PDA

View Full Version : 2003 CEL Help P0121

rboydston
04-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Thanks in advance for reading and any input. Last weekend when I took my car out it ran fine for about 5 minutes then it was all downhill from there. The CEL light came on and when I would hit the gas it would try to accelerate then bog down, then it would take off. It was also running very rich. When I would come to a stop light it would drop down below 500RPMs and acted like it wanted to stall, although it never did. When I got back to the garage I pulled the codes and got P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit. I replaced the sensor that day, but it didn't change anything. The car is bone stock. Any thoughts?

doncmleon
04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks in advance for reading and any input. Last weekend when I took my car out it ran fine for about 5 minutes then it was all downhill from there. The CEL light came on and when I would hit the gas it would try to accelerate then bog down, then it would take off. It was also running very rich. When I would come to a stop light it would drop down below 500RPMs and acted like it wanted to stall, although it never did. When I got back to the garage I pulled the codes and got P0121 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit. I replaced the sensor that day, but it didn't change anything. The car is bone stock. Any thoughts?

Did you check the harness itself?

I'd start there..

also make sure that there isnt any crud inside the connector/assembly. I know you bought a new one, you just may want to make sure it has a good enough connection.

doncmleon
04-28-2017, 08:18 PM

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0121

TPS has intermittent open or short internally
Harness is rubbing and causing an open or short in the wiring
Bad connection at the TPS
Bad PCM (less likely)
Water or corrosion in connector or sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0121
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

rboydston
04-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Now that I think about it, it started acting up shortly after I washed it. Something may have gotten wet. This could turn into a nightmare.

doncmleon
04-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Now that I think about it, it started acting up shortly after I washed it. Something may have gotten wet. This could turn into a nightmare.

CRAP.... take it apart and let it dry. .. start there 1st..and pray lol

rboydston
04-28-2017, 08:39 PM
CRAP.... take it apart and let it dry. .. start there 1st..and pray lol

It was apart for almost 2 days before I put the new one on.

Hrysler
04-28-2017, 08:46 PM
I heard somewhere that you should cover the engine where the vents are with a towel when washing the hood. Seems like it might be a good idea. Hope you figure it out.

Special Ed
04-28-2017, 10:01 PM
I heard somewhere that you should cover the engine where the vents are with a towel when washing the hood. Seems like it might be a good idea. Hope you figure it out.

Yes because the car was designed to never be driven in wet weather! So cover those vents. Really??

Hrysler
04-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Yes because the car was designed to never be driven in wet weather! So cover those vents. Really??

When you're driving how much water is really going in the vents? Like driving with the top down when raining... Really? Glad you have so much knowledge! Move on

Special Ed
04-29-2017, 08:23 PM
When you're driving how much water is really going in the vents? Like driving with the top down when raining... Really? Glad you have so much knowledge! Move on

I heard somewhere I that you are clueless and now I'm moving on.

Hrysler
04-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Wow....you definitely have the perfect name. It fits.

Hrysler
04-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Sorry, hope your not being serious. I'll take that, I might be clueless. Thanks bud! Have a good one.

St.Char
04-29-2017, 10:13 PM
On the Gen 3 you should place a towel under the right heat extractors of the hood because if enough water gets through them it will make it's way to the blower motor and start rusting out bearings. There is a thread on this issue if you do a search. Just replaced mine due to this reason.

Hrysler
04-30-2017, 12:02 AM
On the Gen 3 you should place a towel under the right heat extractors of the hood because if enough water gets through them it will make it's way to the blower motor and start rusting out bearings. There is a thread on this issue if you do a search. Just replaced mine due to this reason.

Thank you St.Char!