PDA

View Full Version : Side Sill Heat Insulation: Dirty Alumni

SlowPoke McGee
07-01-2017, 06:05 PM
I know this subject has been beaten to death but what subject hasn't with the Gen 1/2 , am I right?
Just reassembling my side sills and got thinking. The aluminum on these insulation packs gets mighty dirty and oxidized over time. That greatly reduces the reflectivity and as a result more heat transfer to side sills and cab. Pro tip: remove your side sills and clean the aluminum on your insulation covers. Use sandpaper and engine degreaser. You'll improve reflectivity, help protect your paint and improve summertime comfort.

Don't say I never told you anything.

Camfab
07-01-2017, 11:20 PM
The factory insulation on the GEN II, is actually stainless steel foil with an internal packing material. It's sub standard and crystallizes over time and fails.

SlowPoke McGee
07-02-2017, 05:23 AM
The factory insulation on the GEN II, is actually stainless steel foil with an internal packing material. It's sub standard and crystallizes over time and fails.

Say what?!
A. Stainless steel foil inside an aluminum side sill?? If that's true this is a major source of corrosion. Why would Dodge do that when they could use aluminum?
B. Do you have a pic of this crystallization process? My old 1994 foil cleaned up nice and bright. Though there was a lot of corrosion on the aluminum. I thought the corrosion was mainly from the metal screws and body contact but if that foil is stainless, that had to play a large role.

Can any of the resident Viper experts confirm the foil: stainless or aluminum?

dave6666
07-02-2017, 07:44 AM
I know this subject has been beaten to death but what subject hasn't with the Gen 1/2 , am I right?
Just reassembling my side sills and got thinking. The aluminum on these insulation packs gets mighty dirty and oxidized over time. That greatly reduces the reflectivity and as a result more heat transfer to side sills and cab. Pro tip: remove your side sills and clean the aluminum on your insulation covers. Use sandpaper and engine degreaser. You'll improve reflectivity, help protect your paint and improve summertime comfort.

Don't say I never told you anything.

Good God you've hit an all time peak on thread fail. There's not one intelligent or correct statement in your post.

For everyone reading this fail of a thread, getting rid of sill heat is easy. But please, don't sand your heat shields. Dumbest idea ever.

SlowPoke McGee
07-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Good God you've hit an all time peak on thread fail. There's not one intelligent or correct statement in your post.

For everyone reading this fail of a thread, getting rid of sill heat is easy. But please, don't sand your heat shields. Dumbest idea ever.

So many words without actually refuting one point I made with fact. Thanks for coming out, Dave!

Camfab
07-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Say what?!
A. Stainless steel foil inside an aluminum side sill?? If that's true this is a major source of corrosion. Why would Dodge do that when they could use aluminum?
B. Do you have a pic of this crystallization process? My old 1994 foil cleaned up nice and bright. Though there was a lot of corrosion on the aluminum. I thought the corrosion was mainly from the metal screws and body contact but if that foil is stainless, that had to play a large role.

Can any of the resident Viper experts confirm the foil: stainless or aluminum?

Not sure why you don't believe me, and yes corrosion does occur. Aluminum as a heat shield against a catalytic converter would fail in weeks.

QuikHD
07-04-2017, 07:56 AM
I like the part where it says "pro tip" in the OP, then asks if the resident experts can confirm aluminum or stainless.

SlowPoke McGee
07-04-2017, 06:24 PM
I like the part where it says "pro tip" in the OP, then asks if the resident experts can confirm aluminum or stainless.

Aluminum or stainless doesn't affect the point of my post. Read it again. I'm speaking to the reflectivity of the metal and how dirt, mud and corrosion can reduce the effectiveness of the heat barrier's design below where it was when it rolled out of the factory. Dirty aluminum won't reflect heat as well as polished shiny aluminum. Dirty stainless won't reflect heat as well as polished shiny stainless.