PDA

View Full Version : Stop Tech brake kits

A12pilot
07-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Hey Folks,

The next project for my 97 GTS is a brake swap. I'm looking at the Stop Tech kits, specifically the 4 piston front and rear kit. I found a place that offers both front and back for a little over $4200. I don't think that's too bad a price for a complete 4-wheel kit from all the other places I've been looking.

What about installation? I'll do it myself, but I'm just curious about a few things. Some threads talk about the parking brake not being compatible, others have you cutting off an ear off the rear spindles for mounting. I can't seem to find the installation instructions online for review.

Any thoughts good and bad on these kits? Ease of installing....completeness of the kit? I'm also picking up a set of Gen 3 10-spokes tomorrow, so a little larger wheel/ tire setup for clearance.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers
Dave

Troublemaker
07-21-2017, 09:12 AM
I have a set of 6/4s hopefully on the way. There was a lead on getting the put together as parts for the older cars aren't kept on the shelves anymore. I also have not been able to find any information on installation yet either. I can let you know how it goes when I finally start tearing into mine. That's a real good price by the way.

AZTVR
07-21-2017, 09:41 AM
I would have thought that Jon at partsrack would have the set-up readily available. That is where I bought my Stoptech BBK from. (6/4 setup including parking brake calipers and stainless steel braided, teflon brake lines.) At the time (many years ago), Stoptech was redesigning their parking brake caliper at the time, and neither the new or old was available, so Jon replaced it with the IPSCO parking brake caliper kit that is used with the "Dave's Big Brake kit" upgrade that uses the Gen 3 calipers; but which Mark at IPSCO made some small change in mounting spacers to accommodate the Stoptech bracket.

I can't speak to the current Stoptech installation; but, I can't picture it having changed. Fronts are a simple addition of a mounting bracket. Rears require cutting off the ears that the Viper caliper mounts to so that the Stoptech calipers/brackets can mount in that location. The parking brake caliper mounts on the other side of the hub.

Here is a great DIY that the Socal Viper club president did on the Dave's Big brake install: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/597556-Dave-s-Big-Brake-Upgrade The method is essentially the same for the Stoptech install except maybe for any difference the Stoptech parking brake mount would be.

Blue96GTS
09-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Haven't ventured over here in a while, just saw this post... Not sure if my response is still relevant, it is sure not timely...

Did the stop tech bbk upgrade 2 winters ago. Well documented with the included instructions. Provisions for parking brake. Some clearance grinding of the a-arms involved, nothing too major.

Brake upgrade itself was pretty easy/quick. What took more time, $$$, busted knuckles was upgrading and replacing all of the other stuff "while you're in there".

More info if you still need it.