PDA

View Full Version : CA Smog Issues

One Viper Bite
08-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering who here has purchased a brand new Viper from out of state and then had it registered in California.

So I took delivery of my 2017 GTC July 15th and I guess that with California's crazy rules I need to get the car smog checked in order to register it. I looked everywhere for the California emissions sticker and couldn't find one. So, I decided to go get it smog checked and the car failed the exhaust and fuel system check. The smog guy told me that it was because the engine and systems weren't broken in and that I needed to take it for a few long drives. Here's the thing:

1. The car has 9 miles on it because I have been waiting for it to get Xpel PPF - this will be done by next week.
2. Insurance won't insure it without registration
3. Registration can't happen without smog check
4. Car won't pass smog without putting an unknown number of miles on it

Has anyone else gone through this? The 30 day in transit registration expires on August 13th and I'm terrified to drive the car without insurance in order to rack up however many miles it needs on it to pass smog.
It's catch 22 and it's the stupidest thing I've every heard of. Not to mention the 10% sales tax I have to pay up in cash up front in order to register it.

I'll probably never buy a car out of state again. Any insight from fellow or ex-Californian's?

KB Viper
08-03-2017, 05:26 PM
usually it takes 50ish miles to get your emissions up and clear for smog. your dealer didn't collect taxes?

swexlin
08-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Brian, as you know, I took delivery of my car from Bill also. Here in PA, my insurance (Westfield) was able to insure it immediately even with the temporary tag, and temporary registration. We have an annual state inspection here as well, in addition to smog in my county. However, cars driven less than 5000 miles per year are smog-exempt, but we still have to pass the first time on initial registration.

Bottom line - check with your insurance company, they should be able to cover you with the temp tags. Just go drive it on some very clean roads for an hour or so, you won't really ding up the car. Then go get it smogged and registered, and you're good to go.

BlueAdder
08-03-2017, 05:43 PM
@OP: You can get some day pass from the DMV or AAA (it's faster). You can get 3 maximum and they will show your VIN and the date on when you decide to drive the car.
I did the same thing for my Lotus because I removed the Turbo and I need to get it through smog. Problem is that I didn't drive the car for over a year and the monitors weren't ready.
I tried to drive some 30 miles, same problem. Then I got the pass from AAA and I drove the car to work and back (80 miles) so the monitors should be ready now.

Once the monitors are ready, go to the smog shop that only wants your money. If you don't have a CEL because of the mods, it should pass and you'll be on your way.

One Viper Bite
08-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info, gents.

I will follow up with my insurance again. Their argument was that the temp tags were In Transit tags and not valid for them to insure.

And glad to hear it's only about 50 miles to get it to pass.

DYING to drive this car properly. It's been so difficult not to just hop in it and drive these last few weeks!

zee
08-03-2017, 06:13 PM
When I bought my TA it was out of state and got it smogged with no issues. They told me if a car is less than 3 years old they don't even put it through the sniffer. Just a visual and run the VIN. Hit me up Brian if you want the shop I went to here in OC.

serpent
08-03-2017, 06:18 PM
OP's car has 9 miles so it hasn't been broken in.

Does anyone know if secondary cat delete (leaving primaries), with aftermarket mufflers can pass smog?

This is what's holding me back from buying a cat back exhaust system.

swexlin
08-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info, gents.

I will follow up with my insurance again. Their argument was that the temp tags were In Transit tags and not valid for them to insure.

And glad to hear it's only about 50 miles to get it to pass.

DYING to drive this car properly. It's been so difficult not to just hop in it and drive these last few weeks!

You should have the pink temp registration from the bill of sale - that's what the insurance company should be using as proof of registration. I had temp tags on my car for about 3 weeks before I got it inspected.

Pappy
08-03-2017, 07:18 PM
GM has published, specific drive cycle information to get all of the required systems set. I just had to run the cycles with my 2011 Corvette because it had been on a trickle charger and only had 7 of 9 systems set. Nevada requires all but one. Took about 25 miles. The following is a link form the state of Ohio that gives some very basic info on performing generic drive cycles. I'm sure there should be specific information for the Viper - I just haven't been able to find it. Good luck.

http://epa.ohio.gov/Portals/27/echeck/docs/OBDReadinessDriveCycles.pdf

Pappy

KB Viper
08-03-2017, 07:29 PM
OP's car has 9 miles so it hasn't been broken in.

Does anyone know if secondary cat delete (leaving primaries), with aftermarket mufflers can pass smog?

This is what's holding me back from buying a cat back exhaust system.
If bought in CA your car doesn't need to be smogged until 6 years after purchase then once every two years. You can easily swap back to stock to pass a smog.

Mark1107
08-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Brian,

Drive the damn car. After 30-50 miles it will pass smog. It's a car not the Hope diamond! Your baby will survive until clear bra.

BETTER YET THE SOCAL VIPER GROUP IS GOING TO SUPER CAR THIS (AUG 5) SUNDAY THEN A BBQ AT SPECIALTY PERFORMANCE TEAM IN ALHAMBRA. YOUR A GIRLY MAN IF YOU DONT SHOW UP WITH THAT DAMN CAR!!! PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY PANTS, I CHALLENGE YOU! (Lol)

serpent
08-03-2017, 08:50 PM
If bought in CA your car doesn't need to be smogged until 6 years after purchase then once every two years. You can easily swap back to stock to pass a smog.
Car is a 2015, that was originally bought from Texas in 2016 and brought here in cali. I'm the 2nd owner. I have this sinking feeling I'll have to smog sooner than 6 years, hell sooner than 4. With my luck, 2. Lol.

Can a rear cat delete (not primary) with aftermarket exhaust pass cali smog?

Mark1107
08-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Not driving your Viper is like not having sex with your wife so when you divorce her the next guy can enjoy her!

One Viper Bite
08-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Brian,

Drive the damn car. After 30-50 miles it will pass smog. It's a car not the Hope diamond! Your baby will survive until clear bra.

BETTER YET THE SOCAL VIPER GROUP IS GOING TO SUPER CAR THIS (AUG 5) SUNDAY THEN A BBQ AT SPECIALTY PERFORMANCE TEAM IN ALHAMBRA. YOUR A GIRLY MAN IF YOU DONT SHOW UP WITH THAT DAMN CAR!!! PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY PANTS, I CHALLENGE YOU! (Lol)

LOL don't tempt me Mark. That sounds like so much fun.

Seriously though, every single person I've talked to has said not to risk it. I keep saying, "Eh, how bad can it be?" And then someone tells me a horror story.

Space Truckin
08-03-2017, 11:06 PM

You are NOT the first person in California to buy a NEW car out of state :confused: . And I can guarantee there are many members who are just as OCD if not more so, the car is not going to melt :t0135:, you have already wasted "weeks" looking at her in your garage (what is a few weeks 2-3?) :rolleyes:. Drive the car. :slap:

One Viper Bite
08-03-2017, 11:12 PM
You are NOT the first person in California to buy a NEW car out of state :confused: . And I can guarantee there are many members who are just as OCD if not more so, the car is not going to melt (what is a few weeks 2-3?) you have already wasted "weeks" looking at her in your garage :rolleyes:. Drive the car. :slap:

Never said I was. This is a first time for me and I was perplexed by the catch 22 that is this entire smog ordeal. That's the main reason I haven't driven it.

With the info above, it should be on the road next week, maybe even this weekend if I'm brave enough to drive without the PPF.

Mark1107
08-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Not driving your Viper is like not having sex with your wife so when you divorce her the next guy can enjoy her!

:t15197::t15197::t15197::t15197::t15197:

Then let me sleep with her. I really enjoy strange after being married so long.