PDA

View Full Version : 160 T stat and Accufab throttle bodies

Sybil TF
06-17-2017, 08:35 PM
G installed a 160* t-stat with five 1/4" inch holes drilled in it. It has never ran this cool where it dropped below far left tick, cruising at 60mph and 95 ambient outside temp. Stayed on the middle tick before Now idles at the middle tick. So far this is the 3rd time we have had a car run cooler by installing a lower t-stat with holes drilled. 2011 1500 Ram and 2009 Challenger SRT8 would run 215 before t-stat change. Neither run above 195* now.

Also out of boredom:lol2: he port matched and installed the bigger throttle bodies. It feels more responsive and goes well I think with Dan Cragan's tune. Now if only I could drive it ....

Sybil TF
06-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Forgot that he installed power mirrors and power rear hatch release. Put the mirror switch in the cig hole for now and the button for the hatch goes in the center glove box. I know, nothing exciting here but it keeps him out of trouble...:)

Viper Red
06-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Great job!

I installed a 160 Thermo too and it ran very cool. But with ambient temps of over 120F here, it turned out to be a bad idea as the thermo wouldn't allow the coolant enough time to cool in the radiator.

https://driveviper.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6449&stc=1&d=1409272591

dave6666
06-18-2017, 07:43 AM
It's a well know fact that fuel injected engines loose performance when they run that cold. It's also a well known fact that bigger throttle bodies on a Viper engine below 600hp actually lose power too.

I trust the people that write the science on these topics. Not the people that claim butt dyno results. Parts suppliers love the butt dyno crowd tho. They'll probably send you a holiday greeting card for your 2017 purchases.

Sybil TF
06-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Great job!

I installed a 160 Thermo too and it ran very cool. But with ambient temps of over 120F here, it turned out to be a bad idea as the thermo wouldn't allow the coolant enough time to cool in the radiator.

Your post is contradictory.

Sybil TF
06-18-2017, 08:03 AM
It's a well know fact that fuel injected engines loose performance when they run that cold. It's also a well known fact that bigger throttle bodies on a Viper engine below 600hp actually lose power too.

I trust the people that write the science on these topics. Not the people that claim butt dyno results. Parts suppliers love the butt dyno crowd tho. They'll probably send you a holiday greeting card for your 2017 purchases. People have been wrong on the t-stat doesn't lower temps and also the car has no cats, 3" Borla , 1.7 T&Ds and most importantly the intake was port matched to the bigger throttle body gasket. Car likes the increased air which you can feel. No oil temp gauge but the other cars run a 195* temp which is ideal for the modern cars.

Geronimo
06-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Yeah. yeah they don't give a .....lol