PDA

View Full Version : lightweight flywheel for Gen V

Eugene Lee
04-28-2017, 12:59 AM
HI Guys,

is there anyone who has done a lightweight flywheel upgrade on a gen V ACR-E? I'm curious , I think it would be a nice upgrade

GTSilver
04-28-2017, 01:35 AM
I looked into it as it would have great benefits on a road course, especially with either Nth Moto carbon clutch or Tilton carbon clutch. Although both are substantially lighter than OEM but still on the heavy side compared to what is considered a lwfw and clutch. I think both were in the 36-39 lbs range compared to OEM of 50+. I ran Tilton previously and asked them directly for their either 9 or 11 lbs flywheel which will get total clutch and flywheel weight to around 18 lbs which is another 20lbs to what the aftermarket is offering !! However I was told that it will cause issues in terms of misfires and has to be tuned accordingly. For guys like me running the Arrow PCM it isn't possible however maybe with either HPtuners or a standalone it could be done.

Hopefully there is a more cost effective way for guys running Arrow or OEM PCM to take advantage of the potential less rotating mass.

Yousif

Jack B
04-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Are you sure misfire detection is not turned off with the Arrow pcm . The Stage 2 does have is turned off.

I looked into it as it would have great benefits on a road course, especially with either Nth Moto carbon clutch or Tilton carbon clutch. Although both are substantially lighter than OEM but still on the heavy side compared to what is considered a lwfw and clutch. I think both were in the 36-39 lbs range compared to OEM of 50+. I ran Tilton previously and asked them directly for their either 9 or 11 lbs flywheel which will get total clutch and flywheel weight to around 18 lbs which is another 20lbs to what the aftermarket is offering !! However I was told that it will cause issues in terms of misfires and has to be tuned accordingly. For guys like me running the Arrow PCM it isn't possible however maybe with either HPtuners or a standalone it could be done.

Hopefully there is a more cost effective way for guys running Arrow or OEM PCM to take advantage of the potential less rotating mass.

Yousif

GTSilver
04-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Are you sure misfire detection is not turned off with the Arrow pcm . The Stage 2 does have is turned off.

I already have the arrow stage 2 and thats what I was told back then from Arrow late 2015. I'll have to check again as I will need a clutch as I'm going with the 9.0 just waiting for reviews from owners after they get them if I should go that route or not.

Jack B
04-28-2017, 04:43 PM
It is definitely turned off on the stage 2. Another interesting feature is that the fuel trims are also turned off.

I already have the arrow stage 2 and thats what I was told back then from Arrow late 2015. I'll have to check again as I will need a clutch as I'm going with the 9.0 just waiting for reviews from owners after they get them if I should go that route or not.

Eugene Lee
04-30-2017, 10:15 PM

Yousif

So I guess what is offered now would be more like a straight bolt in lwfw upgrade?

Jack B
04-30-2017, 11:04 PM
The Nth Moto comes with its own flywheel so it is a direct bolt-in. They also use a shim on the oem slave cylinder.

So I guess what is offered now would be more like a straight bolt in lwfw upgrade?

DZnutz
05-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Why would you want a lighter flywheel? The Gen V already has a "light" flywheel when compared to previous gens and, my understanding is, that is why our Gen V's are so hard to launch, very little rotating mass to get the car moving

Vipes
05-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Maybe he wants chatter at idle...

GTSilver
05-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Why would you want a lighter flywheel? The Gen V already has a "light" flywheel when compared to previous gens and, my understanding is, that is why our Gen V's are so hard to launch, very little rotating mass to get the car moving

For drag racing it might not be beneficial but for a road course its great. Although it may be lighter than previous gens its no where near light to the industry compared to other cars. A lighter flywheel clutch package makes the engine more responsive and much way better for heal and toe downshifts. Some tend to chatter at idle yes but thats a sacrifice anyone into road course won't mind for the benefits.

Jack B
05-01-2017, 12:37 PM
At close to 50 lbs, the assembly is a bit heavy

DZnutz
05-01-2017, 05:34 PM
For drag racing it might not be beneficial but for a road course its great. Although it may be lighter than previous gens its no where near light to the industry compared to other cars. A lighter flywheel clutch package makes the engine more responsive and much way better for heal and toe downshifts. Some tend to chatter at idle yes but thats a sacrifice anyone into road course won't mind for the benefits.

what other cars have 8.4 litre motors? the flywheel weight should be proportional to the mass of the rotating assembly

Eugene Lee
05-01-2017, 07:06 PM

thanks! that is exactly why I'm looking into this

Arizona Vipers
05-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Have you road raced your gen 5 with this clutch/flywheel setup? I would be interested myself too for my track car, but need to hear from others that have extensive track use with it and like it.
Thanks!

GTSilver
05-01-2017, 10:25 PM
what other cars have 8.4 litre motors? the flywheel weight should be proportional to the mass of the rotating assembly

Tilton carbon clutch with lightweight flywheel is less 20lbs for a LS engine which goes up to 8.0l, comp coupes had them as well which is 8.3l

GTSilver
05-01-2017, 10:27 PM
thanks! that is exactly why I'm looking into this

Please share any info you gather as i'm still asking around.

GTSilver
05-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Have you road raced your gen 5 with this clutch/flywheel setup? I would be interested myself too for my track car, but need to hear from others that have extensive track use with it and like it.
Thanks!

No not yet as I'm still contemplating the idea of shipping my car to the US as there isn't any professional workshops to perform what I would like to add to the car as in dry sump, trans and diff cooler for the track and also waiting for people to get their hands on the 9.0l kit from arrow and hear their reviews if I should go that route or not.

DZnutz
05-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Tilton carbon clutch with lightweight flywheel is less 20lbs for a LS engine which goes up to 8.0l, comp coupes had them as well which is 8.3l

It came like that from the factory... I have never heard of an 8.0L or 8.3L factory LS motor. Correct me if I am wrong, unless you are referring to a modified aftermarket engine.

GTSilver
05-01-2017, 10:31 PM
It came like that from the factory... I have never heard of an 8.0L or 8.3L factory LS motor. Correct me if I am wrong, unless you are referring to a modified aftermarket engine.

No I was referring to aftermarket offerings for both the modified engines and aftermarket clutch flywheel packages.

Jack B
05-01-2017, 11:28 PM
I do not believe that clutch is streetable?

DZnutz
05-02-2017, 12:01 AM
No I was referring to aftermarket offerings for both the modified engines and aftermarket clutch flywheel packages.

bad idea all the way around

Arizona Vipers
05-02-2017, 12:10 AM

What was the weight of the flywheel in the Comp Coupe's? Does anyone know?

Eugene Lee
05-02-2017, 12:33 AM
Please share any info you gather as i'm still asking around.

will do!