PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Q: Are Gen 3/4 midpipes interchangeable?

slowhatch
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Got a few questions for those that may have experience. I bought a Corsa track catback from a gen 3 owner (2.5" inlets, 3" piping), and then bought 3" midpipes with hi-flow cats from a gen 4 owner (3" piping).

Is the mating connection at the headers on both gen 3/4 a vband clamp?
Do the gen 3 and 4 midpipe share the same geometry. Bend radius, inlet/outlet locations?
Will i need O2 extensions for the upstreams or will be fine with the stock wiring?

Basically i don't want any surprises when I tear into it this weekend. I am going to take the catback to a muffler shop to have the inlets cut off and 3" inlets welded on.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/ACRucrazy/000%20Misc%20Viper/CorsaCat2_zps0782fab0.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/ACRucrazy/000%20Misc%20Viper/CorsaCat4_zps35416203.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s99/ACRucrazy/000%20Misc%20Viper/CorsaCat6_zps454e4235.jpg

FLATOUT
01-28-2014, 10:58 AM
The Gen 3 and 4 cars have different exhaust manifolds from the factory so if those were designed to mate up to a gen 4 setup they won't work. If they were originally setup for a gen 3 you should be fine from there back as long as everything is the correct diameter. If something is off you will have to go to an exhaust shop and have them change the size of anything that doesn't mate up.

Good luck buddy, if you have any questions this weekend give me a call.

Andy

slowhatch
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
So basically, those midpipes wont mate up to my stock manifolds?

So what has to be modified to make them work? Is the type of connection different, location, etc?

FLATOUT
01-28-2014, 12:02 PM
If they are for a gen 4 they wont mate up to a gen 3. As for what would have to be done, I couldn't tell you but it could be a lot more work than it is worth, different length, angles and what not. You need to buy a set that came off a gen 3. (just trying to help)

slowhatch
01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
If they are for a gen 4 they wont mate up to a gen 3. As for what would have to be done, I couldn't tell you but it could be a lot more work than it is worth, different length, angles and what not. You need to buy a set that came off a gen 3. (just trying to help)

http://musformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-dumb-and-dumber-lloyd-christmas-meme-600x324.jpg

LOL. Damnit, well, guess its gonna be catback only this weekend.

FLATOUT
01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
LOL Well atleast you'll get the Corsa on. You'll love the sound.

Timnineside
01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm no expert but I'll give this a shot:

1- Is the mating connection at the headers on both gen 3/4 a vband clamp? Yes
2- Do the gen 3 and 4 midpipe share the same geometry. Bend radius, inlet/outlet locations? No (mainly do to direction of Gen 3 exhaust for crossover)
3- Will i need O2 extensions for the upstreams or will be fine with the stock wiring? No you will not need extensions

This is all from my experience and I am NO expert. I purchased homemade "CAT deletes" off from a Gen 3. I own a Gen 4. The Gen 3 CAT deletes I purchased were used but a guy that wanted to rid his car of the cross over pipe had them made. Here are my facts:

These are homemade using the gen 3 Flange (where the V-band hooks to header) using stock Gen 3 pipes from what I know
These hooked to my Gen 4 OEM header
These also hooked to my OEM mufflers
These also hooked to my Borla's

I think you're good however never owning a Gen 3 car I cannot guarantee this.

-Tim

slowhatch
01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm no expert but I'll give this a shot:

1- Is the mating connection at the headers on both gen 3/4 a vband clamp? Yes
2- Do the gen 3 and 4 midpipe share the same geometry. Bend radius, inlet/outlet locations? No (mainly do to direction of Gen 3 exhaust for crossover)
3- Will i need O2 extensions for the upstreams or will be fine with the stock wiring? No you will not need extensions

This is all from my experience and I am NO expert. I purchased homemade "CAT deletes" off from a Gen 3. I own a Gen 4. The Gen 3 CAT deletes I purchased were used but a guy that wanted to rid his car of the cross over pipe had them made. Here are my facts:

These are homemade using the gen 3 Flange (where the V-band hooks to header) using stock Gen 3 pipes from what I know
These hooked to my Gen 4 OEM header
These also hooked to my OEM mufflers
These also hooked to my Borla's

I think you're good however never owning a Gen 3 car I cannot guarantee this.

-Tim

Hmm, this gives me hope. Thanks tim. I guess I'll have to get in there and see whats what.

98intrigue
01-28-2014, 08:11 PM
I have catless midpipes for a Gen 3 if you're interested. I recently installed my Belanger setup and have the midpipes sitting in my garage.

slowhatch
01-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I have catless midpipes for a Gen 3 if you're interested. I recently installed my Belanger setup and have the midpipes sitting in my garage.

Ryan i dont want to go cat-less, but if this doesn't work out (I'm still hoping it will), i will keep you in mind.

CaptainDavid
02-01-2014, 10:37 AM
I have a set of new V band clamps if you need them.

Timnineside
02-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Well what was the outcome here OP?

slowhatch
02-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Car is at the shop as we speak. I figured if something doesn't fit or needs some welding/cutting i'd rather the car be at a place with the proper equipment--and not in my garage. I took off the underbody panel and the side sills for them and drove it up there. They should let me know when its done (fingers crossed).

Oh and the answer to my question;

3. Will i need O2 extensions for the upstreams or will be fine with the stock wiring? No extensions needed. Because the up-streams are in the headers themselves, only the down-streams are in the mid-pipes, and reach just fine.

slowhatch
02-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Car reminds me of the terminator face--half machine/half man--with the side sill cover off. My buddy snapped this pic as she was tucked away in his garage over the weekend (we did the work there).

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/833/xg8w.jpg

Mr. Bill
02-03-2014, 12:23 PM
What a bad ass garage! LOL!

FLATOUT
02-03-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm confused, why didn't you just buy the correct part again? LOL you could have sold those to a gen 4 guy looking for a set and then taken the money and bought the correct part. Not trying to be a jerk just tryng to understand the thought process.

slowhatch
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm confused, why didn't you just buy the correct part again? LOL you could have sold those to a gen 4 guy looking for a set and then taken the money and bought the correct part. Not trying to be a jerk just tryng to understand the thought process.

Because they are completely interchangeable, everything bolted up swimmingly.

So for any one else wondering, gen 3 and gen 4 midpipes are completely interchangeable if you are using the stock manifolds. 02's are in the same place (upstream and downstream, and the v-band is the same size.

Timnineside
02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Because they are completely interchangeable, everything bolted up swimmingly.

So for any one else wondering, gen 3 and gen 4 midpipes are completely interchangeable if you are using the stock manifolds. 02's are in the same place (upstream and downstream, and the v-band is the same size.

Boom called it! Glad to hear it worked out for you. Now if someone wants to buy my OEM gen 4 cats PM me!

-Tim

slowhatch
02-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks Tim, i wouldn't of attempted it without your success story:p

ACRucrazy
02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Glad to hear they worked out for you! How do you like the setup?

Timnineside
02-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks Tim, i wouldn't of attempted it without your success story:p

Making dreams come true with random-a$$ exhaust installs one at a time!

slowhatch
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear they worked out for you! How do you like the setup?

Sounds ridiculous. Like a john deere tractor and africanized honey bees had sex with a p51 mustang.

Ill post pics of the install in my build thread tomorrow.

FLATOUT
02-05-2014, 06:30 AM
Lol that's good news! With the exhaust manifolds being different on both cars I never would have guessed that they would bolt up .

Congrats man!