PDA

View Full Version : Anodized Carbon full wrap question

Anton28
06-27-2017, 11:09 PM
I'm looking to completely wrap my Anodized Carbon GTS. I spent some time at the wrap shop today and got some bad news. The hood and roof cannot be done in one piece. On top of that, because I don't have stripes, it will be impossible to hide the seams. Has anyone one here with a carbon car had this done? Where did you run the seams?

I'm paranoid about this paint and want to protect it but not being able to do a full wrap seamlessly annoys me even more.

donk_316
06-27-2017, 11:37 PM
Any single color car runs into this issue. Same with me. I even considered adding some sort of black out to the hood to hide seams... I ended up not wrapping the hood.

biturboamg
06-27-2017, 11:39 PM
I have seen them add a stripe/stripes to non stripe cars to hide the seam is the only way with the size of the hood. I still wonder how the wrap would hold up to the heat on the rockers.

Anton28
06-27-2017, 11:52 PM
delete

- - - Updated - - -

Any single color car runs into this issue. Same with me. I even considered adding some sort of black out to the hood to hide seams... I ended up not wrapping the hood.

Did you do the roof? Were you able to do it in one piece?

I was thinking about maybe looking in to the 'plasti dip' process for the hood.....

Anton28
06-27-2017, 11:53 PM
I have seen them add a stripe/stripes to non stripe cars to hide the seam is the only way with the size of the hood. I still wonder how the wrap would hold up to the heat on the rockers.

My rockers are wrapped and I don't have any issues with it....so far

PX8SNAKE
06-28-2017, 12:18 AM

I have my entire snake wrapped. The hood was too large and was done in sections for the 6 vent and depending on the light you can see the lines but they did a great job matching everything up. I figured a little tolerance on my part for piece of mind was the right call but I wasn't happy about the piece together at the beginning. The roof has a seam that lines up with the top of the back hatch. The rockers have held up so far after about 3000km. I am super happy about the decision to wrap it. Just wish the cost was a bit more easier on the wallet.

viper44
06-28-2017, 12:24 AM
I am looking to wrap my Acr I just bought. Was wondering to wrap the whole entire car what did that run you if you don't might me asking.

PX8SNAKE
06-28-2017, 12:30 AM
I am looking to wrap my Acr I just bought. Was wondering to wrap the whole entire car what did that run you if you don't might me asking.

The cost was 4700 CDN. It was a tough pill to swallow but constant paint correction would irritate me as I intend to love and drive it as much as the Canadian weather allows. :Canada:

BJG32
06-28-2017, 12:41 AM
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/18415-New-wrapping-option?highlight=Balloon

viper44
06-28-2017, 03:44 AM
Thanks

outnumbered
06-28-2017, 05:22 AM
I'm looking to completely wrap my Anodized Carbon GTS. I spent some time at the wrap shop today and got some bad news. The hood and roof cannot be done in one piece. On top of that, because I don't have stripes, it will be impossible to hide the seams. Has anyone one here with a carbon car had this done? Where did you run the seams?

I'm paranoid about this paint and want to protect it but not being able to do a full wrap seamlessly annoys me even more.

Seams will be very difficult to hide on our matte color. In my opinion, I feel it is the best color to show the lines of the car, however it will also show the wrap seams. I only covered about a third of the hood for this very reason. Gloss colors do a much better job of hiding those seams.

docwviper
06-28-2017, 07:26 AM
I have my entire car wrapped, you can barely see the seams and I have a anodized carbon ACR.

outnumbered
06-28-2017, 07:43 AM
I have my entire car wrapped, you can barely see the seams and I have a anodized carbon ACR.

My friends couldn't tell, but I think I am a little more anal, and it bothered me to no end. I went with the Suntech film. What did you use?

docwviper
06-28-2017, 09:09 AM
My friends couldn't tell, but I think I am a little more anal, and it bothered me to no end. I went with the Suntech film. What did you use?

Expel Stealth, its a matte film.

Voice of Reason
06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Don't plastidip a carbon car! When (not if) the time comes to remove the wrap I cannot see how it would come off the matte paint properly. And when it doesn't, and you've destroyed your paint that cannot be polished, you'll wish you just did the wrap and dealt with seams that are barely visible.

outnumbered
06-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Expel Stealth, its a matte film.

Mine as well.

Voice of Reason
06-28-2017, 12:30 PM
I wish a full wrap was a little cheaper, I'd like to do a full Xpel Stealth wrap on my car to get a flat white look but am too cheap to drop $5k on it.

Anton28
06-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Don't plastidip a carbon car! When (not if) the time comes to remove the wrap I cannot see how it would come off the matte paint properly. And when it doesn't, and you've destroyed your paint that cannot be polished, you'll wish you just did the wrap and dealt with seams that are barely visible.

Yeah good point!

Anton28
06-28-2017, 12:46 PM
I have my entire snake wrapped. The hood was too large and was done in sections for the 6 vent and depending on the light you can see the lines but they did a great job matching everything up. I figured a little tolerance on my part for piece of mind was the right call but I wasn't happy about the piece together at the beginning. The roof has a seam that lines up with the top of the back hatch. The rockers have held up so far after about 3000km. I am super happy about the decision to wrap it. Just wish the cost was a bit more easier on the wallet.

So you only have one seem on the roof at the rear running across the rear where the roof buttons up to the glass?

ACR
06-28-2017, 01:15 PM
I have two seems on my hood, nothing you can do about it, Viper is wide

Anton28
06-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have any option about going pre-cut pieces vs full custom wrap and cut?

slowhatch
06-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Look at post #225 in this thread;

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/17493-The-Chronicles-of-SneakySnake-Vol-III/page9

Anton28
06-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Look at post #225 in this thread;

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/17493-The-Chronicles-of-SneakySnake-Vol-III/page9

Extremely helpful. Thank you!