PDA

View Full Version : Little Switzerland Grandfather Mountain Retreat

CarolinaViper
06-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Little Switzerland /Grandfather Mountain Retreat

Date: Oct 20th (Friday ) – Oct 22nd (Sunday)

If you have never seen the gorgeous NC mountains in the fall, you are missing a wonderful sight. Even those of us, who are fortunate to live in the mountains are amazed at the wonderful colors. We have planned a great time for driving - sightseeing and my favorite, eating and socializing. If you can make it, I guarantee you will have a great time.

The mountain location is located near the city of Spruce Pine, NC, right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Little Switzerland was so named because its sweeping panoramas of deep valleys and distant ranges resemble those in the foothills of Swiss Alps. You will be enchanted by the Inn’s old world charm, lovingly preserved by the Jensen family for generations. Fine continental dining, generous accommodations, interesting Swiss shops, all in a peaceful, scenic mountain setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Close to area attractions, Switzerland Inn has the closest accommodations to Mount Mitchell and is the only commercial property on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
We have several events planned to include a drive to the scenic Grandfather Mountain, take a very short walk to the mile-high swinging bridge were you can see the panoramic view of the mountains that are along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Also, planned in route to Grandfather Mountain, is a stop at Linville Caverns, where you can actually walk and see the inside of a mountain. So, not to leave the Vipers to themselves, we have also planned a short ride on the “Diamond Back”, not to rival the Tail of the Dragon, but it is a nice curvy road and it is on our route to Grandfather Mountain.

We have two hotels available to us, one is the Little Switzerland Inn, that provides different level of accommodations, several restaurants, and a bar/lounge. The other hotel, is the Pine Valley Motel, with more economy friendly rates, but does not offer the amenities of the Little Switzerland.

Dinner plans for Friday night will be at the Little Switzerland and for Saturday night's dinner will be at Twisted Laurel, located at the Spruce Pine golf course, right across from the Pine Valley Motel.

Note: Please respond via email if you are interested in attending and/or make your motel reservation early, as the rooms become very limited at this time of year. Hopefully, we will get enough interested to make this an event this year.

Hotel Links

Little Switzerland: https://switzerlandinn.com/

Pine Valley: http://www.pinevalleymotel.com/

Diamondback Route: https://switzerlandinn.com/diamondback/the-route/

ACR PHIL
06-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Sounds Great!! Phil & Melody are going All booked

CarolinaViper
06-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Here is a list of those to the Little Switzerland / Grandfather Mountain Excursion

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1

If I left anyone out please let me know.

Jeff

jimmy28803
06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
After a long, hot summer, this is going to be so COOL !

dodgefever
06-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Tom & Diane M. room is booked!

PatrickB
07-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Patrick & Brittany just booked; looks like rooms are still available at the Switzerland Inn, can't say how many though.

Looking forward to this, great time of the year to be in the NC mountains and it's been far too long for us to get out to an event!

CarolinaViper
07-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Here is a list of those to the Little Switzerland / Grandfather Mountain Excursion

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1
Patrick & Brittany
Tom & Diane M.
Mark S. + 1.

ViperDrive97
08-05-2017, 04:02 PM
This could be fun! I am from Asheville, so if I can make it, I'll just stay at my place up there. Maybe I can meet up with you guys!

CarolinaViper
08-07-2017, 02:59 PM
This could be fun! I am from Asheville, so if I can make it, I'll just stay at my place up there. Maybe I can meet up with you guys!

Sounds like a great idea, Donna and I are doing the same thing. as we live less than 15 miles from the event. Check your email in the next hour or so and I will be sending you a welcome letter to the region and some other info. In the email will be several links and some upcoming events.

Jeff Barnes

Mreeves
09-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Add Terri and I to the list. Just booked!!

CarolinaViper
09-16-2017, 07:32 PM

There is still time to reserve rooms and see these fantastic views. We are going to be in the mountains at the best date to see the mountain foliage.

28627 28628

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1
Patrick & Brittany
Tom & Diane M.
Mark S. + 1.
Mike & Terri R.
Scott & Maziel

2ndGEN
09-17-2017, 05:33 PM

There is still time to reserve rooms and see these fantastic views. We are going to be in the mountains at the best date to see the mountain foliage.

28627 28628

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1
Patrick & Brittany
Tom & Diane M.
Mark S. + 1.
Mike & Terri R.

Trying to make it work for Robyn and I. Would be a last minute add.

CarolinaViper
09-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Trying to make it work for Robyn and I. Would be a last minute add.

Jason,

No problem, the Little Switzerland Inn may not have rooms available, but in the information regarding the event, there are alternative hotel/motels. Just let me know as soon as you can, so I can get the group rate tickets for the events we are going to.

Jeff

No hemi
09-18-2017, 03:08 PM
wish I could go, Im having Knee surgery on the 18th so no Rttlsnk driving for now. :(, Have fun though.

PatrickB
10-02-2017, 02:29 PM
If any of the folks coming from the east are planning to caravan on Friday, let me know. We can join up in the Hickory area if we know when you're coming through. If anyone is in my area and wants to meet, we can likely meet at the Pilot travel center on Rock Barn Rd. where we've met in the past.

dodgefever
10-02-2017, 04:14 PM
What time did you have in mind?

CarolinaViper
10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
To those attending the Little Switzerland /Grandfather Mountain event, the drive to Grandfather Mountain has been change; instead we are driving to Blowing Rock, NC. Unfortunately, we are going at a high tourist seasonal time, like us, everybody wants to see the fall foliage during this time of year. The staff at Grandfather Mountain stated they could not provide us with dedicated parking, that we would have to park our Vipers in the general public parking area. The staff at blowing Rock is willing to reserve 15-20 parking spaces (blocked off with traffic cones).

The below itinerary needs to be adhered to as much as possible for the Linville Caverns, Blowing Rock and lunch locations. All places understand and are willing to accommodate our special parking wishes, so that we don’t have to worry about door dings from other vehicles.

I know some of you were excited about the Grandfather Mountain site, but Blowing Rock will have some excellent views of the surrounding mountains and the route via the Parkway is very scenic. Click on the links below for some of the item we will see en route and at Blowing Rock.

At the very bottom of this email are individual Google map links to each place we are going. You may want to save them to you navigation system and/or smart phone. Please ensure you have at least 3/4 tank of fuel before leaving Saturday morning, as we are sort of on a tight schedule due parking arrangements at these locations.

If you did not receive the email with dates, times, and locations, please PM me with your email address and I will forward the email to you.

Thanks,

Jeff B.

PatrickB
10-03-2017, 08:59 PM
What time did you have in mind?

No specific time, we can meet anytime Friday really. I know everyone from the East will be passing right by us so it really depends on when that group comes thru. I assume the group is going to try and link up like usual.

Mreeves
10-04-2017, 07:03 PM
No specific time, we can meet anytime Friday really. I know everyone from the East will be passing right by us so it really depends on when that group comes thru. I assume the group is going to try and link up like usual.

We do plan on hooking up along the way. Dodgefever, where do you plan on getting on 40?

dodgefever
10-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Mike, we take 64 from the coast to 440 looping around Raleigh, to 40 West. Its about 3 hours for us to get to the express gas station on Factory Shops Road in Morrisville where folks normally meet. There will be 2 Vipers traveling from the coast. I am all for getting to Little Switzerland early to take in some sights around Spruce Pine and the Diamondback.

Mreeves
10-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Mike, we take 64 from the coast to 440 looping around Raleigh, to 40 West. Its about 3 hours for us to get to the express gas station on Factory Shops Road in Morrisville where folks normally meet. There will be 2 Vipers traveling from the coast. I am all for getting to Little Switzerland early to take in some sights around Spruce Pine and the Diamondback.

Larry and I and maybe a couple more will meet at the usual place in Morrisville. Is 8:30 too early?

dodgefever
10-06-2017, 05:08 AM
No,8:30 is fine.

CarolinaViper
10-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Here is a list of those to the Little Switzerland / Grandfather Mountain Excursion. We still may have a two or three more couples who might attend at the last moment. A pretty good turn out for a first time event.

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1
Patrick & Brittany
Tom & Diane M.
Mark S. + 1.
Mike & Terri R.
Scott & Maziel

PatrickB
10-06-2017, 10:58 AM
If you guys meet at your usual site and time, what time does that put you getting to the Hickory area?

dodgefever
10-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Google says it's 2.5 Hrs. to get there from Morrisville. That would put us there between 11 and 11:30.

Special Ed
10-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Travel safe everyone. Lisa and I hope you all have a great time. We will think of you as we float on the Mediterranean.

DaveW
10-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Hey, guys! I've had a couple of inquiries if Marcia and I were meeting the caravan at the rest stop just past Winston Salem on I-40 as usual. Basically, taking 40 to Marion and jumping off northbound to the Blue Ridge Parkway is the quickest route. However, you're only on the Parkway for a brief period. We're leaving Winston on US 421 toward Boone, NC and hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway prior to Boone, then taking it all the way to Little Switzerland. It will be the peak time for foliage in the mountains, and you don't want to be on the Parkway on a Saturday or Sunday at that time of the year.

If there's any interest in cruising the Parkway for about 50 miles, and the colors should be outstanding then, we'll meet you at the Northwest NC Visitor's Center/Rest Stop, just past exit 282 (Statesville Rd) on 421. Immediately after leaving the rest stop, there's a large variety of gas stations in Wilkesboro to choose from, as your Vipers will need to top off before taking the Parkway to the hotel (Shell, Exxon, Murphy Express, Marathon, Fast Track, etc.).

Caution regarding driving on the Parkway: While it may resemble the Tail of the Dragon or the Rattler, it's a Federal road and the speed limits are closely monitored. Enjoy the views and colors at a leisurely rate of speed, and stay safe! The colors of your Vipers will attract as much attention as our NC fall tree foliage!

Let me know if you're interested in meeting at the rest stop and we'll set a time. It's about a 30 minute drive farther than the rest stop we normally meet at on I-40. You simply take the US 421 exit off I-40 as you pass through Winston.

Dave

Mreeves
10-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Hey, guys! I've had a couple of inquiries if Marcia and I were meeting the caravan at the rest stop just past Winston Salem on I-40 as usual. Basically, taking 40 to Marion and jumping off northbound to the Blue Ridge Parkway is the quickest route. However, you're only on the Parkway for a brief period. We're leaving Winston on US 421 toward Boone, NC and hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway prior to Boone, then taking it all the way to Little Switzerland. It will be the peak time for foliage in the mountains, and you don't want to be on the Parkway on a Saturday or Sunday at that time of the year.

If there's any interest in cruising the Parkway for about 50 miles, and the colors should be outstanding then, we'll meet you at the Northwest NC Visitor's Center/Rest Stop, just past exit 282 (Statesville Rd) on 421. Immediately after leaving the rest stop, there's a large variety of gas stations in Wilkesboro to choose from, as your Vipers will need to top off before taking the Parkway to the hotel (Shell, Exxon, Murphy Express, Marathon, Fast Track, etc.).

Caution regarding driving on the Parkway: While it may resemble the Tail of the Dragon or the Rattler, it's a Federal road and the speed limits are closely monitored. Enjoy the views and colors at a leisurely rate of speed, and stay safe! The colors of your Vipers will attract as much attention as our NC fall tree foliage!

Let me know if you're interested in meeting at the rest stop and we'll set a time. It's about a 30 minute drive farther than the rest stop we normally meet at on I-40. You simply take the US 421 exit off I-40 as you pass through Winston.

Dave

I spoke to Patrick earlier and told him about the plan. He may drive north and meet us for the ride down.

PatrickB
10-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Dave, are you jumping on the Parkway just before Deep Gap?

Like Mike said, we spoke the other night; we'll keep an eye out for the plans & times you guys set and then make a decision if we'll head up north to catch you guys or just go to Little Switzerland on our own.

Looking forward to it!

DaveW
10-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Dave, are you jumping on the Parkway just before Deep Gap?

Like Mike said, we spoke the other night; we'll keep an eye out for the plans & times you guys set and then make a decision if we'll head up north to catch you guys or just go to Little Switzerland on our own.

Looking forward to it!
Yeah, near Deep Gap. I realize it's a hike out of the way, but Marcia and I haven't done the BR Parkway at this time of the year in forever. Just thought we'd take our time and hope it's not like the zoo the Parkway will be on a weekend day.

Can't wait to see you guys!

jimuaya
10-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Hey, my wife and I are interested in coming for the Little Switzerland weekend, but we need to know the itinerary for Friday and Saturday because we are coming from Chattanooga, TN, which is a 5 1/2 drive. Thanks, John and Kim Muaya

CarolinaViper
10-14-2017, 06:36 PM
jimuaya,

Send me (PM) your email address and I will forward the info.

Jeff

CarolinaViper
10-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Hey, my wife and I are interested in coming for the Little Switzerland weekend, but we need to know the itinerary for Friday and Saturday because we are coming from Chattanooga, TN, which is a 5 1/2 drive. Thanks, John and Kim Muaya

John,

I sent the itinerary to your inbox here on the forum, send me your email address and I will forward the entire email. I just didn't want to list the times/dates/locations of where we are going to be...I might be over cautious.

Jeff

dirtyboot
10-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Interested in joining, but may just be for Saturday as finding a place last week proved difficult. Will check around again today. Just me solo.

CarolinaViper
10-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Interested in joining, but may just be for Saturday as finding a place last week proved difficult. Will check around again today. Just me solo.

If you do go, give me a call as soon as you can (828) 442-3393. Need to know for tickets to the places and more important dinner that night. Hope you can make it.

Jeff

dirtyboot
10-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Snuck into two cancellations for the weekend! Left you a voicemail Jeff.

PatrickB
10-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, Britt and I are not going to catch the caravan on Friday; we've gotta hang around home for a portion of that day now and aren't exactly sure what time we'll be leaving. We'll be in Little Switzerland by dinner time, most likely sooner but not sure of the exact time as of yet. We're about an hour and 20 minutes away so it won't take us long to get there.

Can't wait till this weekend!

CarolinaViper
10-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Snuck into two cancellations for the weekend! Left you a voicemail Jeff.

Got it, sending the email with times.

jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, Britt and I are not going to catch the caravan on Friday; we've gotta hang around home for a portion of that day now and aren't exactly sure what time we'll be leaving. We'll be in Little Switzerland by dinner time, most likely sooner but not sure of the exact time as of yet. We're about an hour and 20 minutes away so it won't take us long to get there.

Can't wait till this weekend!

Glad you guys can make it

PatrickB
10-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Glad you guys can make it

Yes sir, we are looking forward to a good weekend!

CarolinaViper
10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Guys & Gals

Here is a quick snapshot of what the weather is going to be like from 8:00am until 3:00 pm in Spruce Pine/Blowing rock. Its is actually Thursday's timechart, but Friday's and Saturday is very close to the same maybe 1-2 degrees cooler on Saturday, because its going to be partly cloudy. You might want to dress in layers, in the morning at the caverns outside temp will be around 50 degrees. Inside the caverns it is a constant 57 degrees year round. Don't wear sandals/flipflops, as it is very uneven walking in the caverns. Also, at times it can be a little damp/wet with water dripping from the ceilings. The temperature will be in the low 60's when we arrive at Blowing Rock. After lunch on the ride back, the temperature will be in the low 70's, could be a little warm in the Vipers if you don't dress in layers. See below temp chart for more details. Temperature at dinner time for both night will be in the low 50's.

Jeff29234

CarolinaViper
10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Updated list of those that are confirmed coming...still have two couples who might.

Jeff & Donna B.
Dale Elizebeth S.
Phil & Melody B.
John D. Plus 1
Dave T.
Dave & Marcia
Rick & Cheryl H.
Larry & Tricia
James H. Plus 1
Patrick & Brittany
Tom & Diane M.
Mark S. + 1.
Mike & Terri R.
Scott & Maziel
John & Kim M.
Dylan G.
Matt Plus 1
Dave I Plus 1

Mreeves
10-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Dave

I currently have Larry, Rick, Tom, Dylan and myself meeting in Raleigh at 8:30am then headed toward Dave at the rest stop on 421. Is there anyone else that wants to hop on somewhere along the way?

ACR PHIL
10-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Hey Mike Could I meet up with you guys at Sandy Ridge Rd exit in Greensboro. Guessing you will be there around 9:15-9:30
Hope to see you tomorrow.
Phil & Melody

Mreeves
10-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Hey Mike Could I meet up with you guys at Sandy Ridge Rd exit in Greensboro. Guessing you will be there around 9:15-9:30
Hope to see you tomorrow.
Phil & Melody

Sounds great!! Looks like that is exit 208. We will see you tomorrow morning.

DaveW
10-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Sounds great!! Looks like that is exit 208. We will see you tomorrow morning.
Can you estimate when you might reach the rest stop, and/or give me a call before you get to Winston?

Mreeves
10-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Can you estimate when you might reach the rest stop, and/or give me a call before you get to Winston?

I'll call you when we leave Raleigh and after we pick up Phil.

DaveW
10-19-2017, 06:49 PM
I'll call you when we leave Raleigh and after we pick up Phil.
Thanks, Mike. Looks like there's a crowd going. And the one time there's not a hurricane hitting Charleston...

Oops! Hope no sudden snowstorm hits the mountains :)

PatrickB
10-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Another phenomenal weekend with the crew! Thanks goes out to Jeff and everyone else who helped with the event. Great weather, great roads, cool location and most importantly great friends, we couldn't have asked for anything more! So glad we were able to catch up with old friends and make new ones!

CarolinaViper
10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
I echo what Patrick said. This turned out better than I expected, even with the little hiccups with our reservations, everything turned out great. The staff at the motel posted us leaving for the Caverns on their FB page here's the video:

https://www.facebook.com/SwitzerlandInn/videos/10159559696065038/?story_fbid=1771252632947044&id=100001869734249&notif_id=1508763464994878&notif_t=share_wall_create