PDA

View Full Version : ACR Owners Stock Exhaust Tip Rotating Downward Burning Sill

Gary Javo
05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
I have been told that this is an issue that several people are experiencing. Has anyone here experienced this?

Scott_in_fl
05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
This has been a known issue across several generations (at least going as far back as Gen III).

The fix is to tack weld the tip so that it does not rotate.

Jack B
05-17-2017, 11:04 AM
This has been a known issue across several generations (at least going as far back as Gen III).

The fix is to tack weld the tip so that it does not rotate.

My Corsa mufflers have the tips tacked. I wonder if that is standard protocol. I did not notice it immediately because they still had a clamp which hid the welds. It was an automated stitch weld.

GTS21
05-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Is this an issue for non-ACRs as well? When my GTC comes in, is it worth having this done as a precaution before taking delivery?

Scott_in_fl
05-17-2017, 12:09 PM
^^^ Yes, and yes.

bluesrt
05-17-2017, 12:17 PM
yep I have tacked a few new acrs

Jack B
05-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Why would an acr differ from any other model.

Stealth
05-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Why would an acr differ from any other model.

I do not think so for the purposes of the rotating issue.

Also, I believe that the issue is evidenced by the tip rotating in the exhaust port, but the issue is actually the entire cat-back exhaust rotating in the exhaust clamp. Since my exhaust was tack welded, there have been no issues. Prior to this, we tried tightening the clamp 3 times (which requires disassembly of the rockers) and it never worked.

Snorman
05-17-2017, 08:38 PM
I do not think so for the purposes of the rotating issue.

Also, I believe that the issue is evidenced by the tip rotating in the exhaust port, but the issue is actually the entire cat-back exhaust rotating in the exhaust clamp. Since my exhaust was tack welded, there have been no issues. Prior to this, we tried tightening the clamp 3 times (which requires disassembly of the rockers) and it never worked.You can actually tighten the clamps by simply removing the rear wheelwell access panel, re-centering the tip and accessing the clamp through the small hole in the bottom of the sill.
But yeah, they have to be tacked or they'll continue to move on cars that are driven hard.
S.

Simms
05-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Definitely tack. I've tried every clamp combo possible, torqued, retorqued, even used an impact with no success. Was always fine on the street, but after one session on the track they always moved. Keep in mind I'm referring to an aftermarket exhaust.

ACRucrazy
05-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Tips for owning a Viper.
Remove the cats so they don't melt your paint.
Tack the exhaust after the J-Pipes so they don't slip and and dent your precious side sills.