PDA

View Full Version : New 2017 NYS Tints Laws

thetalonguy
07-15-2017, 09:10 AM
I went to get the Viper inspected this morning and the shop's manager told me there was a new 2017 NYS tint law. Essentially, he said, all front tints are now illegal and that they've been failing a bunch of cars this year. I asked him all %'s and he said essentially if it has tints, it's almost 100% chance of failing and they don't even bother testing the %.

I was shocked as I haven't heard anything about it and especially nothing in passing from our local club.

Anyway, my tints are VERY light. I didn't personally have them done, so I don't have the %.

I don't think the guy was screwing me since I've been going there for over 15 years. He ended up saying he'll let me get away with it this year, but next year I should have them removed.

I have no plan on removing them, so I guess I'll have to find a new place.

Anyone else get this during their inspection this year? I hope NY isn't trying to be more oppressive than Commifornia.

SlateEd
07-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Interesting -- Legal limits haven't changed, but the requirement to TEST at the time of inspection has been added.

3 minute Video created by NYS DMV (worth watching the first bit anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEd4sHHQ0g&spfreload=10

and the text info on DMVs website: https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

thetalonguy
07-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Wow, thanks for the Vid Ed. I'm guessing mine are likely below 70% then, since the car they tested was already at 78% with zero aftermarket tint.

I'm still surprised I haven't heard any rumblings this year. A shit ton of cars have aftermarket tints.

I understand the deep limo tint issues, but c'mon. I spend 99% of my time with the windows down anyway.

Hope they aren't sending LEOs around to test in parking lots now.

SlateEd
07-15-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised in the video the Civic he was testing showed 78% etc. through windows that looked 'clear' to me... makes me want to borrow a meter somewhere just to get a sense visually of what that looks like.

And I wouldn't worry about more enforcement from police... probably less. They're putting the responsibility on the service stations to catch these before they hit the road.

I'm wondering if the basic cost of a NYS inspection will go up a few dollars to offset the new light-meter they're forcing the service station to buy? Will need to find out soon, mine is due.

thetalonguy
07-15-2017, 10:06 AM
True, price did stay the same at $37.

ViperJon
07-15-2017, 03:49 PM
I I don't think the guy was screwing me since I've been going there for over 15 years. He ended up saying he'll let me get away with it this year, but next year I should have them removed. .

Let me translate that for you Matt. Next year add a little bonus for me on top of the inspection rate and I won't need to test for the tint percentage as you don't have tints. Or maybe you had the tint installed the day after you left here. That's basically what my guy said.

thetalonguy
07-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Let me translate that for you Matt. Next year add a little bonus for me on top of the inspection rate and I won't need to test for the tint percentage as you don't have tints. Or maybe you had the tint installed the day after you left here. That's basically what my guy said.

Yea, I figured as much :-/. Maybe things will cool off next year. I know not every single safety check is reviewed and hoping that this will fall into that category.

Red venom
07-18-2017, 07:06 PM
You didn't vote for the right candidate in 2014 Matt.
Try again next year.

thetalonguy
07-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Lol, down state candidate choices are worse or worser.

cubeman
07-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Most regular shops won't inspect, it's visual based. The inspection station does not require you to hook the light meter to the car or report numbers. It's just another thing listed under brakes and tires when doing the visual based part of the inspection. A shop guy can just click pass all like regular and it's done.

I've had my 5% Charger SRT passed here just outside NYC at a regular shop, and my Hellcat with 50%'s.

bluesrt
07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
leave the windows down when you pull in the shop