PDA

View Full Version : Doug DeMuro Gen 5 Test

swexlin
06-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Does this ACR belong to anyone one here? I've met Doug and his 97 Viper (and some other cars he's had) at our local C&C.

This ACR the owner has had 6 months, and has 10,000 miles - in NJ, and after the winter we had. I only put 13K on my daily Ram in a year! I've put 485 miles on the Viper since October....

Anyway, typical DeMuro video, he's not really a fan of either Viper, but appreciates certain aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4U6wvIjzMY

Kurt
06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Yes, that's Eugene's ACR.

swexlin
06-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Yes, that's Eugene's ACR.

Yes Eugene, right. Met him at Carlisle. Last he posted on here, months ago, he was awaiting his new engine. I guess he got it and the new one is good!

But he's had his car about a year now not 6 months like Doug said. He had it for a month or two last July. Maybe he meant 6 months on the new engine.

SharpMan
06-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Yes Eugene, right. Met him at Carlisle. Last he posted on here, months ago, he was awaiting his new engine. I guess he got it and the new one is good!

But he's had his car about a year now not 6 months like Doug said. He had it for a month or two last July. Maybe he meant 6 months on the new engine.

Maybe the video wasn't shot as recently as it was released.

One thing I noticed...looked like rust on the billet aluminum locating piece at the top of the front shock absorber...those shocks are too pretty to daily drive. Though I admire the heck out of Eugene for doing so anyway!

slowhatch
06-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Does this ACR belong to anyone one here? I've met Doug and his 97 Viper (and some other cars he's had) at our local C&C.

This ACR the owner has had 6 months, and has 10,000 miles - in NJ, and after the winter we had. I only put 13K on my daily Ram in a year! I've put 485 miles on the Viper since October....

Anyway, typical DeMuro video, he's not really a fan of either Viper, but appreciates certain aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4U6wvIjzMY

Demuro owns a car he's not a fan of?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/jonah_the-f.gif

SharpMan
06-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Demuro owns a car he's not a fan of?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/jonah_the-f.gif

I think the thing with Doug is that he probably does like it but if the vids are too effusive then they aren't unique and aren't as entertaining or controversial (within' the car community;-)

His criticism are typically trite and you can tell he knows it. They're also usually fair too.

slowhatch
06-06-2017, 09:18 PM
I think the thing with Doug is that he probably does like it but if the vids are too effusive then they aren't unique and aren't as entertaining or controversial (within' the car community;-)

His criticism are typically trite and you can tell he knows it. They're also usually fair too.

The simple fact that this is easy to read by his constituents negates what he's trying to accomplish.

Snorman
06-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Anybody who runs a Carfax on cars parked on the street is a fucking weirdo. And yeah that's Doug DeMuro. I've seen at least two articles on Facebook where he did that.
S.

mackzilla
06-06-2017, 09:59 PM
The simple fact that this is easy to read by his constituents negates what he's trying to accomplish.
Unless it's a trick 👀

One Viper Bite
06-07-2017, 01:45 AM
My problem with Doug DeMuro is that he shows zero knowledge when it comes to cars and he has zero driving skill. Why does he review performance cars if he drives them all like Camrys? He should stick to reviewing passenger cars.

While this review is more positive than most, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. If he wanted a car that can adjust suspension at the touch of a button, he should have compared his Gen 2 to a Gen V GTS, not a the hardcore track focused beast that is the ACR.

Steering isn't as precise as an exotic? One of the few highly praised aspects of the Gen V IS the steering. Matt Farah praised the Gen Vs steering (and that guy can f***ing drive).

It isn't a precision tool like a Ferrari or Lamborghini? Since when has Lamborghini EVER been a precision performance tool? Lamborghini has only started to become a name in precision performance with the Huracan platform.

Doug DeMuro is an idiot and people need to stop handing him fast, capable machines to drive and review because it's a total waste and he just spreads useless information.

38D
06-07-2017, 05:26 AM
Video seemed very positive on the ACR. His only real complaint was the ride quality, which is harsher in the ACR.

swexlin
06-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Maybe Eugene can chime in here. Although, I haven't seen him post on here since he has his engine issue.

Eugene, you out there???

str5010
06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Maybe Eugene can chime in here. Although, I haven't seen him post on here since he has his engine issue.

Eugene, you out there???

He posted quite a bit about this on the VOA Facebook page.

swexlin
06-07-2017, 08:46 AM
He posted quite a bit about this on the VOA Facebook page.

Oh, OK. I don't read the FB stuff. Got tired of the "front-end Friday" BS....

PkB2014
06-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Video seemed very positive on the ACR. His only real complaint was the ride quality, which is harsher in the ACR.

Yep, agreed. Seemed very positive.

Scott_in_fl
06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
I thought the review was overall very, very positive. And, why shouldn't it be? The car is universally praised. I also pay more attention to video reviewers' expressions than their words. Watch this video from 9:00 to the end and I don't think there is any doubt about how he feels for the car.

I do agree though that he may be a bit inexperienced for this level of machine (but, it's not his, the owner was sitting beside him, etc.).

But what really blew me out was the comment about the steering or overall precision, which is dumbfounding especially if he is using Lamborghini as the benchmark. Why anyone would consider Lamborghini to be the benchmark for precision handling is beyond me -- hell, had he mentioned just about any Pcar I would have let it slide. That was a tremendous gaff.

AZTVR
06-07-2017, 11:33 AM
I agree. The video was very positive toward the Gen V. Demuro's videos are no more real reviews than are Jeremy Clarkson's. I'm surprised that any Viper owner would take it as a serious review. It is merely entertainment as a means of earning money.

serpent
06-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Im tired of seeing wings/rear spoilers on convertible vipers. Those guys probably had riced out mustangs/corvettes at some point or another.

ViperDC
06-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Doug Demuro is a little girl. Can't stand his videos.

ViperJon
06-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Agree. Goofy demeanor and style. Not interesting or in any way informative.

swexlin
06-07-2017, 03:37 PM
He's very different in person - very normal, actually.

Agree, his "schtick" in his videos gets old quick.

darbgnik
06-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Im tired of seeing wings/rear spoilers on convertible vipers. Those guys probably had riced out mustangs/corvettes at some point or another.

Hahahaha! It's funny 'cause it's true!

The_Ruski_Driver
06-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Seeing this name in the thread title made me gag. I think autotrader hired him tho, someone apparently likes his videos, no idea who.

AZTVR
06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
This thread is starting to sound like the stereotypical 1960s scene of the women talking at the tupperware party about soap opera actor/actresses

ViperDC
06-09-2017, 05:32 PM
This thread is starting to sound like the stereotypical 1960s scene of the women talking at the tupperware party about soap opera actor/actresses

beats another thread about xpel coating your lug nuts

swexlin
06-09-2017, 07:16 PM
beats another thread about xpel coating your lug nuts

Classic! You win the internet today!