PDA

View Full Version : No Fly Zone

drewsss
07-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know when the next Arizona event will be at the Gila Bend Airport?

Thanks,
Andy

Rocket
07-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Did this a few years back and had a blast! 161mph! ... https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xtp1/t50.2886-16/12327642_1701376063432193_1874409032_n.mp4

http://www.omegamotorsport.com/copy-of-noflyzone-arizona

No Fly Zone
ARIZONA
#NoFlyZoneARIZONA

October 22, 2017
Racing 10:00am - 5:00pm
Participants will be emailed details

Gila Bend Airfield
1500 Arizona 85
Gila Bend, AZ

drewsss
07-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Nice! Went there last year as an observer but definitely want to run it this time.

Thanks for the info!

Martyb
07-13-2017, 08:44 AM
If I am back by then I'll come watch you run!

drewsss
07-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Marty!

My twin brother may take his Corvette and run next to me, so I'll need someone to film the ass-whoopin' that will be administered :devilish:

AZ Venom
07-15-2017, 08:40 AM
How much HP do you make with the Supercharger?

drewsss
07-15-2017, 10:01 PM
How much HP do you make with the Supercharger?

I wish I knew. The guy I bought it from said 630ish, but I doubt that. Would love to have it dyno'd one of these days.

LeadfootRT10
07-17-2017, 08:19 PM
I've be up for at least spectating!

AZMotorgod
09-07-2017, 04:01 PM
I would be very interested in participating in this event.

Is there special insurance that is needed or is it not an issue if you are not "racing" anybody?

Car is all stock and I have a helmet but any other info that might be helpful?

Downloaded the tech form and noted a tow point. Maybe I need to pick one of those up...

LeadfootRT10
09-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Is there special insurance that is needed or is it not an issue if you are not "racing" anybody?

Downloaded the tech form and noted a tow point. Maybe I need to pick one of those up...

You won't need any special insurance, but i'm sure the help is required. I've never been, but i really want to this time at least as a spectator.

Here's the webpage for more info.

http://www.omegamotorsport.com/copy-of-noflyzone-arizona

IHOP
09-19-2017, 11:22 PM
How many runs does each car get, does anyone know? I didn't see it listed on the website anywhere.

Rocket
09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
All depends on how many people sign up. I was there on a light day - so it was as many as you wanted.

IHOP
09-20-2017, 10:49 PM
All depends on how many people sign up. I was there on a light day - so it was as many as you wanted.

Cool thank you! One more question, are you allowed to take a passenger?

Rocket
09-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Passengers were allowed when I did the event as long as they had a helmet. Might want to email to double check if that's a deciding factor.

IHOP
09-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Passengers were allowed when I did the event as long as they had a helmet. Might want to email to double check if that's a deciding factor.

Cool, thank you Rocket!

Quasar Z
09-25-2017, 11:19 PM
I registered for the event yesterday morning. Looking forward to seeing what my car is capable of, hoping to see a few other Vipers there

nrs1
09-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Passengers are allowed with a helmet

IHOP
09-30-2017, 02:25 PM
I registered for the event yesterday morning. Looking forward to seeing what my car is capable of, hoping to see a few other Vipers there

I'm going to try to make it. It would be great to see more vipers out there!

Quasar Z
10-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Had a great time at the event today and learned a lot about my car. First lesson of the day is that it is hard to shift quickly into 5th gear...I have never really ever had to do it and ended up missing fifth gear a few times (along with a bunch of other people out there). Second lesson learned was that these cars do not like high IAT's. It was about 91 degrees out today and the lines were long. IAT's were at 140 for a couple of runs. Once I got them down to 105-110 the car ran much better. Last lesson of the day is that it takes several runs to figure out the car and get the most out of it. My first run was 153.06 at 10:39 AM when it was relatively cool. My last run was 162.10 at 3:35 PM at 91 degrees. I fully believe that it takes at least 5 runs until you are ready to get the most out of your car.

Overall this is a great event and it would be nice to see some other Vipers out there. The good news was that my car got a ton of attention as it was the only Viper out there! They are hosting another event in December, hopefully my schedule will allow me to attend and maybe some other Vipers can represent.

Vprbite
10-23-2017, 07:29 AM
As IATs go up, it pulls timing. So I woild think you could feel the horspower loss over 95 degrees for sure.

Vprbite
10-23-2017, 07:32 AM

In my experience, often times HPDE events wih an instructor are covered because they are considered driving instruction, not racing. Usually the key phrase to look for in your policy is "does not cover any timed events." So, since they aren't timing but are instead just checking for top speed, that's an interesting hair to have to split with your insurance company. If I was gambling man, I would bet on them denying the claim by sayi speed is a form of timing or competition.

You can always get track day insurance. A member here owns a company that does that. On track insurance I believe it's called.

Best of luck!

drewsss
11-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Am all signed up for Dec. 16th,as a birthday present to myself...lol. Let's see what this beast can do.

Hopefully will see some other snakes out there!

http://www.omegamotorsport.com/copy-of-noflyzone-arizona-1

AZMotorgod
11-20-2017, 10:53 PM
I am signed up for Saturday!

I too can't wait to see what the car (and myself can do). I am hoping to do this event more then once.

After the December event I have a Belanger cat-back going on. Don't really plan to mod the car much as she is plenty fast as she is and I know what a slippery slope modding is!:)

Quasar Z
11-21-2017, 04:18 PM
I will be there on the 17th, going to miss you guys unfortunately

drewsss
11-21-2017, 09:27 PM
At least we’ll have a few snakes there, to show them how it’s done:United_States:

AZMotorgod
12-09-2017, 01:14 AM
What is everyone doing for a "tow hook or suitable tow point"? Is what the Gen Vs have OK, or do I need to pick up the IPSCO front, back, or both setups?

http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT%20Front%20Tow%20Hook.htm

http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT%20Rear%20Tow%20Hook.htm

drewsss
12-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Good point. I just sent them an email to see if they have any in stock...

el_guapo
12-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Let me know what you find out about tow hooks. I was thinking of coming but don’t have anything like that yet. I take it roll bar is not required? Thx

drewsss
12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
I just ordered from Mark today at IPSCO. Will have them by Wednesday and they are fairly easy to install.

No roll bar needed. And only a DOT helmet is needed (not Snell, as with most track events).

el_guapo
12-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Thanks. You getting front and back? Both required?

Dan

drewsss
12-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Yes, getting both because they are sold as pairs. Plus, I can’t predict the direction of my future spin outs...lol.

Rocket
12-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered for Sunday. Gonna let my son experience Gila Bend and doing the 1/2 mile as a birthday gift. Just put on some new rear tires - so hopefully he'll be able to hook up a little better than I did when I did 161mph. I did read the tech download and I don't believe a tow hook is a requirement?

Quasar Z
12-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered for Sunday. Gonna let my son experience Gila Bend and doing the 1/2 mile as a birthday gift. Just put on some new rear tires - so hopefully he'll be able to hook up a little better than I did when I did 161mph. I did read the tech download and I don't believe a tow hook is a requirement?

Looking forward to seeing you out there on Sunday. I was there for the last event and they do not mandate a tow hook.

drewsss
12-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Hey John - will miss you out there on Sunday. My twin brother and I are going out on Saturday for our birthday presents to ourselves too...lol.

Regarding tow hooks, I actually installed the two Ipsco hooks today. Not sure if it’s an absolute requirement but it was on the checklist. Have fun and be safe!

Quasar Z
12-16-2017, 10:39 PM
How did you guys do out there today?

drewsss
12-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Low 140's...not as good as I thought...the wing/aero definitely slowed everything down. Had a great time...weather was beautiful. Hope things dry out for you guys today!

AZMotorgod
12-17-2017, 10:28 PM
First time ever at an event like this (1/2 mile, etc.) and had a blast.

Very timid on the first run (and missed the briefing), so I only ran a 109, but ended up doing better then I thought. I was able to get 29 runs in and ended up with a best of 157.89!

Car is totally stock, but I have a Belanger cat-back itching to go on. However, now that I have caught the bug, maybe headers and a tune are in order as well...?

Arizona Vipers
12-18-2017, 12:06 PM
I was able to get 29 runs in and ended up with a best of 157.89!

The Dodge Demon that was there only hit 160. LOL. I guess 200 more hp can't make up for 40% more curb weight.
Did anyone see what the McLaren 720s ran on Sunday?

- - - Updated - - -

Low 140's...not as good as I thought...the wing/aero definitely slowed everything down. Had a great time...weather was beautiful. Hope things dry out for you guys today!

Hey dude, nice car I came to check it out and you weren't there at the time.

AZMotorgod
12-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Arizona Vipers-

Your GT is beautiful and sounded awesome, hope to see it out there again and glad everything worked out.

And their not very aerodynamic either, still I would like to have seen it run. Wonder if they were on 91 or tune/ race gas?

Rocket
12-18-2017, 02:59 PM
So it hasn't rained in the Phoenix area in about 130 days ...... but it did show up on Sunday. Delayed things about an hour and at times it would spit causing some concern - especially when doing 150+. Overcast skies meant a cold runway and challenging launches, cooler temps, and a pretty strong headwind had times down a little. Top speed for the day that I saw was 190mph by a Vette with plates that read "NOMODS" and a labeled hp of 1300.

People thought my son was crazy when he had the top down for the first few runs, not only because of the speed, but it was only about 60 degrees. And, yes, it's official .... my son is faster than me as he hit 161.5219mph ... so he's calling it 162mph and I only did 161mph about 2 years ago ;).

https://youtu.be/sIEmaecJFCE

https://driveviper.com/gallery/data/500/medium/20171218_093218.jpg

And a pic of Mike's Viper. (MPH in the background are not his.) Think his best was about 163.

https://driveviper.com/gallery/data/500/medium/20171218_093051.jpg

Arizona Vipers
12-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Arizona Vipers-

Your GT is beautiful and sounded awesome, hope to see it out there again and glad everything worked out.

And their not very aerodynamic either, still I would like to have seen it run. Wonder if they were on 91 or tune/ race gas?

Honestly that was my last time running the GT at No Fly Zone. Going into the dirt at 180mph and sliding for 1/4 mile scared the shit out of me, I'm lucky to be alive, and lucky the car wasn't destroyed. The good news is this has made me decide to cage my '13 soon.

They said they were running the 91 tune, but that seems weird to me if you are going to go all the way out there etc. I don't think 32 horsepower is going to do much at those speeds.
I've seen the 720s hitting mid 170's at other events, that's nuts.

Martyb
12-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Honestly that was my last time running the GT at No Fly Zone. Going into the dirt at 180mph and sliding for 1/4 mile scared the shit out of me, I'm lucky to be alive, and lucky the car wasn't destroyed. The good news is this has made me decide to cage my '13 soon.

They said they were running the 91 tune, but that seems weird to me if you are going to go all the way out there etc. I don't think 32 horsepower is going to do much at those speeds.
I've seen the 720s hitting mid 170's at other events, that's nuts.

What the hell happened? Glad you are ok as well as the GT. I wanted to be there but had family obligations on Sat.

chris1992
12-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Was the Demon that was running with you guys Yellow? If so, it was probably my buddy Craig. I was curious as to how it did, but I hadn't asked yet.

Arizona Vipers, that sound like a wild ride! Glad you're okay though!

Quasar Z
12-21-2017, 10:43 PM
So it hasn't rained in the Phoenix area in about 130 days ...... but it did show up on Sunday. Delayed things about an hour and at times it would spit causing some concern - especially when doing 150+. Overcast skies meant a cold runway and challenging launches, cooler temps, and a pretty strong headwind had times down a little. Top speed for the day that I saw was 190mph by a Vette with plates that read "NOMODS" and a labeled hp of 1300.

People thought my son was crazy when he had the top down for the first few runs, not only because of the speed, but it was only about 60 degrees. And, yes, it's official .... my son is faster than me as he hit 161.5219mph ... so he's calling it 162mph and I only did 161mph about 2 years ago ;).

John - it was great to meet you and your son out there last weekend (as well as your daughter in-law, who was awesome!). Your son really figured that car out and can drive! Your car looked and sounded great out there, especially when the top was down!

Outside of the rain and the cold weather it was a great event. I ran my car multiple times and it was pretty consistent. I was only able to run a best of 161.9870 this time out (last time the car went 162.10 in much hotter weather). I am pretty sure there is nothing left to gain as the car stands, as it ran between 159-162 all day long. I tried to line up with the Demon but he shunned me for a race with a Hellcat (the fastest we saw the Demon run on Sunday was 157.xx). I was able to race and beat a few C7 Z06's as well as a couple of new ZL1's. Had my head handed to me by a McClaren and a built Hellcat Charger that was on slicks. Overall it was well worth the price of admission!

Arizona Vipers
12-22-2017, 12:51 PM
John - it was great to meet you and your son out there last weekend (as well as your daughter in-law, who was awesome!). Your son really figured that car out and can drive! Your car looked and sounded great out there, especially when the top was down!

Outside of the rain and the cold weather it was a great event. I ran my car multiple times and it was pretty consistent. I was only able to run a best of 161.9870 this time out (last time the car went 162.10 in much hotter weather). I am pretty sure there is nothing left to gain as the car stands, as it ran between 159-162 all day long. I tried to line up with the Demon but he shunned me for a race with a Hellcat (the fastest we saw the Demon run on Sunday was 157.xx). I was able to race and beat a few C7 Z06's as well as a couple of new ZL1's. Had my head handed to me by a McClaren and a built Hellcat Charger that was on slicks. Overall it was well worth the price of admission!

Was the McLaren the 720s that was supposed to be there? What did it run? Should be low 170's bone stock that's nuts.

Quasar Z
12-23-2017, 12:18 AM
The 720S was not there on Sunday. The 570S that was there still had paper tags. Once he figured the car out it ran 167. I didn't stand a chance against him. Heads and cam would close the gap, but that 570S got out of the hole and pulled away the whole time.

I have raced and destroyed an MP4-12C but the new McClaren's are on a whole new level.

Arizona Vipers
12-23-2017, 10:15 AM
The 720S was not there on Sunday. The 570S that was there still had paper t.ags. Once he figured the car out it ran 167. I didn't stand a chance against him. Heads and cam would close the gap, but that 570S got out of the hole and pulled away the whole time.

I have raced and destroyed an MP4-12C but the new McClaren's on on a whole new level.

So the 720s was a no show, he wasn't there Saturday either. If the 570 hit 167, the 720s would have been closer to 180, WOW. Faster than my 820whp GT

nrs1
12-23-2017, 04:30 PM
So the 720s was a no show, he wasn't there Saturday either. If the 570 hit 167, the 720s would have been closer to 180, WOW. Faster than my 820whp GT

I'm sure you would have gone faster than 180, since you went 178 on your first/only pass, cold track, tires, massive burnout etc.. Most cars went significantly faster on their 2nd pass when starting early in the morning.

Arizona Vipers
12-23-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm sure you would have gone faster than 180, since you went 178 on your first/only pass, cold track, tires, massive burnout etc.. Most cars went significantly faster on their 2nd pass when starting early in the morning.

Yeah was shooting for 185. I went 179 with 50 less hp without drag radials.

Quasar Z
12-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Is anyone headed to Gila Bend next weekend for the December 15-16 No Fly Zone? I will be out there on Sunday to see what my car is capable of now that it has the A&C Performance heads/cam package. Hoping to see some other Vipers out there as well.

Arizona Vipers
12-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Is anyone headed to Gila Bend next weekend for the December 15-16 No Fly Zone? I will be out there on Sunday to see what my car is capable of now that it has the A&C Performance heads/cam package. Hoping to see some other Vipers out there as well.

I really wanted to bring my 9 liter car but it's getting a cage. I've got a party Saturday night so probably can't make it anyway. If I do it'll be in my AMG GTR and wife's E63 wagon!