PDA

View Full Version : 2006 compression?

dadstoy
01-27-2014, 09:44 PM
read on an internet site that the 2006 engine has a 9.something to 1 compression ratio.

is this true?

has anyone shaved the heads to bump the compression?

Allan
01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
I thought it was closer to 10:1...........

Allan
01-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Just looked it up in my service info,...........
9.6:1

The_Greg
01-28-2014, 08:15 AM
A friend of mine put Gen IV head gaskets on his Gen III, that bumps the compression since they are thinner.

I have never seen them listed anywhere for sale though, and never checked a dealership. I am curious to know how much they are.

Viper Specialty
01-28-2014, 10:23 AM
A friend of mine put Gen IV head gaskets on his Gen III, that bumps the compression since they are thinner.

I have never seen them listed anywhere for sale though, and never checked a dealership. I am curious to know how much they are.

Avoid.

Go with a custom gasket. We have seen some reliability issues with the OE G4's over the years.

Allan
01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Avoid.

Go with a custom gasket. We have seen some reliability issues with the OE G4's over the years.Red flag posts like this are great info .......for those who will heed the advice of experienced Viper shops.

Thanks.

The_Greg
01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Avoid.

Go with a custom gasket. We have seen some reliability issues with the OE G4's over the years.

Yes, like Allan said, thanks for chiming in. Any recommendations on a custom gasket or what kind of price range one should expect for that? I have a snapped bolt on my headers and would have to pull the head to replace it. That would make a good opportunity to do some other little things to the car like a head gasket. :)

345s-bspinnin
01-29-2014, 08:52 AM
My heads/cam Gen III has both thinner Gen IV head gasket and decked heads to bump up the compression (on OEM pistons/rods). My compression ended up at a tick over 10.6:1, but that also included some small volumetric changes to the combustion chamber. My end results was about 640whp. I have been running mine hard at 1/4, 1/2, 1-mile tracks as well a couple of HPD events for the past two years. Add another 7-8k miles of hwy which included a couple very spirited rallys.

I hadn't heard of any issues plaguing Gen IV head gaskets. Dan, can you elaborate on the issues? I do have my heads fastened with ARP studs. I am not sure this is precluding any direct issue with the head gaskets.

Viper Specialty
01-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes, like Allan said, thanks for chiming in. Any recommendations on a custom gasket or what kind of price range one should expect for that? I have a snapped bolt on my headers and would have to pull the head to replace it. That would make a good opportunity to do some other little things to the car like a head gasket. :)

We have a different MLS design available in two variations; a standard moderate HP levels MLS, and an extreme power MLS with integral loading ring around the cylinder. All of our G2+ gasket designs have lifter removal provisions allowing lifter and cam changes without head removal. Costs are about 135-200 per gasket depending on type.

Viper Specialty
01-29-2014, 08:18 PM
I hadn't heard of any issues plaguing Gen IV head gaskets. Dan, can you elaborate on the issues? I do have my heads fastened with ARP studs. I am not sure this is precluding any direct issue with the head gaskets.

We have had many Gen-4 engines through here as part of our race engine program for the NARRA guys, as well as all of the Gen-4 donor cores that we use for shelf stock parts. We have seen on more than one engine trails of leakage between gasket layers, as well as tell-tail signs of the sealing layer being compromised. On more than one, the problems were obviously stemming from the sealant application, bubbles in the mixture resulted in a weak spot when torqued which eventually gave way. None of them were catastrophic failures, and most likely would have lead to normal service life... but on an engine pushed to its limit, they surely would have caused problems.