PDA

View Full Version : Is 0w 40 Euro blend ok

Martin
05-02-2017, 09:35 PM
The title probably stripped out the complex characters of this post, but I figured I'd post anyway. My local WalMart has the Euro Blend oil available (as well as tons of ammo - woo hoo!), and I'm wondering what the heck the difference is between it and the US blend.... I know if Tom geek would respond, he'd say - but I haven't heard from him in ages.

So, I just bought a few gallons of the Euro spec 0w/40 stuff on sale. What's the pros and cons of using it? I normally just go with Mobil 1 oil, but since FCE sold their souls to Pennzoil, I'm curious if my engine is going to explode by using a more civilized blend (that's words from people I work with).

7TH_SIGN
05-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Mobil 1 0w-40 is what I used in mine since it's first oil change at 500 miles. The car now has 10,000 miles with no issues.

01sapphirebob
05-03-2017, 06:54 AM
The title probably stripped out the complex characters of this post, but I figured I'd post anyway. My local WalMart has the Euro Blend oil available (as well as tons of ammo - woo hoo!), and I'm wondering what the heck the difference is between it and the US blend.... I know if Tom geek would respond, he'd say - but I haven't heard from him in ages.

So, I just bought a few gallons of the Euro spec 0w/40 stuff on sale. What's the pros and cons of using it? I normally just go with Mobil 1 oil, but since FCE sold their souls to Pennzoil, I'm curious if my engine is going to explode by using a more civilized blend (that's words from people I work with).

The "euro blend" is just the standard 0W 40. There is no "american" blend. You'll be fine with using that. It was the facory fill since '06 I believe.

Purple Haze
05-03-2017, 08:36 AM
I wasn't sure either on the European blend so ordered mine online via Amazon got a great deal...

bluesrt
05-03-2017, 08:38 AM
just marketing bullshit/confusing crap the world is made up of bullshit,on top of bullshit

Steve-Indy
05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
"blend" has usually meant a mix of non-synthetic with synthetic base stocks. In my opinion, this is an unfortunate choice of words by the wizards at Pennzoil marketing.

ViperJon
05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Supposed to convey the impression of a higher quality oil blend.....you know because Euro cars are all exotics :)

Martin
05-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Hahaha - good answers :) I figured the Euro stuff has some additional additives that don't pass muster in the US because of the cats. WalMart has it on sale for cheap though - $22 for a five quart jug, so I bought a bunch.

After break-in, I've always run Red Line 10w40 in these cars. Not sure I'll do that with this one, but that oil has never let me down.

Steve-Indy
05-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Martin, if is says "Full Synthetic" you should be fine. If not, keep searching. Pennzoil has changed their packaging and labeling on the 0W-40 several times in the last couple of years.

swexlin
05-03-2017, 12:49 PM
I just bought 2 qts (I keep in the car) of the Pennzoil "Euro" 0W-40 last week, and the packaging does indeed say "Full Synthetic".

AZTVR
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
I think that the "Euro-blend" is marketing speak for the fact that it has higher levels of ZDDP, the lubrication additive, that was reduced in the US to help meet the catalytic converter 100,000 life requirements. At least that is what I remember reading.

The Mobil 1 0W-40 is what most people use on the Gen I-IV since it came on the market and was the factory recommended fluid on the later Gens.

mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf (https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf)

Bill Pemberton
05-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Talked to the Shell/Pennzoil Rep when they introduced the new formulation for the Viper ( since Shell did not have a 0-40w) , and he was quite admirable . Just wanted to explain Shell's unique process of making the synthetic out of Natural Gas and one did not have to be a Physics Major to realize it would likely be the cleanest Synthetic ever devised. He had nothing to say but good things about Mobil 1 , and having run that for years , myself , I can not see any reason you can't use either, regardless that FCA now has a contract with Shell. Considering the " Last Viper " commercial done by them , pretty cool buy in by them in my estimation.

Just corporate sponsorship, but was impressed Shell/Pennzoil got together with SRT Engineers and formulated the 0-40w for the Viper - good PR on their part to make the requested viscosity that Engineering wanted. I know the same guys worked well with Mobil 1 for many , many years, so I kind of feel we as Viper owners have had some pretty good partners ( with both companies). considering how few vehicles were built.

I seem to remember our old buddy Tom F&L&G stating that Euroblend Mobil 1 was the way to go back then --- I would sure not hesitate getting any.

Geez, you would think after all these years I could just write a short sentence instead of a small novel, ha,ha.

swexlin
05-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Thank you Bill, appreciate the input!

sadil
05-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Talked to the Shell/Pennzoil Rep when they introduced the new formulation for the Viper ( since Shell did not have a 0-40w) , and he was quite admirable . Just wanted to explain Shell's unique process of making the synthetic out of Natural Gas and one did not have to be a Physics Major to realize it would likely be the cleanest Synthetic ever devised. He had nothing to say but good things about Mobil 1 , and having run that for years , myself , I can not see any reason you can't use either, regardless that FCA now has a contract with Shell. Considering the " Last Viper " commercial done by them , pretty cool buy in by them in my estimation.

Just corporate sponsorship, but was impressed Shell/Pennzoil got together with SRT Engineers and formulated the 0-40w for the Viper - good PR on their part to make the requested viscosity that Engineering wanted. I know the same guys worked well with Mobil 1 for many , many years, so I kind of feel we as Viper owners have had some pretty good partners ( with both companies). considering how few vehicles were built.

I seem to remember our old buddy Tom F&L&G stating that Euroblend Mobil 1 was the way to go back then --- I would sure not hesitate getting any.

Geez, you would think after all these years I could just write a short sentence instead of a small novel, ha,ha.

Thats why we love you Bill. You and your stories are worth the read. Thanks for the insight.

Bill Pemberton
05-04-2017, 06:40 AM
It is bad enough I talk way too much , I have to carry it over where I type too much also, ha. Always try to help , though like everyone, I sometimes am biased towards certain items , hence not always correct. A lot of folks contribute here and it does help one get a more well rounded concept of what may work best for their situation.

Whitemamba
05-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Bill, I can say that I have always admired your willingness to help any way that you can. You helped me out a long time ago, or so it seems anyways, with a question about the oil filters for the Gen IVs. Since that time, I have seen you help others many many times. Thanks for always being there for us.

Bill Pemberton
05-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Thanks White Mamba , appreciate your note!

Martin
05-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Thanks Bill - you're a fountain of knowledge and help around here and it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

BlueAdder
05-05-2017, 06:35 PM
For what it's worth, in my Lotus I usually use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 (for diesel trucks because it has more additives than for cars).
Neither ever gave me any sort of troubles. I haven't done my own oil change because I still don't have a lift and I still don't have the space in my garage but once I can get to it, I'll probably go with Mobil 1.
As long as you use the proper weight, the brand doesn't matter all that much.