PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

ACRSNK
05-18-2017, 08:46 AM
How many do their own oil changes? If not all oil changes, did you do the first...did you send out a sample to Blackstone for an oil analysis?

I hate the thought of leaving my car with anyone, especially if its something I can easily handle myself. Thoughts, opinions, feedback, input?

Steve-Indy
05-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Me...yes...yes.

Depending on timing, weather, mood, etc....I often try to arrange it so that routine oil changes can be done on our Vipers when Tom Sessions is in town. Often times, that will go along with brake, clutch fluid changes as well as coolant change when necessary, lube job, and general inspection.

Main worry as I see things at "disinterested" dealerships is damage done getting Viper on lift...especially if it is lowered...MORE so if it is an ACR E "in full dress".

BJG32
05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
I do my own. Local Dodge dealer left me 3 qts short on my gen 3. I blew the engine 2 months later on my dime.

Oil changes are too easy and too critical not to do right. If you dont have a very trusted tech, do it yourself.

dewilmoth
05-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Always myself. Less hassle and I know it's done correctly and not getting molested.

ViperGeorge
05-18-2017, 09:52 AM
I take an SRT filter and my own oil to the local Grease Monkey. They change the oil for $36 when you bring your own stuff. I pull the car in from the exit - hood first so I don't scrape anything on the pit rails (my ACR has the diffuser blades on and is set at track height). They know me and always treat the car and me well. They won't even start the car or move it, they ask me to do that. They won't check air pressure or wash the windows unless I ask them to.
They do take a lot of pictures though. For $36 it is not worth doing myself.

By the way, they let the oil drain and remove the filter and then put in exactly 11 quarts and the oil level is spot on.

Stealth78
05-18-2017, 10:00 AM
I do my own. Local Dodge dealer left me 3 qts short on my gen 3. I blew the engine 2 months later on my dime.

Oil changes are too easy and too critical not to do right. If you dont have a very trusted tech, do it yourself.

You didn't check your oil level for 2 months???

ACRSNK
05-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Also, how many miles is everyone putting on before the first oil change? I'm thinking no more than 500, which is what I have done on every new car purchased.

dewilmoth
05-18-2017, 10:50 AM
I did my first at 500, then 3,000. I'll probably stick with a 1 year/3k mile interval from now on.

Martin
05-18-2017, 10:55 AM
I do my own - and fortunately I have curbside oil and filter recycling because one weekend of changing oil on all my cars and tractor is about ten gallons of oil...

On my Vipers, I do the first oil change at 100 miles and do a Blackstone. It's overkill, but I want to document the oil as early as possible. I also keep the factory oil filter wrapped in a plastic bag - that's over the top anal, but having all original factory parts is just something I do...

Next change is at 500 miles with another Blackstone analysis and comparison. From there, either at the end of the season or every 3000 miles, whichever comes first (unless tracking - then every 500 miles or so).

Purple Haze
05-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Not being an ace mechanic and not trusting any mechanic shop or dealer with my car a friend had a lift and works on high performance and collector cars. He helped me do the change. Very easy!!! Learned a lot just looking at the underside of a Viper too...Easy access to filter and drain port. 11 quarts back in and I was good to go. This was a Gen V with a bit less than 500 miles on it. Factory oil looked very clean and still golden. Anyway it's the only way to go and easy. Do it yourself!!!

7TH_SIGN
05-18-2017, 12:40 PM
I did the rear diff, trans, and engine oil multiple times. Very easy with these cars and best part of doing it your self is the guarantee the car will be taken care of. I was going to send a sample to the Blackstone but it sold before I could.

I like to get the stock stuff out asap. So my first change was done at 500 miles, then 1000 miles. After that it was every 3,000 miles.

BJG32
05-18-2017, 02:39 PM
You didn't check your oil level for 2 months???

Nope. Drove it maybe 4 times and 100 miles in between.

No I don't check it EVERY drive. Still don't.

ViperGeorge
05-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Also, how many miles is everyone putting on before the first oil change? I'm thinking no more than 500, which is what I have done on every new car purchased.

Did my first change at 500 miles exactly. Then 3000 miles after that. I do a Blackstone analysis for every oil change in my ACR.

ViperPete
05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Nope. Drove it maybe 4 times and 100 miles in between.

No I don't check it EVERY drive. Still don't.

Me either. I go months without checking. Not saying that I should or shouldn't check it more often but hey I have a 10 yr 100k warranty.

Vipes
05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm lucky to have a great Viper tech close for that but if I didn't I would do it myself. How do you document it though for warranty purposes if you do your own oil changes and later needed to prove it with a claim?

Martin
05-18-2017, 05:16 PM
I'm lucky to have a great Viper tech close for that but if I didn't I would do it myself. How do you document it though for warranty purposes if you do your own oil changes and later needed to prove it with a claim?

Keep a log book, and note the mileage, date, type of oil, and type of filter. Doesn't hurt to keep your receipts, but I've never had a problem with anyone asking for them.

dewilmoth
05-18-2017, 05:18 PM

Just log the date and mileage on Mopar Owner Connect. Dodge can't deny warranty for not using their service departments.

apeas2
05-18-2017, 05:48 PM
I do my own. Super simple.

ACR
05-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Own

kaamacat
05-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Always, all changes I do. Let drain for hours and, it always takes exactly the amount in the book. Then as others said, I head onto
UConnect and log all the information. Oil used, Filter is always the SRT I get from the dealer as-well-as a new drain plug.

BJG32
05-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Me either. I go months without checking. Not saying that I should or shouldn't check it more often but hey I have a 10 yr 100k warranty.

I dont trust the dip stick or oil burn off in my gen 5.. I change my oil every 1000 miles. Puts burn off and low oil concerns to rest. 11 fresh qts every 1000. New filter every 3000. Easy.

dmann
05-19-2017, 07:52 AM
I dont trust the dip stick or oil burn off in my gen 5.. I change my oil every 1000 miles. Puts burn off and low oil concerns to rest. 11 fresh qts every 1000. New filter every 3000. Easy.

I did mine first change at 500+ miles and i think your schedule is a great idea.

ViperGeorge
05-19-2017, 08:32 AM

If you are putting in 11 quarts every 1000 miles without changing the filter you would be over filling the car, wouldn't you? The 11 quart capacity includes the filter per the manual.

ForTehNguyen
05-19-2017, 09:04 AM
when i got the car with 3100 miles, oil was 2qt low. I filled it up, did a 500 mile road trip to Austin, checked the oil when I got back and it was still at the top of the hash, so didnt look like it burned any. Will probably change the oil around 6k. Existing oil seems to have been changed at least once (vague carfax report), was still pretty clear

swexlin
05-19-2017, 10:00 AM
when i got the car with 3100 miles, oil was 2qt low. I filled it up, did a 500 mile road trip to Austin, checked the oil when I got back and it was still at the top of the hash, so didnt look like it burned any. Will probably change the oil around 6k. Existing oil seems to have been changed at least once (vague carfax report), was still pretty clear

Where did you buy the car? If from a dealer, that oil should have been changed and full. If a private sale, question why oil was low.

Dr.Ron
05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Mine was changed when I bought it from Bill at Woodhouse at 1,450 miles.
I had the R28 & R29 recalls done and it was changed again then, at 3,100 miles. I just did my 1st change on it myself at 5,900 miles on my lift. It was a piece of cake! Easy access to the filter and the drain plug.

Ron

BJG32
05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
If you are putting in 11 quarts every 1000 miles without changing the filter you would be over filling the car, wouldn't you? The 11 quart capacity includes the filter per the manual.

Yes, but I pull the filter and reinstall. About half a quart drains once the filter is removed. If you leave your filter on 10.5 quarts will do.

ViperJon
05-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Yes, but I pull the filter and reinstall. About half a quart drains once the filter is removed. If you leave your filter on 10.5 quarts will do.

You reuse a $12.00 filter?

ForTehNguyen
05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Where did you buy the car? If from a dealer, that oil should have been changed and full. If a private sale, question why oil was low.

was from an exotic dealer, carfax indicated "vehicle serviced" at a dodge dealer around 1700 miles. But no details. Tried to contact that dealer to get information on that service, completely ignored. I bet they checked the oil when cold so it looked ok. As we all know thats not the case. When hot the oil was at the bottom of the hash, 2 quarts squared it away.

BJG32
05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
You reuse a $12.00 filter?

Yes i reinstall a filter that has 90% life left in it. Yes i know my car is going to blow up now.

LABrit
05-19-2017, 06:49 PM
I need to do mine actually - where's good and who's trusted in LA?

Snorman
05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
My car has ~2000 miles and has had 6 oil changes. VE changed it during the PDI (my request). I changed it at ~200 miles, then after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th track weekends.
Do them myself on the lift. It so easy no excuse for me not to do them.
S.

BlueAdder
05-19-2017, 07:56 PM
I normally do all my oil changes myself but for the Viper I have no lift and it's a pain to move the cars around so I just go to the dealership (I change the diff fluid at the same time).
Once I sell the Lotus, I'll get an ez-lift and use that because $450 every time I get an oil change is not reasonable.

Martin
05-19-2017, 08:01 PM
I normally do all my oil changes myself but for the Viper I have no lift and it's a pain to move the cars around so I just go to the dealership (I change the diff fluid at the same time).
Once I sell the Lotus, I'll get an ez-lift and use that because $450 every time I get an oil change is not reasonable.

Get a set of low profile Race Ramps from Amazon, and it's a breeze. I got the ones that separate once you drive up on them, so I can get underneath the car easily without having to dodge the ramps. If you have a driveway that tilts downward, just back the car up, and then drive onto the ramps to get the car level - works like a charm and pays for itself after a couple of fluid changes.

ACRSNK
05-19-2017, 09:56 PM
I do my own - and fortunately I have curbside oil and filter recycling because one weekend of changing oil on all my cars and tractor is about ten gallons of oil...

On my Vipers, I do the first oil change at 100 miles and do a Blackstone. It's overkill, but I want to document the oil as early as possible. I also keep the factory oil filter wrapped in a plastic bag - that's over the top anal, but having all original factory parts is just something I do...

Next change is at 500 miles with another Blackstone analysis and comparison. From there, either at the end of the season or every 3000 miles, whichever comes first (unless tracking - then every 500 miles or so).

Keeping the factory oil filter...now that's what I'm talking about!

Jdmuscle
05-20-2017, 04:35 AM
My first oil change was at 500, second one was when I did the R29 recall around 1300 miles and the third one was around 2100 when I went Heads/Cam.

Except for the first one all were done at Viper exchange. I don't think the car will get upgraded anymore so I'll be doing my own oil changes going forward. Unless 9.0 becomes a necessity... lol

ViperJon
05-20-2017, 05:00 AM

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/15309-Question-Anyone-have-the-QuickJack-lift/page2?highlight=Quickjack

Purple Haze
05-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Whew I thought I was the only "nut" here...sorry guys nothing personal...I kept the original filter too wrapped in a plastic bag-and a small bottle of the original oil... Wow I feel so much better! Thanks!!!

quickster2
05-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Whew I thought I was the only "nut" here...sorry guys nothing personal...I kept the original filter too wrapped in a plastic bag-and a small bottle of the original oil... Wow I feel so much better! Thanks!!!

It is actually the second factory filter on recent cars. It would be the filter Arrow installs after the hot test and when they top off the engine oil with Platinum Ultra. The "1st" filter gets cut apart and inspected.

ek1
05-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Between the nearest trusted shop being 65 miles away and having to change oil every 2 track days, I am considering learning how to change it myself.

Which video do you guys think is better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihJHtbO34Nk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hi0t38oXc

ForTehNguyen
05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
its no different than any other car. Only mistake the saabkyle video made was not draining the oil before taking the filter off, so it doesnt glug everywhere

ViperJon
05-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Between the nearest trusted shop being 65 miles away and having to change oil every 2 track days, I am considering learning how to change it myself.

Which video do you guys think is better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihJHtbO34Nk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hi0t38oXc

In the first video they only jack up the front of the car and then drain the oil with the car angled. That is wrong! Car should be at a minimum level and even better level and ever so slightly angled towards the drivers side, where the oil plug is. There is no way the are getting close to all the oil out with the car pitched backwards like that. But what can you expect from guys in flip flops doing auto work.

One Viper Bite
05-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I need to do mine actually - where's good and who's trusted in LA?

Go to Scott Robinson in Torrance and ask for John Prosk (SRT John) to work on your car. He's a 14 year Master / Viper Tech and one of my best firneds. He's the best! Tell them Brian sent you.

Stealth78
05-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Sounds like somebody else I know! Are you sure you guys aren't related??? ;)

ACRSNK
05-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Sounds like somebody else I know! Are you sure you guys aren't related??? ;)

Hahaha

Angleiron
05-25-2017, 06:28 AM

You pay how much for an oil change?????????????????????????????????????????