PDA

View Full Version : Rear Gen V tow hook installed

pj96ss
06-26-2017, 10:13 AM
I decided to take a conference call out in the garage this morning. It was a very productive call as I was able to get the rear tow hook installed. The directions were spot on. I have a 3 foot extension and that made installing the 4 nylock nuts from the rear opening extremely simple. The 3 footer was also very helpful for holding the large bolt in place (neighbor was walking by and was recruited to hold that wrench still from the other side) while I torqued the nut to the 100 ft lbs. I did have to loosen a bottom screw that was preventing a socket to go onto the bolt.

All in all, it was pretty simple. I'm happy that if anything ever happens and the car needs towed, there are hooks on the front and rear.

P.J.

Space Truckin
06-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Good to know...Picking mine up from Fedex today :dude3:

ForTehNguyen
06-26-2017, 12:41 PM
which ones were these. I got the ones from IPSCO, easy to install also.

bluesrt
06-28-2017, 09:45 AM
I think they are referring to the new design for the extreme?

ViperGeorge
06-28-2017, 09:48 AM
The IPSCO rear tow hook is awesome. Very solid and much easier access if you need to get towed. It will fit all Gen 5s not just the ACR-Extreme. It is required on the Extreme though because of the diffuser. I highly recommend it to every Gen 5 owner that tracks their car.

ViperPete
06-29-2017, 01:47 PM
pics??

pj96ss
06-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Here is the tow hook installed.

sprite
06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Who makes that tow hook?

Space Truckin
06-29-2017, 08:43 PM
^^^ipsco^^^

ACR Steve
06-30-2017, 08:55 AM
doesn't show on there web site? how is it mounted on the extreme?

ViperGeorge
06-30-2017, 09:09 AM
doesn't show on there web site? how is it mounted on the extreme?

Same installation on all Gen 5s. I have the installation manual but can't figure out how to post it. Below is the cliff notes version.

Jack up rear of car, remove tires, remove plastic access panels on both sides to gain access to sway bar mounts. They are secured by plastic pins.
You will see a metal tab with oval holes on each side. They are frame tie down points which are not visible from under car.
Slip square bar through the access point and attach to the frame tie down points (which you can only get to through the access points).
Slide hook assembly through rear fascia and attach to square bar using nylock nuts (a very long extension is required or many little ones).
Next drill hole in upper frame on passenger side using template provided. Secure bracing/adjustment bar to this hole and to the hook assembly.
Adjust bracing/adjustment bar to center hook in rear opening. Torque square bar bolts to 100 ft-pounds (impact gun works great).
Attach swivel hook. Done.

A second set of hands is helpful to fish the square bar from one side to the other.