PDA

View Full Version : 01 RT Muffler?

dave502
01-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Getting tired of the quiet stock mufflers. Does anybody use the flowmaster 8525554 muffler? Don't want real loud just a little rumble.Can anybody suggest what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Luisv
01-31-2014, 07:26 AM
I see nobody had answered so I figure I'd chime in.

This Flowmaster is likely going to give you a similar sound to what you currently have with the stock unit. While this is a guess... I would say that those simply look like a pair of glass/steel packed bullet mufflers welded together. They are also made for use on a V8. There are differences in the designs because of the exhaust patter we have vs. that of a V8. Look at it this way, we have 2 more explosions per revolution than a V8 at any RPM.

Most folks that are looking for an exhaust opt for the Corsa system. I have one on my Charger SRT8 that is also supercharged. The tone is awesome. On the Viper the characteristics are similar. Rather mellow rumble at idle and low RPM driving. When on the throttle it is a very nice and significantly louder rumble. There is no rasp at any point and there is no resonance in the cabin AT ALL. They are chambered mufflers so the sound characteristics will never change regardless of how long you have them on or how many miles you drive. "Pack" mufflers, either with glass or steel, will ultimately have the material settle inside a bit and it will change the sound. The Corsa is a pricey option but the sound is simply awesome.

What I did is a little different. I too wanted a bit louder rumble and I was a bit tired of the infamous "truck sound" the stock system has. What I did was delete the rear muffler. You still have two mufflers in the side sills of the car. What I did was pull the stock piece off and have a pair of straight pipes put in it's place with a crossover where the stock can was. I now have a significantly louder exhaust but at anything less than 2000 RPM it is sufficiently quiet in the cabin that you can carry on a conversation with the passenger. If you are on it, it is loud. There is definately a bit of a resonance in the cabin at certain RPM's but it's avoidable at most highway speeds if you are just above or below the "noisy" band. The swap was custom made at a reputable shop we have in Miami. Complete with a pair of stainless 4" tips that fill the rear cavity much better the whole change cost me $400, installed. I had them put it in with clamps (just like the stock system) in case I need to take back to stock config.

Just an option...

99RT10
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
How about going with a 3" Borla catback:

http://driveviper.com/classifieds/exhaust/p126-borla-4-muffler-catback-2c-never-used.html

Bugman Jeff
01-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Flowmasters of that style use a series of V shaped baffles to attenuate the sound, there is no packing in them. Despite the name and marketing strategies, Flowmasters in general are not in fact the masters of flow. Tests have shown that FMs often actually have the worst flow of all the muffler in their respective categories. I've never seen one on a Viper, but based on how they sound on other cars, it would likely add more rasp to the sound instead of rumble.

If you want a bit more sound, you could try just removing the rear muffler all together. The cats and side sill resonators will still do plenty of muffling. If you like the sound, any exhaust shop can then bend up a pair of "muffler delete pipes" to replace the rear section for around $100, and can either weld on custom tips or reuse the stock tips cut off your muffler. My 97's got just the side sill resonators left(didn't have cats when I bought it, and I made my own muffler delete pipe). It's still quiet enough to hold a conversation on the highway, although there is a bit of drone at certain RPMs. Here's how it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrekiUuHVDw

dave502
02-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks Guys....I got a super deal on a Flowmaster 8525554 50 series muffler http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-8525554/ and a pair of flowmaster 15316 Exhaust tips http://www.carid.com/universal-exhaust-systems/flowmaster-exhaust-tips-1361849.html?CAWELAID=1772932793 I'm from Fl. (no inspection required) But am working in Freeport TX for the next 4 years (Inspection Required)...I'll try this setup and see how it sounds if it's not what I want then I'll try one of your suggestions...

Thanks

Bugman Jeff
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm very interested in hearing how it sounds. Post a video if/when you can :)