PDA

View Full Version : Removing shifter knob??

dave502
01-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and I can't remove the shifter knob on my 01 rt/10 I have tried everything from turning,pulling,kicking and biting. I bought a black Hurst pistol grip to put on Any suggestions? Thanks

AZTVR
01-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Are you trying to separate the OEM knob from the shaft directly below it? No can do. The OEM knob is molded onto a chrome shaft that screws onto the shifter, To take the whole shaft with knob off, I think that there is a jamb nut also to be loosened first. You need to push the shifter boot down far enough to get a wrench on both the jamb nut and shift knob shaft flats and separate them before unscrewing the shift knob shaft. (My car came to me with an aftermarket shift knob, so I am not absolutely positive about the jamb nut, but it is mentioned elsewhere.

St.Char
01-26-2014, 09:44 PM
On my Gen 3 you have to use 2 wrenches. Loosen the nut on the bottom while holding the shaft of the knob with the other. Instead of turning left to loosen the bottom nut, you have to turn it right. Breaking the bottom nut loose took some torque, so be careful and don't hit yourself in the head.

Sybil TF
01-27-2014, 04:49 AM
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and I can't remove the shifter knob on my 01 rt/10 I have tried everything from turning,pulling,kicking and biting. I bought a black Hurst pistol grip to put on Any suggestions? Thanks

On my 96 GTS you push the boot down until you can slip a 17 mm open end wrench on the slot of the shaft and unscrew.

LifeIsGood
01-27-2014, 05:10 AM
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/kenandkristine/Viper%20Garage/DIY/Dash%20Removal/DiagramA-GENIIDashRemoval-RemoveShiftKnob.gif

dave502
01-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys....Hope it is as easy as it looks in the pic.Once I get the shifter rod out I thought I saw on a vendor site somewhere a couple different length rods you can put in which are threaded for knobs...I have to check around for them..

C.J
01-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys....Hope it is as easy as it looks in the pic.Once I get the shifter rod out I thought I saw on a vendor site somewhere a couple different length rods you can put in which are threaded for knobs...I have to check around for them..

Maybe ipsco.org? Mark makes a lot of Viper stuff. Very high quality.

LifeIsGood
01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Yep...call Mark Johnson at IPSCO (303 252-4481). He has a couple of sizes and they're very reasonably priced.

dave502
02-04-2014, 04:07 AM
Thanks everybody...ordered a 2 inch extension but didn't need it.Was able to push boot down enough to unscrew stock shifter shaft and screwed the pistol grip directly on to the Isolator.Feels alot better being low and shifts fine.

LifeIsGood
02-04-2014, 06:41 AM
That is definitely an interesting shift handle choice...first I've seen on a viper.

dave502
02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
YEA...I guess it's what you like...Iv'e Used the Hurst pistol grip on 4 different Vehicles and love it....On the Viper its level with the arm rest and makes shifting easier to me and you get a much better grip than a ball and your hand will never slip off....If you try one you will probably never go back to a ball. Heres a pick of one I had on my last Z-06