PDA

View Full Version : Burnt O2 sensor wires led to PCM meltdown

USCDOC
04-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Anyone else experience this? Took the car in to Red Bluff Dodge in Nor-Cal and they found burnt O2 sensor wires.They told me the problem is fixed and to come pick up the car. After starting the car and driving a few feet, a different code came on. So I turned around and took the car back. They offered me a Hell Cat as a rental b/c they had 7 on the lot, but none had a proper gear box!!!, so I declined. They called me the next day and told me that the PCM was fried from the short. PCM on order. Thanks to Mark Jorgenson for helping them figure out the problem here on the west coast!

Arizona Vipers
04-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Do you remember what the code was? And that was very cool of Mark to help out!

stradman
04-21-2017, 02:21 AM
what symptoms did you have as a result of the melted o2 wires?

USCDOC
04-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Don't recall the code... Thinking it was P0154? It wasn't detecting the O2 sensor anymore... The car was still running perfectly, but didn't wanna drive it like that forever. They replace the PCM and problem still existed... so they are replacing the O2 sensors again. They brought me down a 2016 Plum crazy Hellcat to use for a week... wife was laughing hard b/c of the plum color.... fun car, but not as crazy as I expected for a 700hp car.... guess I'm just spoiled by the Viper

zee
04-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Don't recall the code... Thinking it was P0154? It wasn't detecting the O2 sensor anymore... The car was still running perfectly, but didn't wanna drive it like that forever. They replace the PCM and problem still existed... so they are replacing the O2 sensors again. They brought me down a 2016 Plum crazy Hellcat to use for a week... wife was laughing hard b/c of the plum color.... fun car, but not as crazy as I expected for a 700hp car.... guess I'm just spoiled by the Viper

Did they give you any crap with your exhaust mod for warranty? Sounds like they didn't.

Viper.954
04-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Consider starting a new thread comparing the Hellcat to The Viper. I've never driven a Hellcat. It would be good to hear from someone who has driven both. I've been tempted to trade the Viper in on a Hellcat because I think I'd drive the Hellcat more. I just can't seem to part with the Viper though.

Jack B
04-25-2017, 07:54 AM
The O2 is powered thru a fuse, therefore, theoretically hould not impact the pcm

texasram
04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Do you have headers?

Dman
04-25-2017, 10:16 AM
This has happened before, I remember at least one post on it. Jack is right, I can't believe it could happen, but it has and did, there might be some other weird thing that's happening when it burns thru that is causing the PCM frying, weird but thanks goodness for Mark indeed.

bluesrt
04-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Consider starting a new thread comparing the Hellcat to The Viper. I've never driven a Hellcat. It would be good to hear from someone who has driven both. I've been tempted to trade the Viper in on a Hellcat because I think I'd drive the Hellcat more. I just can't seem to part with the Viper though.

I have both / 2014 ta and a 17 challenger hellcat/ they hell cat is fast and a blast to drive/ two totally different cars/ for running around town I get in my cat. love that car

KB Viper
04-25-2017, 11:37 AM
I melted my 02 sensor wires and it caused a blown fuse, not a hurt PCM. Like JackB said, fuse will blow before PCM will be hurt.
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/13692-Thank-You-Andy-Wheeler

BlueAdder
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM

I drove both but my driving experience of the Hellcat was only some 20 miles.
My buddy who owns it came from Arizona and the suspensions were set up in normal mode so in the twisty parts, while I didn't have to brake at all with the Viper, on the way back with the Hellcat, I had to slow down.
The kitty is automatic, so it's obviously difficult to compare.
Overall the Challenger is more comfortable and it sounds gnarly but I still prefer the snake.

My friend actually prefers to drive the snake. We met at the Bondurant GP-4 course and now he's looking for a used Viper.

ViperGeorge
04-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Do you have headers? If yes, that is why the O2 wire melted. You need to insulate the crap out of the wires.

TrackratViper
04-25-2017, 05:19 PM
It happened on my 2014 TA. The wires melted and caused a short that fried the PCM. FCA refused to warranty the repairs since I had headers. My O2 sensor wires were wrapped but not enough. Viper George is right ... insulate the crap out of everything. After I did that I did not have any more problems. I have wrapped everything on my ACR even though it does not have headers.

Nemesis
04-25-2017, 08:33 PM
I had the O2 issues and a fried PCM.. PCM fried due to undue heat, had nothing to do with the fuse short.

USCDOC
05-01-2017, 02:05 PM
WOW thanks all. Happy to know this is a common issue. I don't have headers, but HF cats/exhaust... I switched it all back to stock prior to taking it in. 100% covered. So they replaced three O2 sensors and the PCM and wrapped the wires. Love talking with the Viper techs. So happy to have my ride back. Hellcat is a totally different ride as stated previous... would NEVER swap. Planning on Demon and adding all seats so I can have a car for the kids that's more fun than my wife's Range SC. I'd probably be happy with the Hellcat... was after a few days, but so hard to go to it after the Viper.

ViperGeorge
05-01-2017, 06:10 PM
WOW thanks all. Happy to know this is a common issue. I don't have headers, but HF cats/exhaust... I switched it all back to stock prior to taking it in. 100% covered. So they replaced three O2 sensors and the PCM and wrapped the wires. Love talking with the Viper techs. So happy to have my ride back. Hellcat is a totally different ride as stated previous... would NEVER swap. Planning on Demon and adding all seats so I can have a car for the kids that's more fun than my wife's Range SC. I'd probably be happy with the Hellcat... was after a few days, but so hard to go to it after the Viper.

Wow, that's curious that your wires melted without headers. That is a bit of a worry.

USCDOC
05-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Wow, that's curious that your wires melted without headers. That is a bit of a worry.

Just saw your ride... holy shit that thing is rad.

Stealth
05-01-2017, 07:08 PM
+1 here: O2 sensors melted on one side and PCM replaced. My car is stock except for Cat-back Corsa exhaust.

Arizona Vipers
05-02-2017, 12:19 AM
+1 here: O2 sensors melted on one side and PCM replaced. My car is stock except for Cat-back Corsa exhaust.

What side was it that they melted?

stradman
05-02-2017, 03:15 AM
Just out of interest did you guys fry the rear or front sensors? I fried the wires/connectors to my rear on both sides but as I had the Arrows pcm which has deleted the rear sensors in its circuit the ASD fuse went but the pcm was still good. I've subsequently deleted the rear sensors altogether

jkviper
05-02-2017, 07:38 AM

I'm and ex Gen II and Gen III owner, almost bought a one of one, then just decided to get a HC Challenger with a 6 speed manual. Hard to compare these cars. HC is a very large car(4400 pounds), lots of room for big-tall drivers, drives very soft and quiet. Almost luxury car type ride. For such a big car I find it handles well on the street. And if you are into drag racing it is a great car with the Automatic the preferred trans.

Great car, fun and easy to drive, not much grip for all that horsepower, relatively inexpensive but very different than a Viper.

ViperPete
05-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Pics?

ViperGeorge
05-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Just saw your ride... holy shit that thing is rad.

Thanks, here's more info on the car.

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/17164-Hmmmm-Woodhouse-ACR-E-Edition-Double-Trouble?highlight=woodhouse