PDA

View Full Version : Oil temp

docwviper
07-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Looking over my data from a track weekend what kind of oil temperatures are you guys getting? There are times I'm allegedly hitting 257. My data may be wrong as I have a Vbox and for some reason the data it gathers comes across as celsuis. I also have the arrow controller which I feel is making me hot. 27495

ViperGeorge
07-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Not unusual. My 2015 TA 2.0 (Arrow PCM, headers) would run coolant temps of 240+ and oil temps of 265. There are several threads on here about track temps. My ACR seems to run cooler, maybe because the big front splitter forces more air through the radiator. I see about 225 coolant and maybe 245 oil in the ACR.

Dick Winkles says the cars are good to 250-255 coolant although the PCM does pull timing as things get hotter.

Arizona Vipers
07-29-2017, 12:53 AM
You are fine on oil and water temp according to the pic you posted.
You will see some dash warnings when you get about 20* hotter

GTSilver
07-29-2017, 05:59 AM
Looking over my data from a track weekend what kind of oil temperatures are you guys getting? There are times I'm allegedly hitting 257. My data may be wrong as I have a Vbox and for some reason the data it gathers comes across as celsuis. I also have the arrow controller which I feel is making me hot. 27495

I usually back off whenever I reach 120 celsius in any car on track which is 248 F, same goes for my viper. Removing the front hood vents helps with reducing temps if you don't have them off. On another note, I'm interested in the box setup on your viper is it the new HD2 and would you mind how you set it up.

Thanks

ViperGeorge
07-29-2017, 09:18 AM
I usually back off whenever I reach 120 celsius in any car on track which is 248 F, same goes for my viper. Removing the front hood vents helps with reducing temps if you don't have them off. On another note, I'm interested in the box setup on your viper is it the new HD2 and would you mind how you set it up.

Thanks

I have the older Racelogic Video Vbox. I would not buy it again or any Racelogic product until they decide it is ok for the system to create a track map on the fly using the GPS coordinates. In order to get a track map displayed the map has to be in the database of tracks or you have to create it by tracing it on Google Earth. A royal pain especially since their track database doesn't have many US tracks. I have asked them about providing a real time mapping capability but they say it isn't accurate enough. Accurate enough for what??!! A video?? It has to be more accurate than not having a map at all. Bloody stupid. Buy a different system.

GTSilver
07-29-2017, 10:00 AM
I have the older Racelogic Video Vbox. I would not buy it again or any Racelogic product until they decide it is ok for the system to create a track map on the fly using the GPS coordinates. In order to get a track map displayed the map has to be in the database of tracks or you have to create it by tracing it on Google Earth. A royal pain especially since their track database doesn't have many US tracks. I have asked them about providing a real time mapping capability but they say it isn't accurate enough. Accurate enough for what??!! A video?? It has to be more accurate than not having a map at all. Bloody stupid. Buy a different system.

I also had the old video vbox and wasn't that great also, switched to Aim Solo and was super simple and easy however the vast details extracted out of the race logic and the ability to see data and video at the same time is great. Heard a lot of positive feedback regarding the VBOX2 but looking for anyone that sells that had figured out the integration into the viper to show temps, gear, brake and throttle pedal forces etc.

Here is a video to show some of the data in a viper acr :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLuB71knCGA

LmeaViper
07-29-2017, 11:09 AM
On the last track day I had I hit 240 oil temp in my GTS after about 20 - 25 mins. It was about 85 F out and was driving hard.

docwviper
07-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Goerge I'm pretty sure you can create a track on the fly with this. I think I did it with this or maybe it was my smarty cam system.

It's a good system but quirky. Takes a while to get it the way you want it.

docwviper
07-29-2017, 08:16 PM

Thanks

Yes I have the HD2 system. I can take some pics and post them up. But I have the timer to the left of the steer wheeling, front camera on the top of the windshield on the drivers side. I put the GPS unit in the middle of the trunk near the back. I also buried the VBOX setup in the back left cubby hole but I plant to mount it to a plastic replica I had made of the battery cover along with my cool suit stuff. I'll get that done tomorrow. The rear camera I have mounted to a four point roll cage I installed over the winter. That can point towards me or the back. I ran all the wires behind the panels, etc so it's a clean install. I'll get some pics up here.

docwviper
07-29-2017, 08:18 PM
On the last track day I had I hit 240 oil temp in my GTS after about 20 - 25 mins. It was about 85 F out and was driving hard.

I have the Arrow PCM and it's causing me to over heat 15-20 minutes into a session when driving hard. I will hit 240 on the engine coolant and have to back off. I never got a warning about oil temp but thought it was awfully high but glad to hear others are experiencing the same.

On a side note I want to go back to the stock PCM however I think my high flow cats may set of the check engine light but I'm not sure.

GTSilver
07-30-2017, 06:08 AM
What oil are you using ? I usually run mobil 1 0w40 and thinking of going to 15w50 as this seems to be the oil to use for track use. I know this may sound a bit obvious but maybe you've got an air bubble in the coolant why not reflush it again.

ViperGeorge
07-30-2017, 10:21 AM
I have the Arrow PCM and it's causing me to over heat 15-20 minutes into a session when driving hard. I will hit 240 on the engine coolant and have to back off. I never got a warning about oil temp but thought it was awfully high but glad to hear others are experiencing the same.

On a side note I want to go back to the stock PCM however I think my high flow cats may set of the check engine light but I'm not sure.

In my 15 TA 2.0 I ran back to back tests with and without the Arrow PCM. Some difference but I wouldn't say significant. There is a thread on here where I posted the results.

My test results are on page 5 of this thread but I'd read the whole thread:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9220-Track-temps-revisited?highlight=track+temps

Here's another relevant thread to read:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9975-Track-Day-Temps?highlight=track+temps

sharmut
07-30-2017, 03:50 PM
First time out with the HD2, oil-temp ran 110C (230F) & coolant-temp @ 100C (212F).

docwviper
07-31-2017, 08:27 AM
Nice setup. I've always had a problem with overheating on really hot days with the Arrow PCM. I know I'm not alone and I've read a lot of posts here about it about a year or two ago but we never really found out the issue. I took out the front tow hook and MAYBE it helped but its been a cooler season around here when I've been racing compared to last year.

docwviper
07-31-2017, 08:31 AM
In my 15 TA 2.0 I ran back to back tests with and without the Arrow PCM. Some difference but I wouldn't say significant. There is a thread on here where I posted the results.

My test results are on page 5 of this thread but I'd read the whole thread:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9220-Track-temps-revisited?highlight=track+temps

Here's another relevant thread to read:
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9975-Track-Day-Temps?highlight=track+temps

Sounds like you over heated on your TA 2.0 like I do in my ACR. Kind of sucks. Ruins the fun.

This is one of the post you had a while back
"Unfortunately I must agree with BLUETA#1. My car also gets freakin' hot on the track. Last track day ambient was 77, coolant hit 243 in about 10-15 minutes, oil hit 267. Remember too that the PCM pulls timing at those temps. I have an Arrow PCM and headers. I checked the cooling system, no air that I could find. Bled it from the bleeder, jacked right side up high too but still no air. I've added Water Wetter and changed the oil to Mobil 1 15w50. I will also probably do an IPSCO under-drive pulley. I will see what else I can seal up around the radiator but the Gen 5s already have a top close out panel. After I get my pedal assembly fixed I got to get back to the track. "

PkB2014
07-31-2017, 10:09 AM
What oil are you using ? I usually run mobil 1 0w40 and thinking of going to 15w50 as this seems to be the oil to use for track use. I know this may sound a bit obvious but maybe you've got an air bubble in the coolant why not reflush it again.

Something in the 15w50 range is what was recommended by the factory engine guys if you will be tracking the car.

Arizona Vipers
07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Nice setup. I've always had a problem with overheating on really hot days with the Arrow PCM. I know I'm not alone and I've read a lot of posts here about it about a year or two ago but we never really found out the issue. I took out the front tow hook and MAYBE it helped but its been a cooler season around here when I've been racing compared to last year.

The car will always run hotter with the Arrow computer, it raises redline by 200rpm

OTHER SNAKE OWNER
07-31-2017, 12:51 PM
Anyone of you seeing high temps do a thermostat change? Factory degree to ___?
Anyone know if the Arrow PCM changes the fan settings to come on earlier than factory settings?
For those seeing these high temps, have you done exhaust mods/heat shielding mods due to long tubes?

ViperGeorge
07-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Anyone know if the Arrow PCM changes the fan settings to come on earlier than factory settings?
For those seeing these high temps, have you done exhaust mods/heat shielding mods due to long tubes?

I had Bellangers on my 15 TA 2.0 and I insulated the crap out of everything including the coolant lines that run to the oil cooler. Also did the reservoir tank. Really didn't make too much difference.

stradman
07-31-2017, 03:23 PM
On a very hot day after say above 80 degrees ambient, my oil can go up to 256-257 degrees after say the 3rd or 4th hot lap. I really don't think its a problem though. Modern synthetic oil can take that no problem. I use Motul 300v 15-50. I hear the z06's run much higher than that sometimes 280 plus!

Arizona Vipers
07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
I hear the z06's run much higher than that sometimes 280 plus!

Yeah I see this all the time here in Arizona. I even hear the vette guys talk about 300* oil temp on bone stock Z06's. C6 and C7

docwviper
08-02-2017, 04:49 PM
FYI any of you guys not able to get the oil temp, engine temp, intake temp in Fahrenheit I was able to have racelogic fix that problem for us. Let me know and I can send over my CAN to you folks.

sharmut
08-03-2017, 04:41 AM
FYI any of you guys not able to get the oil temp, engine temp, intake temp in Fahrenheit I was able to have racelogic fix that problem for us. Let me know and I can send over my CAN to you folks.

Awesome, I'll ping their support team for the updated CAN file.

ViperGeorge
08-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Once the thermostat is open it wouldn't make any difference what temp thermostat you have. At 240+ the stock one is already open fully. I have an email somewhere from Dick Winkles stating not to change or remove thermostat as it won't help temps on the track. It would only change how fast the engine heats up under normal conditions, not on the track where temps rise too quickly for it to make any difference.

serpent
08-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Yeah I see this all the time here in Arizona. I even hear the vette guys talk about 300* oil temp on bone stock Z06's. C6 and C7
When I drove my '15 home from San Diego I was in bakersfield filling up gas and pretty much a good 2-3 hours driving outside temp was around mid 90s (94F-96F).

Oil temps got as high as 216F
water was a little cooler with highest going to 210F, got them while stretching the cars legs a bit. :icon_devil:

Again, those were highest I reached, I took pics of when the car was in 96F temp outside and the oil/water temps were 194F/185F.