PDA

View Full Version : Track day yesterday ready to spend money today

13COBRA
04-21-2017, 06:43 AM
I went to my first track event yesterday at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS and had a complete blast! Got to meet a bunch of cool people (sadly, out of the 85 cars, I was the only Viper)! I got bit by the track bug though, and would like to plan out more, but I've decided to get some track dedicated wheels/tires.

I'm going to order some Forgestar F14s in the near future purely for track purpose. I was planning on going 18/19 again, but I think instead I'm going to go 19x11 and 19x13 and run Hoosier R7's all the way around. Planning on 345/30 and 315/30.

My questions:

1.) I assume since the Gen V ACR runs 19's all the way around, my setup would be fine, right?

2.) Can you fit a 325/30 on a 19x11 wheel without too much sidewall bulge? Would I benefit from the extra size?

3.) Would the Hoosiers be a good option? I've read that either them or the Michelins would be a good choice.

4.) I'm not a professional driver by any means, but I ran times very consistent to the top of the class in the intermediate session; would the Toyo R888R's suit my needs? Are the slicks overkill?

Thanks! I'll post a few pictures up when I get around to it this morning.

venomous08
04-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Why are you wanting to run 19's? Might want to do some checking on when you run a 19 front. Michelins you are going to have to go to an 18" front. Also 19" fronts are going to throw you into a tall sidewall which will affect your rake in the car.

nrs1
04-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Check your desired tire diameter availability for the tires you want, to see what size wheels will work the best. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s come in limited sizes and I believe if you want a 345 rear, you will have to use a 20" wheel (and limit other tire choices). If you were thinking of any other Michelin than you're comparing apples and oranges to the Hoosier R7s. The R7s are race compound tires which compare to the Pilot Sport cup 2s and the R888s. The R7s will be the stickiest, but will also wear out the fastest. The chosen tires/ desired overall diameter will dictate your wheel size.

13COBRA
04-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Why are you wanting to run 19's? Might want to do some checking on when you run a 19 front. Michelins you are going to have to go to an 18" front. Also 19" fronts are going to throw you into a tall sidewall which will affect your rake in the car.

I guess I could stick with the 18/19's. I guess I just figured if the 19's all around were good enough for the Gen V ACR, it was good enough for me.

So maybe a 18/19 then. How big of a tire can fit on the 18x11?

Check your desired tire diameter availability for the tires you want, to see what size wheels will work the best. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s come in limited sizes and I believe if you want a 345 rear, you will have to use a 20" wheel (and limit other tire choices). If you were thinking of any other Michelin than you're comparing apples and oranges to the Hoosier R7s. The R7s are race compound tires which compare to the Pilot Sport cup 2s and the R888s. The R7s will be the stickiest, but will also wear out the fastest. The chosen tires/ desired overall diameter will dictate your wheel size.

Yeah, I know the R7s are a race compound. I'd only be using them on the track. I may be better off with the R888R's.

Back In Black
04-24-2017, 03:18 PM
How big of a tire can fit on the 18x11?

315/30 in A7 or R7 and 320/650 in a full slick. I've never needed anything larger than that.

str5010
04-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Glad you had a blast at the first event and also got bit by the bug! Sizing based on the gen V ACR isn't going to work out too well for you. As others have said, tire availability for the given purpose is going to be the proper driver here. You would have even better selection available going with 18s all around, especially in the world of slicks if you choose to go that route. Reduced weight is a bonus and there are all sorts of other considerations, but they are outside the scope of someone just getting their feet wet.

I also would think more experienced track pilots would suggest learning on a more predictable street based tire first, but I'm only relaying what I've heard. I personally do not have experience on the latest offerings in slicks and know if they fall off a cliff at their extremely high limit compared to a more progressive street tire. Just something to consider.

RedTanRT/10
04-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Cobra, the set up you want is 18's all around. 18 X 11, 18 X 13. That's what the vast majority of G 3 & 4 owners track with
You will need to buy and install an e-brake relocation kit, $100

Forgeline are the best track wheels, OZ's are good and reasonably priced. You might also find a good used set of SSR's (no longer available new). Look around, usually you can find a good used set of one of these brands

For tires, Hoosiers are really good. Tires like the Michelin slicks are fast but performance falls off quickly and they are costly

For sizes, 315's or 295's up front. 345's in the rear

Fursty
04-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Cobra, if you are looking for another event, we still have a few spots left at The Viper Rendezvous track weekend in Hastings, Nebraska. June 9-11

It will be all Vipers at this weekend. We are closing registration at 60 with jus a few spots left.

check it out....http://www.viperrendezvous.com

13COBRA
04-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Cobra, the set up you want is 18's all around. 18 X 11, 18 X 13. That's what the vast majority of G 3 & 4 owners track with
You will need to buy and install an e-brake relocation kit, $100

Forgeline are the best track wheels, OZ's are good and reasonably priced. You might also find a good used set of SSR's (no longer available new). Look around, usually you can find a good used set of one of these brands

For tires, Hoosiers are really good. Tires like the Michelin slicks are fast but performance falls off quickly and they are costly

For sizes, 315's or 295's up front. 345's in the rear

I thought about going 18's, but decided to keep the staggered setup.

Also, I decided to go with the R888R's for time being, and once I really start hitting the tracks quite a bit more often, I plan on running Hoosiers.

Cobra, if you are looking for another event, we still have a few spots left at The Viper Rendezvous track weekend in Hastings, Nebraska. June 9-11

It will be all Vipers at this weekend. We are closing registration at 60 with jus a few spots left.

check it out....http://www.viperrendezvous.com

PM'd you back.

Racingswh
04-28-2017, 06:38 PM
I thought about going 18's, but decided to keep the staggered setup.

Also, I decided to go with the R888R's for time being, and once I really start hitting the tracks quite a bit more often, I plan on running Hoosiers.

PM'd you back.

I have 2 18" OZ fronts in silver if you are interested. Rears are available at Tire Rack. Looking for $250 each + shipping.

13COBRA
04-28-2017, 07:22 PM
I have 2 18" OZ fronts in silver if you are interested. Rears are available at Tire Rack. Looking for $250 each + shipping.

I'm sorry, I already have the F14's in; or I would have been interested.

Thanks for the offer though.

Racingswh
04-29-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry, I already have the F14's in; or I would have been interested.

Thanks for the offer though.

No problem. Brilliant cars! Enjoy it!!