PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure fault 2004 srt

frank
05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Does it make sense, or is it normal for my oil pressure to read "max...that is, 720kpa (104psi)?? With the key in the "on" position is reads half way. When i start the car, and its in neutral, it reads almost 700, and then driving it reads full 720. I checked the oil level and it reads perfect on the dipstick. Could i have a faulty guage, fuse, or is this normal. I have owned the vehicle since new and one would think that i would have noticed that it reads so high.....but age has got a better of my memory, and so has the 1960s. Any help is appreciated

ACtechOPS
05-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Yes, you seem to have an indication problem. With the key off and no power to gauge, needle will fall to the bottom "stop", slightly below the red "zero" mark. When you turn the key on, the needle will rise slightly off the stop and come to rest on the bottom red zero hash. When you start the engine, after a second or two the oil pressure should rise. My cold idle will be between 75 and 85psi. When it warms up it will idle around 55psi. Get on the gas and back up to 85psi. I realize you are talking kpa, but 720kpa is 104psi. The fact that the oil pressure reads half way (50psi) with the key on and the engine off means you have an indication problem. What would be the point of having an important gauge like oil pressure actually display satisfactory idle pressure without the engine even running? If you lost oil pressure, the gauge would still tell you everything was ok.

frank
05-19-2017, 07:28 PM
thanks for the reply. I have to assume its the guage then. Is there a way to trouble shoot? Maybe i will first try to replace the guage. The only electrical mod i did was put in an RB 1 head unit. Again thanks for taking the time to reply....and yes i guess i should have put it as a psi...post has been edit. My car is a Canadian car

ViperSRT
05-19-2017, 07:54 PM
I would start with the sending unit and not the gauge.

ACtechOPS
05-19-2017, 08:11 PM
I would be inclined to agree, especially since you cannot replace an individual gauge, rather the whole pack. Try this first:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS

To put the instrument cluster and gauge pack in
Self-Diagnostic Mode, press the trip reset button
8J - 2 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ZB
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (Continued)
down and then turn the ignition to the ON position
simultaneously, then release the button after two seconds.
The gauges will increment to selected stops and
all indicators will light, except for the turn signal
indicators. The engine ISO lamp will come on when
the ignition is turned ON and the engine is OFF.
Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual
if one or more indicators don’t light, or a gauge
does not appear to be functioning correctly.
NOTE: If any of the gauge pointers are stuck on the
wrong side of the pointer stop, perform the instrument
cluster self-diagnostic check (Refer to 8 -
ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - STANDARD
PROCEDURE - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS). This will
“sweep” all the pointers to the correct side of the
pointer stop.

frank
05-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys, VOA. I will give it a shot

viper04blk
05-21-2017, 12:49 AM
... time for me to look dumb....

we have a trip/reset button? Where is it?

ViperSRT
05-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Bottom of the speedo cluster. You have to hold it when on trip for a few seconds to clear it.