PDA

View Full Version : MGW shifter

TexasTonka
01-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Had a MGW installed in my ACR. I really like the shorter shifts but the shifter does vibrate where the stock one did not. Not a huge vibration or one you can hear, but more like you iPhone set to vibrate multiplied by about 5. Uncomfortable to keep you hand on it to change the radio station while cruising type of vibration.

This is normal for the MGW? Does it remove a rubber bushing or mount that kept the OEM shifter from doing this?

swexlin
01-26-2014, 02:06 PM
I have an MGW on my 03 (was on when I purchased the car 4 years ago). It does not vibrate, so I'm thinking something may be amiss with yours,

pdub
01-26-2014, 02:37 PM
No vibration on mine.

Joel
01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
No vibration on mine either. Did they drop the transmission rear mount to put it in? Maybe that is where the problem is. If a rear mount bolt is loose, the transmission could vibrate.

TexasTonka
01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Okay I appreciate the input. I'll look into it further. I know they dropped the transmission a bit to install because they replaced the trans mount at the same time.

mjorgensen
01-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Okay I appreciate the input. I'll look into it further. I know they dropped the transmission a bit to install because they replaced the trans mount at the same time.

If you added a poly trans mount you will feel more vibration.

venomous08
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
If you added a poly trans mount you will feel more vibration.

+1 Also if you miss match the mounts, say Poly trans without the motor mounts I think you can run into some harmonics issues, right Mark??

mjorgensen
01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
+1 Also if you miss match the mounts, say Poly trans without the motor mounts I think you can run into some harmonics issues, right Mark??

You would for sure have a sharper vibration then if you have all 3 mounts the same.

No hemi
01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
I have a poly mount and MGW , it vibrates but not that much ( and i have poly engine mounts too, woodhouse ones)

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Did you also remove/replace the OE Black-shaft Isolator? [The rod with the cone-shaped weighted area?]

Poly-Mounts add vibrations....and removing / replacing that isolator with a shorter, unweighted one does, too.

FrgMstr
01-27-2014, 01:54 PM
You would for sure have a sharper vibration then if you have all 3 mounts the same.

I generally do not drive my car when it is cold out here in Texas, which is around 40-50F as for what we call cold. But the vibration is a lot more noticeable when those mounts are cold. Thought I had a problem at first.

TexasTonka
01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally I had Tomball install the MGW and Woodhouse engine and trans poly mounts. Shifter had a loud vibration noise that Mark helped me pinpoint as a nylock nut that was not tightened when they installed it (lock washer was rattling in place). So I took it back to have that done as I don't have access to a lift locally. I personally liked the poly bushings and did not notice any increased NVH at all other than a bit in the dead pedal but the better half said she felt a lot of NVH on the passenger side and asked me to swap back out to OEM when we got the MGW tightened up.
SO back to Tomball, got the MGW tightened up and had the OEM mounts thrown back in. Now i get the buzzing type vibration from the MGW. It is quiet but vibrates just like an iPhone on vibrate but strong enough to be loud if your watch or ring comes in contact with the top of the shifter.

Really would like to avoid another 300 mile round trip to Tomball if it is something I can take care of in the driveway.

mjorgensen
01-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Does the vibration change if you depress the clutch? The GenIV transmission is pretty noisy on it's own and that can also be what is being transmitted. If there is something wrong or going wrong it could be amplified by the lack of the rubber in the stock shifter...

TexasTonka
01-29-2014, 06:21 AM
I'm out of state now but when I get back I'll try that out Mark. Honestly I don't recall if the vibration stopped with clutch in or in neutral. I'll get back to you on that later this week.

TexasTonka
02-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Does the vibration change if you depress the clutch? The GenIV transmission is pretty noisy on it's own and that can also be what is being transmitted. If there is something wrong or going wrong it could be amplified by the lack of the rubber in the stock shifter...

Just got it out this afternoon. Vibration stays constant, in gear, clutch in, idle at a stop light. Vibration is not AS intense as it was initially but still quite a bit compared to stock.

The Woodhouse mounts were taken out (had all three) so I am running stock mounts.

LifeIsGood
02-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Did you take Jon's advice and try putting the isolator back on? It may help to see if it stops the vibration. I have an IPSCO Short Throw Shifter and it doesn't vibrate. I use Mark's 1" lowering kit instead of the OE isolator.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/kenandkristine/Viper/Viper%20Club%20DIY/Short%20Throw%20Shifter/OEShifterIsolator.png

Herrsss
02-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Had a MGW installed in my ACR. I really like the shorter shifts but the shifter does vibrate where the stock one did not. Not a huge vibration or one you can hear, but more like you iPhone set to vibrate multiplied by about 5. Uncomfortable to keep you hand on it to change the radio station while cruising type of vibration.

This is normal for the MGW? Does it remove a rubber bushing or mount that kept the OEM shifter from doing this?

Mine doesn't vibrate but check with MGW on it. My first one was not manufactured properly and had to be sent back. 2nd one is fine with the poly tran mount only.

CaptainDavid
02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I've had MGW shifter on two Vipers now, never a vibration.....as SWEXLIN suggest, somin is amiss.