PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light P1719 and can't get reverse

Lizzardking308
05-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Went for a drive yesterday and a CEL came on. Got home and read it, P1719, the skip shift solenoid. Did some reading online and appears that it is related to the fuse that powers the reverse block and the rear passenger O2 sensor. I pulled the side sill off and the O2 sensor looks good, but after trying another fuse and letting the car idle for a few, CEL came on again and the fuse was blown. Is my next step to replace the O2 sensor? Can I use a simulator and prevent this issue from happening again? Is there potentially another issue? The car doesn't have the skip shift bypass that I can see, but I've read that one of those going bad can cause it. It should be obvious that it has one, correct?

Any help is appreciated!

Car is 2006 Coupe, it has a full Bellanger kit, no other mods.

ACtechOPS
05-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Took a quick look at the manual, assuming it's the 15 amp fuse in the PDC (814) that is blowing. Good news is, should be easy to isolate culprit. Like you said, fuse powers reverse lockout sol, skip shift solenoid and left/right downstream O2 sensors. There is a thread here (http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/619280-transmission-code-P1719) with the same issue and it was indeed melted/shorted wiring for an O2 sensor. You don't state that you have any additional codes, but I'm betting you do. Your main goal is to stop the fuse from blowing so you can isolate which of the three systems is causing you grief. In the PDC center, pull the O2 sensor heater replay for the downstream sensors and replace the fuse. Run the car and see if it blows. If it doesn't blow, then you do indeed have an O2 issue, probably wiring. You can also check at this time if your skip shift and reverse lockout function has returned. If you want to know whether it's wiring or sensor, reinstall the relay, replace the fuse and disconnect one O2 sensor at a time. Obviously if the fuse still blows with the relay in and both sensors disconnected, you have a wiring fault. Let us know the outcome.

Lizzardking308
05-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Do you know which fuse I pull to control the O2 sensor heater replay? The thread below sounds like the same issue I'm having, and it's the same fuse that was blowing, the 3rd small one down, a blue 15. I pulled the passenger sill, should I pull the drivers side as well?

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/665825-Won-t-go-in-reverse-CEL

ACtechOPS
05-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Look at the two images. Simply pull out the Oxygen sensor heater relay and put in a new fuse. Power runs from the fuse through the relay to the O2 sensors. Same fuse provides power to the Rev lockout and skip shift. By pulling the relay you eliminate the O2 heater circuit from the equation.

Lizzardking308
05-21-2017, 04:03 PM
I did that and the fuse didn't blow. How obvious should it be that the O2 sensor wires are bad? I pulled the passenger side and it looks fine, but I could be wrong. Is it better to be safe than sorry and pull both sides off and look at both? Can I put simulators in place of these without any negative effects?

Lizzardking308
05-21-2017, 04:09 PM
I was able to get reverse again as well. Forgot to mention that.

ACtechOPS
05-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Awesome, so we are on the right track. If you want to prove that it is the wiring and not the sensor, pull the connector plugs off both left and right downstream sensors, reinstall the relay. If the fuse blows, you have damaged/melted wiring. You'll have to lift the car to be able to see the entire wire run. You will have to trace it until you find the damage which will probably be wherever it is closest to the exhaust.

Lizzardking308
05-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Awesome, I'll have to resume next weekend, times run out on my spare time today. I'll pull the other sill off next weekend and try that. If I can isolate it to the sensors, am i best to replace both?

ACtechOPS
05-21-2017, 09:39 PM
I am pretty sure it is going to be melted/damaged O2 wiring. If it actually turns out to be a shorted sensor then yes, I would replace both. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.