PDA

View Full Version : What gives Damn Tires keep disappearing

Luisv
07-03-2017, 08:30 PM
OK.

- Have a 2002 Final Edition.
- Michelin discontinued the tires on 18" wheels.
- I bought a set of 18x11 fronts and 19x13 rears. I went with Forgelines I got here. Love them and the look. I did it to get tire options back.
- Now the ONLY option I have is the Pirelli Corsa. 295/30R18 Fronts. 355/30R19 Rears.

The problem I have is the fronts. I have a set of Eibach sport springs in the car. That lowers the car a bit. Now with the 295/30 fronts the front tire diameter drops a bit from the 275/35R18 tires. That small drop now makes the front rub a great deal more. It's a small change but enough to rub more. It's a pain.

Now I figured.... get a 285/35 or 295/35 to bring the diameter back up a bit. However, when I go look.... I can only find the Pirelli's as an option. Period.... but they don't offer a 285/35 or 295/35 on an 18" wheel.

What is the problem!?!?!?!?! Why doesn't anyone make a tire set for us!

ForTehNguyen
07-03-2017, 10:45 PM
michelin makes pilot super sports in 285/35/18 and 345/30/19. I've seen a couple vipers run these sizes locally. PSS run a tad wide so not sure if 285/35 may rub on your setup. These are the tires I plan to go with once the pirelli p zeros wear out on mine.

Luisv
07-04-2017, 10:00 AM
michelin makes pilot super sports in 285/35/18 and 345/30/19. I've seen a couple vipers run these sizes locally. PSS run a tad wide so not sure if 285/35 may rub on your setup. These are the tires I plan to go with once the pirelli p zeros wear out on mine.

I've looked at those. The spec on the Super Sport 345's calls for a maximum rear wheel width of 12.5". We're at 13" on the rears. Is that a problem?

The fronts are fine at the max of 11".

Dunlop, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, Yokohama, Toyo, Michelin, Continental, Hankook, Cooper & Kumho, are some of what I've checked.

Honestly..... this is frustrating.

viperBase1
07-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Feel your pain brother!

I recently went through the whole Michelin/Pirelli/Toyo cycle myself. Timing & availability is everything.

I just wanted a clean set of NEW tires (of contemporary design) for the street. I'm all street right now.. prolly do a little auto-x later.

Ended up with Nitto Invos (http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/invo-luxury-sport-ultra-high-performance-tire/) <-link.. got 'em at Discount tire. They have 'em in stock. Placed my order.. they came in the next day and had 'em mounted.
Boom Done. Under the Discount Tire guarantee too. Anything goes wrong they fix or replace.

So far, the Nitto's have been impressive. VERY smooth ride, hook up just fine ..AND.. they're a bit taller.
Raised my car off the floor a smidgen more. But I am headed out to the garage to adjust the coil overs to fit.

Pointing straight ahead, grip reminds me of the Toyo R888's that came on the car.
Cornering, there's a very slight lateral shift.. but the grip is there.
They're also supposed to be "predictable" when they break loose. I haven't broken loose (yet), but I will.
The tread design is a cross between the Pirelli and the Toyo R888-r.

Give 'em a hard look.
IMHO they're just fine for the street.

gfviperman
07-04-2017, 10:43 AM
18" all around???

Luisv
07-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Feel your pain brother!

I recently went through the whole Michelin/Pirelli/Toyo cycle myself. Timing & availability is everything.

I just wanted a clean set of NEW tires (of contemporary design) for the street. I'm all street right now.. prolly do a little auto-x later.

Ended up with Nitto Invos (http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/invo-luxury-sport-ultra-high-performance-tire/) <-link.. got 'em at Discount tire. They have 'em in stock. Placed my order.. they came in the next day and had 'em mounted.
Boom Done. Under the Discount Tire guarantee too. Anything goes wrong they fix or replace.

So far, the Nitto's have been impressive. VERY smooth ride, hook up just fine ..AND.. they're a bit taller.
Raised my car off the floor a smidgen more. But I am headed out to the garage to adjust the coil overs to fit.

Grip reminds me of the Toyo R888's that came on the car, but with a very slight lateral shift.. but the grip is there.
They're also supposed to be "predictable" when they break loose. I haven't broken loose (yet), but I will.
The tread design is a cross between the Pirelli and the Toyo R888-r.

Give 'em a hard look.
IMHO they're just fine for the street.

Invo's!!!! I had not thought of it. I did not think they'd have the rears. However. I see they go to a 345. The issue here is the same though. the tire spec calls for a max rear width of 12.5 on the wheel.

Is this going to be a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

18" all around???

No. 18x11" fronts. 19x13" rears.

viperBase1
07-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Invo's!!!! I had not thought of it. I did not think they'd have the rears. However. I see they go to a 345. The issue here is the same though. the tire spec calls for a max rear width of 12.5 on the wheel.

Is this going to be a problem?

I don't think so. I have the Sidewinder II's n' don't know that there's any diff with your wheels.
Apologies in advance if that's the case.

Check with the guys at Discount Tire on that point too. They might have something else up their sleeve.

ForTehNguyen
07-04-2017, 09:40 PM
G2 guy here has G5 sidewinder wheels with 345 PSS on it, looks fine, -10mm from a 355 tire not going to hurt anything. PSS are oversized slightly so may end up being 355 anyways

viperBase1
07-05-2017, 08:49 AM
That Pirelli banner-ad is so damned annoying! (it's being shoved in face right now :mad: )

I understand it represents ad-revenue for the forum/VOA, but if they aren't making the tyres for the Viper anymore they should stop advertising here.
What do they expect us to do, get smaller wheels? :smilielol:

I think if it weren't for JonB we'd be in a serious tyre crisis.
Really glad the Nitto Invo's are available as a street option.

13COBRA
07-05-2017, 09:58 AM
I would suggest the Toyo R888Rs. They come in 295/30/18 and 345/30/19. I have them on my car and absolutely love them. Had about a dozen track sessions in, and they're wearing very well.

Nine Ball
07-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Any of the 345 wide tires will fit perfectly on a 13.0 wheel.

Luisv
07-05-2017, 07:00 PM
I would suggest the Toyo R888Rs. They come in 295/30/18 and 345/30/19. I have them on my car and absolutely love them. Had about a dozen track sessions in, and they're wearing very well.

I've never used the Toyo R888's but I have seen them on a few cars. Question I have is, how is it in the rain. I live in South Florida and it rains. A great deal in a short span of time. I also drive the car on cruises and up in the mountain roads at least once a year so I'd like a tire that can handle the wet.

I've had Invo's on my Chargers and I have liked them. The issue I have with them is they are great for 10 to 12K miles and then go down hill fast! That has been the issue on the Charger's but I don't know how they behave on a lighter car with better suspension.

Ripper
07-05-2017, 08:43 PM
I've never used the Toyo R888's but I have seen them on a few cars. Question I have is, how is it in the rain. I live in South Florida and it rains. A great deal in a short span of time. I also drive the car on cruises and up in the mountain roads at least once a year so I'd like a tire that can handle the wet.

I've had Invo's on my Chargers and I have liked them. The issue I have with them is they are great for 10 to 12K miles and then go down hill fast! That has been the issue on the Charger's but I don't know how they behave on a lighter car with better suspension.

Would strongly suggest the Invos based on that info.

IndyRon
07-05-2017, 09:31 PM

The Invo's will work but will be a bit stretched on a 13" wheel. Nothing dangerous, just expect that look. They are better suited to a 12.5" wheel as they run a bit on the small size.

viperBase1
07-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Would strongly suggest the Invos based on that info.
Yea, the R888's and wet roads don't mix. Maybe the new R888-r's are a little better.
I was told "NEVER drive it in the rain with the R888's".

Guys I know say they're lucky to get 6-7K miles on their Toyo's.

Hey ?, are the Sidewinder II's 12.5 inches wide?

IndyRon
07-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Yea, the R888's and wet roads don't mix. Maybe the new R888-r's are a little better.
I was told "NEVER drive it in the rain with the R888's".

Guys I know say they're lucky to get 6-7K miles on their Toyo's.

Hey ?, are the Sidewinder II's 12.5 inches wide?

13"

Fatboy 18
07-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Knowing the rain you get in Florida, I would not recommend the R888