PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Driving School recommedation

steve911
10-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for a Driving school recommendation.

I would like to get some professional instruction to improve my driving skills. I don't consider myself a slouch by any means. I have years of track experience in my snake and I have run some NARRA and NASA events in Time Trials.

I am looking for a 3 day school, that doesn't start with car control. I want to sit in class or be on the track. I would hope the school uses cars that have some horsepower also.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve A.

Leslie
10-27-2013, 09:21 AM
what about Bondurant?

they have corvettes, open wheel cars, cadillac CTS-v's, etc. I hear their stock cars are great!

viperman4125
10-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Ron Fellows ,out of NV. Near Vegas.

Leslie
10-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Ron Fellows ,out of NV. Near Vegas.

that's an awsome school too!!!

Bill Pemberton
11-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Have been to 10 different schools and by far the best one is out there is Miller Motorsports Park Driving School. The designer of the track, Alan Wilson, actually had the Viper in mind when he formulated the course , and the other major benefit is quite often Stan Wilson and Cindi Lux are there instructing ( well known to many Viper racers as two of the best to ever wheel a Snake in anger ). The Mustang they use are torquey , and one can advance to the track cars, so though less power, the driving techniques are actually quite similar. The runoff room is the most generous of any major track in the US , and it really allows you to legitimately explore the limits.

Located in Toelle , Utah, it is an easy drive from the Salt Lake City Airport ( about 30 minutes out ) and you will spend more time in the car than at many schools.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any other information ( billpemberton@woodhouse.com ), but like you, to improve over running in NASA, SCCA, NARRA, a professional school has always helped me find those extra 10ths and polished up my strengths and given me structure to overcome specific weaknesses. Plus, if you are lucky enough to be there when Cindi or Stan are there , you would have the benefit of two of the best instructors in the Country ( overall , the Instructor pool at Miller has been beyond top notch). Just ask Ralph G., Cindi has been his main instructor for years and she is dynamite.

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE.....(between your ears!)

Short Answer In Order:

-Try to book directly with, and request Cindy Lux at Miller. Were you at VOI-11? Same track (50% of it)

--Ron Fellows school at Spring Mountain - Pahrump NV

---Bondurant Vegas.

You can also hire Tommy Archer or Kuno Wittmer [or even Terry Earwood] for NARRA events. And Terry at some Skippie events. I think Tommy may have a seat open at Sebring 11/21-24. Email me for conatcts for Tommy, Cindy, Stan, Terry. Hope To see U at SEBRING!

ps: Since 1991 I have had the benefit of session or day-instructions with Tommy, Terry, Cindy, RandyP, Simon Kirkby, Vic Elford (!) and JVOverbeek. [Tommy I sat right-seat only.] The first thing I had to do each time was clear my brain from what I thought I knew about all 3 elements of EACH corner, and ABSORB what they were doing and/or saying. "Dont Wanna Miss a Thing" is your theme song.

Learning to BRAKE better and most efficiently is a life-long quest for me......

schulmann
11-07-2013, 05:57 AM
One thing about driving school (We have been organizing them for 8 years, over 600 participants) , one day of driving school will only give false sensations that you are a good driver. To be a safe solo driver on track, you need at least 5 days track time. To get up to the speed to experienced drivers you need 20 days track time at least. Then to become a real race we are talking about 50-60 days of track time and a lot of money. Many driving schools are focusing on racing that's good but defensive driving technics are very usefull on street espetially with a Viper. Vipers rarely give a second chance to novice drives and even to experienced drivers. Most fun that I had was in rally schools (Mecca of Slide in Montreal) and skipad.

If you go to a driving school with a Viper, attend it with the idea in your mind that you go there to safely drive above 65mph without getting a ticket. Don't try to be a champion, have fun driving fast your Viper and bring it home. And don't be shy to let other drivers overtake you. This is what I do and have a lot of track miles my Viper.

VENOM V
11-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I'll throw in another vote for Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain. Corvettes have similar performance to a Viper, so it's a good car to learn in. The cars drive somewhat different on-track, but the Corvette is the closest you'll get to a Viper for a school car. I've completed the Ron Fellows ZR1 Level 1 School, Ron Fellows Corvette Level 2 School, and am going back in March for a 2-day private lesson in my Viper. One-on-one private instruction, custom tailored to areas I'd like to work on and areas they see I could improve on. And because I will be driving my own car, the cost per day for a private lesson is about the same as the cost for a group lesson in the school's Corvettes. I just can't wait, I've had a blast and learned a ton every time I've gone.

It's not just a track, it's a resort- you can stay in track-side condos for a decent price, take a dip in their swimming pool and jacuzzi, enjoy the clubhouse, hell they even have a day spa complete with massage. In between each school, I've completed a number of track days, to practice what I learned in each level. Plus, it's 1 hour from Vegas, so you can spend a couple of days in Vegas before or after your class. My lady has been out there with me both times, and will fly in right after my private lessons so we can hit the Vegas strip. The ultimate vacation, if you ask me.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk more, I'll give you my phone number.

Todd

FrankBarba
11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Experience = Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars…….

Bill Pemberton
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
So true , Frank. Of course seat time = dollars also and the viscous circle begins anew!

Late Apex
11-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Spring Mountain all the way..............More important is seat time and learning from mistakes. Being smooth and looking where you want to go next. Good replies here.

steve911
11-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all of the fabulous advise.

Jon, there are a lot of the names you mention that I know of. You are right when you said they were/are great drivers.

Bill, I was unaware that Miller has a resident driving school. My aim is to come away with a comp license and doing what ever it takes to get there.

Its something I always wanted.

Steve A.

Leslie
11-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Experience = Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars + Seat Time + Dollars…….

omg, SO TRUE!

All great suggestions here, bottom line is the seat time!