that work well for the viper. I just want to change out the stock cats for hi flows.

I am a mech contractor, i can weld, so i would like to do the work myself. There are dozens of cats out there that look like they will work. So anyone have model numbers that will work please let me know.

I also plan on upgrading the heat sheilds in the side sills.
Thanks

MacGyvers Mullet
08-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Have you considered a cat removal and tune? You could get more bang out of your buck and still have lower temps than high flows. I have done a cat removal and proper tune (along with corsa cat back) and it was the best mod(s) that I could have done to the car.

uvbnbit
08-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Hi flows will reduce heat, No cats will practically get rid of all of it. HUGE difference. I was catless for 6 yrs, but fumes were excessive, bumper stain on silver car got old buffing, polishing, wet sanding it out etc. Never could seem to tune it out (without spending significant $$). I doubt you'll need to change sill insulation if you go to hi flows. They [insulation] are pricey too.

plumcrazy
08-10-2017, 05:49 AM
get rid of the cats and install a bullet muffler in its place

98RedGTS
08-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Couple of option.

You can buy a kit from Jon B or Roe that has the cats already welded to the correct length of pipe. You then just cut your current ones out and clamp the new ones in (can also weld them too).

You can buy just the cats. Look for 200 Cell bullet style cats rated for 8+ liters. Price will dictate which ones you go with on this option. Call Jegs or Summit and they can help you out.

You can go with no cats as suggested. I went that route for a couple of months. I put high flows back on. I know most will tell you to go this route but for me the fumes weren't worth it so I went back to the high flows. Their is more heat but with the AC on I don't feel it in the car. Getting out of the car you do feel it.

For the heat, also check that the shields are not sitting on your exhaust. Over time they will tend to lose their shape and will sit on the cats. You can take the side sills off and make sure their is a gap between the heat shields and the exhaust. If not, push it back in place.

MacGyvers Mullet
08-10-2017, 10:12 AM
I cannot speak to anyone else regarding the fumes, but what helped on my end was a combination of identifying a very small leak on one of the clamps straight pipe (it doesn't take much) and then a proper tune (with the cat removal in mind) from Dan Cragin. I don't even notice any smell inside the cabin anymore. Yes, you can smell it behind the car if you stick your face in the exhaust pipes, but nothing of note in the cabin. I also don't have any soot build up on the rear bumper.

The complete cat removal drastically lowered the temps on the side sills and there is no need for upgrading the heat shields.

Geronimo
08-10-2017, 10:46 AM
I have no cats and no fumes or crap on the back of my muffler. I'm starting to believe that many don't know what they are doing when it comes to tuning.

dave6666
08-10-2017, 11:04 AM
High flow cats and sill venting = no heat. But I wanted it ridiculously loud and now have no cats. And zero smell.

Call Lou Belanger and get the cats he sells. He can make any piece you need. He does amazing work.

YJK
08-10-2017, 02:18 PM
98redGts thanks for the tech data. This is what i need to narrow the search.

Dave6666 ill look you belanger and see what they have.

As far as dropping the cats, i don't have someone to help me tune the car to see about getting it tuned for no cats. That is some of the reason for just going with hi flows. Also i drive alot in the cooler months and like the top off and windows down, really don't want to contend with the smell.

Thanks guys.

City
08-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Been a while since I checked, but Sean Roe makes an excellent set and JonB sells Random Tech cats, which are also highly regarded. Worth a couple of calls.

YJK
08-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Ok, i just went to all 3 sites, I'm going to order a set from roe racing. Give me a few weeks to get and install them. I've got a thermal camera and I'll take some pics of the before and after. I hope this reduces the heat in the sills.
Thanks for the help.

Off this topic, but i also found a few other items that I'm going to order at the same time.
Ipsco ps pully and bracket, and short thow shifter.

dave6666
08-11-2017, 07:26 AM
IPSCO is good stuff.