PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 shredded rear tire

Fatboy 18
05-31-2017, 02:14 AM
I have a question for the tech guys.

Here's what happened.
while out on a weekend with many other viper owners one owner sadly got a flat in his Gen 3 and could not continue the journey.
I stopped and tried to help, we managed to jack up the car and get the wheel off but sadly my Gen II spare would not fit onto the Gen 3 due to the size of the rear brake caliper.
I know Mark at IPSCO makes an adapter to bolt onto the rear wheel hub to allow a spare wheel to be used, but the spare wheel on a gen II is a 17" space saver!

So the question is could you use this space saver (with the hub adapter) as an emergency to continue your Journey without damaging the rear diff?

Thanks.

Vprbite
05-31-2017, 04:41 AM
We had this happen on a drive. We took a good tire off a gen II and put it on the gen 3/4 and the gen II drove with the spare. It was on the front though. Different sizes on the rear could be trouble.

I keep tire gel/foam or whatever that fix a flat stuff is and an inflator on long drives. But on the drive where our member got a flat he tore the sidewall all the way the wheel. So it was well beyond repair.

Good thinking on the wheel spacer. Would that move the wheel past the the brake rotor though? How big would the spacer have to be?

Fatboy 18
05-31-2017, 06:05 AM
We had this happen on a drive. We took a good tire off a gen II and put it on the gen 3/4 and the gen II drove with the spare. It was on the front though. Different sizes on the rear could be trouble.

I keep tire gel/foam or whatever that fix a flat stuff is and an inflator on long drives. But on the drive where our member got a flat he tore the sidewall all the way the wheel. So it was well beyond repair.

Good thinking on the wheel spacer. Would that move the wheel past the the brake rotor though? How big would the spacer have to be?

Here is the spacer and new studs Mark makes for the Gen II fitted with a big brake kit.
http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/Viper%20Spare%20tire%20adapter.htm

I am guessing you could also use this on a Gen 3/4

Tire foam would be no good as both side walls were in pieces!

What I am concerned about is having two different size wheels on the rear Diff?