PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the gas cap assembly help

SOberman001
05-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Guys
I bought one of the painted gas caps assemblies to increase the bling factor on my Gen V and I have reached a point of frustration on the install. I have been able to remove 3 of 4 of the retain fasteners behind the assembly that keep the external parts attached to the internal plastic bezel. I cannot find any tool that effectively can get at the 3/8" nut that holds on the fourth fastener which is at the 10 o'clock position. That nut is opposite of the access area in the rear wheel well and I can't get to it with the smallest of sockets.

Also, does anyone know what I do when (if) I get that one off? Seems to me I have to pry off the rubber gasket/surround on the outside of the fill tube in order to pull out the OEM cap and surround?

If anyone has experience here, I sure could use it before I continue to throw tools around my garage.

Thanks

sadil
05-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Did you try a ratcheting box wrench? Those are pretty damn useful in tight spaces.

Also, have you tried accessing the area from the trunk by pulling the carpet back? I only did this when I needed to pop the gas cap open when the car was dead. All you have to do is peel the carpet back. Hope it works.

Below is some disassembly info found in the service manual.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3p9GKUeinriN1VGdTFtYy05ams

SOberman001
05-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Sadil, first, as a fellow Detroit Native, thanks for the response. Also, there is a hard plastic piece between the trunk and the cap assembly. Does that just pull away?

sadil
05-13-2017, 06:02 PM
No worries! If you can get a photo it would help, you can text me the photo at 2487588429

From looking at the diagram tho, I don't see any piece that just pulls off. But take a photo and I might be able to look it up for you! I will dig into the manual for more info!

ViperSmith
05-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Jack B on these forums did a write up on this I believe.

sadil
05-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Jack B on these forums did a write up on this I believe.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/7716-Removing-the-Fuel-Door

Jack B saves the world again. Here is his thread.

SOberman001
05-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks Gents. I will give it another go in the AM