PDA

View Full Version : Is it finally driving season

BrianACR
04-27-2017, 05:10 PM
I hope this winter is finally done!!
Gonna get the Viper out on Saturday I'm thinkin. Take my 9 year old to a friends bday party and then home for an oil change.
Anyone do the rear diff on their own? What tools etc do I need to do it? If I use that royal purple with the friction modifier in it, do I not need to add the mopar stuff to it?

viper04blk
04-28-2017, 11:43 PM
I aint taking mine out till mid may. The cold temperatures dont scare me, the gravel does. City of edmonton isnt doing the street cleaning on the north side till may7.

As for the rear diff. I have a gen3 and I replaced my own fluid. I sucked the fluid out of the corners etc with a syringe/tubing from princess auto. And used another syringe to refill. Hardest part was getting the car level. I dont recall what tools I needed exactly. I think it was a metric align key.

viper04blk
04-28-2017, 11:45 PM
gen 3 also needed a bottle of "friction modifer"

If i was going to do it again, i would bring my fluids to mr.lube and pay them 35 bucks to avoid the hassle.

Turk
04-29-2017, 09:03 AM
When I did my Diff I used Motul and used the Mopar friction modifier. I was told not to trust the oils with modifier already in them. With the modifier I was told to only put it in if your having issues. I think it was because when you drain the oil not all of the original modifier will drain out, and you don't want too much modifier in there.

Redx
04-29-2017, 11:49 AM
gen 3 also needed a bottle of "friction modifer"

If i was going to do it again, i would bring my fluids to mr.lube and pay them 35 bucks to avoid the hassle.

I wouldn't trust them to pull the skidplate, and would be well more than $35 for them to do it!

viper04blk
04-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Pardon me, I would take off the skid plate myself.

I had them replace my tranny fluid after I removed my skid plate for my diff fluid. I brought in the tranny fluid and they charged me 45 bucks for the labour. I guess I assumed a diff would be cheaper as it would be alot quicker drain-time then a tranny.

Redx
04-29-2017, 07:57 PM
You did the hardest part, go to pa and buy a $10 pump and do it yourself. There is more skill required to pull the plate than it is to change the fluid.

donk_316
04-29-2017, 08:20 PM
I got mine out today. Main roads are pretty clean.

Redx
04-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Just torquing the last caliper up and stripped the dam thread out, i can never win! lol. hopefully be rolling next week sometime after i helicoil it.

darbgnik
05-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Just torquing the last caliper up and stripped the dam thread out, i can never win! lol. hopefully be rolling next week sometime after i helicoil it.

That sucks! Those aluminum knuckles make me cringe....

Just did my diff fluid on my Gen 5 today, was easy enough with no pump, just wiggling the bottle into position, and squeezing it into the fill hole. The Mopar branded Castrol Syntrax is 68 bucks retail a quart, pretty pricey...... But the factory fill, with 13000 kms on the car, with lots of those being roadcourse miles wasn't black, so it's pretty good stuff.

Do the Gen 1 and 2s have drain plugs in the bottom of the diff? I know my old Gen 3 had them.

BrianACR
05-02-2017, 01:13 PM
No drain plug on the Gen2's. And I don't feel like drilling a hole in the bottom of my diff to put one in either :p
Might hafta look into getting a pump and doing it myself. I'll probably just go to Dodge and get the oil and what not there.

I had my car out on the weekend. Roads were mostly clean. It was great to finally get out again!

Redx
05-06-2017, 01:00 PM
No drain plug on the Gen2's. And I don't feel like drilling a hole in the bottom of my diff to put one in either :p
Might hafta look into getting a pump and doing it myself. I'll probably just go to Dodge and get the oil and what not there.

I had my car out on the weekend. Roads were mostly clean. It was great to finally get out again!

Hey Brian we can do it at my place if you want, I have a hoist and the tools. My car should be rolling anyday now when my wheels are done.

viper04blk
05-06-2017, 10:48 PM
sell me your old wheels

canadian viper
05-07-2017, 09:45 AM
sell me your old wheels

what kind of wheels are you looking for? i have 2 sets of side winder 2s i may sell. 1set of the hyper black , and 1set of the satin black. all are brand new in boxes. pm me if interested

BrianACR
05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Hey Brian we can do it at my place if you want, I have a hoist and the tools. My car should be rolling anyday now when my wheels are done.

Sent you PM

Bill Pemberton
05-08-2017, 05:25 PM
We tapped and drilled a ton of Gen II diffs so they would be easier to drain. Hence a lot of folks with our cars thought they were standard. They weren't but they sure made life easier, ha,ha.

BrianACR
05-09-2017, 01:02 PM
We tapped and drilled a ton of Gen II diffs so they would be easier to drain. Hence a lot of folks with our cars thought they were standard. They weren't but they sure made life easier, ha,ha.

What size hole did you drill and where exactly on the diff can you put it? What do you use for a plug? Maybe I will look into this option for future changes. It definitely would make things easier....

Bill Pemberton
05-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Check with Jorgensen , as I know we did it on both my Gen IIs, but frankly it was so long ago I have not a clue.

Mark.Jorgensen@woodhouse.com
1-800-889-1893