PDA

View Full Version : Door Sill Gaurd Screw Size Question

SOberman001
05-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Gents
I am not near my Viper but I recently replaced the aluminum door sill guards with CF guards. The silver OEM screws look out of place. Anyone know the exact size of those 6 screws so I can order black ones? I want to keep the silver ones with the OEM aluminum guards so I don't want to spray them black.

Thanks

bluesrt
05-15-2017, 12:42 PM
I don't know but, were they easy to get off, want to do the same

SOberman001
05-15-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't know but, were they easy to get off, want to do the same

You referring to the door sills? Yes, they unscrew and then you have to deal with the molding tape. I carefully pulled my up my putting my fingers under one edge and sliding the sills towards me (horizontally) to release the bond of the tape without bending the sill guard which could happen if you pull straight up. Pulling towards me (parallel to the ground) breaks the seal of the tape faster without to much pressure on the flat surface of the large aluminum piece. The second benefit to this technique is that you don't risk the edge opposite your hand digging into the paint as you pull up on one side.

If I were to do it again, I would take the car for a ride on a warm day (or let it idle for a bit) to heat up the sills and thereby making the tape separate easier. Or, use a heat gun just to warm the plate a tad but don't over do it. There was tape residue on the painted sill which I heated up, then rubbed off with my finger (balling it up) and then used Goof Off to get the final bits. All told, both sides done in <15mins. As with any adhesive, don't wax the naked sill before you put fresh tape on since that defeats the purpose.

I used 1/2" 3M molding tape I bought off amazon

BJG32
05-15-2017, 01:03 PM
I did not use mounting tape for my CF sills. You'll likely damage them when you remove....but yes removing the metal ones on a hot car is the best way to do it.

If you are worried about vibration or want the mounting tape just put 2 - 1 inch squares of it on the CF for easier removal later.

One Viper Bite
05-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Just take one of the screws to a hardware store and screw it into a hole that fits :)

SOberman001
05-15-2017, 01:11 PM
I did not use mounting tape for my CF sills. You'll likely damage them when you remove....but yes removing the metal ones on a hot car is the best way to do it.

If you are worried about vibration or want the mounting tape just put 2 - 1 inch squares of it on the CF for easier removal later.

He has good points about less tape. With the CF units, I would definitely have to heat up the sill before we pull them off so they don't crack. I used the same amount of tape as the OEM set up and didn't think about the change in material to CF. That said, I have no desire to ever pull them up but I will take care when I do.

Anyone know what size screw those are?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I am not near the car so I was hoping someone had the description.

Voice of Reason
05-15-2017, 01:33 PM
I don't know the size, but Dodge will gladly sell 6 of them to you for $11...each.

sambo32
05-15-2017, 02:25 PM
I removed mine with a hair dryer and fishing line, I did replace the silver screws with the oem black ones and they were expensive.

bluesrt
05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
thanks guys

Simms
05-16-2017, 02:02 PM
I got black screws from Lowes.

SOberman001
05-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Thanks Simms. A high value member of this forum is shipping me a few spares he has. Saves me the trip to lowes.

Vietnamvetguy
05-18-2017, 04:55 AM
Where did you purchase the CF sill guards?

Dfunk
05-18-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm tapping the holes to 5x.8mm and using black titanium dome head Allen bolts with a 16mm diameter head. Not cheap but will look great against the carbon fiber.