PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 24 and our freind Memo Gidley

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
To All Nor Cal members who participated in the Sacramento go kart event we did a few years ago,
Our mystery driver that we all got to try to beat that day, Memo Gidley is co driving the #99 Gainsco "Red Dragon" Prototype this weekend. Please don't forget to root for Memo and his team mates as you also root for the SRT Viper's in the GTLM class. Have a great weekend.

Glen97
01-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Good deal! Is Memo's deal with the 99 for all year or just the 24hr.

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Just the 24 and maybe the longer races like Sebring, Watkins Glen and Petit. We will see. There is also a new Muscle Milk PC car that will appear starting at Sebring with no drivers announced. Memo has a personal sponsorship with them and has driven for them before so we can only hope. Keep your fingers crossed.

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 11:15 AM
After the first practice the 91 Viper is second quick .05 back and the 93 is 4th. Memo is 6th in the P class.

Ohiotj
01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
I got the Dvr set record as much as the are showing on tv. Can't wait for this years racing season to start.

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
TV times in PST for the Nor Cal group are:
Sat 11AM-1PM on Fox, Sat 1PM to 6PM on Fox Sports 2, Sat 6PM to Sun 4 AM on IMSA.com, Sun 4AM to 12PM Fox Sports 1
Adjust for your time zone

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
2nd Practice:
The Vipers are #1 - #93, #2 - #91 by .2
Memo is 3rd quick Prototype .3 back

Very cool!!

rw99
01-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks x100 for posting those!

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
You're welcome Rich.

In Qualifying the Vipers are #1 (91) & 3 (93) separated by a Porsche and about .1 seconds cover all three cars.

PC's are qualifying now followed by the P's, hope Memo stays near the top.

RWD4RSK
01-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Qualifying is over and Memo's car the #99 Red Dragon is on the P pole by .2. With the Vipers and Memo's car starting at the front it can't get much better. Hope the race goes as well.

RWD4RSK
01-27-2014, 12:50 PM
As most of us who were watching the Daytona 24hrs know the race didn't go very well for our friend Memo Gidley. Just an update, I spoke with a mututal friend/team manager this morning who was just getting on a plane to come home to California from Daytona who gave me an update. Memo has a shiny new titanium rod in his leg, some shiny screws in his elbow, a broken knee cap, a lower back spinal fracture that will require surgery and a broken nose. Other than that he is alert and lucid but will be in FL for another week or so. I know it would raise his spirits to hear some words of encouragement from the Viper community. You can either respond to this thread or if you want to do something more formal you can get him a card and mail it to me and I will get them to him. My address is Richard Mathews, 634 Ambience Way, Danville, CA 94506. Whichever path you choose rest assured that your thoughts will get to Memo. Thanks

whitebeard
01-27-2014, 12:54 PM
I watched the race and am amazed and grateful Memo is on the road to recovery. The crash was horrific.

ViperGTS
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Speedy recovery! Memo, get well soon.

Bill Pemberton
01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting Richard , as it is hard to get good information after such a scary accident. Met Memo years ago at an event and he is just a genuine , regular guy , who has gotten as far as
he has in racing completely on talent. No silver spoon there, and the stories of his sacrifices and drive to get rides are legendary. Hope we all see him back in a car in the future!!!

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Richard, thanks for the insider-update/closure. Please take a memo to Memo:

God was watching out for the 99 car that day..... WE HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN A CAR THIS SEASON !

---------------------------

"Horrific" just does not describe how devastatingly-destructive that freak collision was. Sun-blinded Left-Hand-Driver impacted the Right-rear of a rear-engine coasting Ferrari at a closing speed differential of 120+mph. While accelerating. It was a textbook NHTSA worst-case-collision scenario. Memo's car exploded in a wash of fuel from the Ferrari. Complete testament to the builders, equipment, and to driver conditioning.

I was surprised that a RED Flag was not deployed immediately......the incident was the very definition of a Full-Stop-Red. Soon after, the cars could have circulated on the NASCAR OVAL ONLY, under Full Course Yellow, keeping the infield section 'cold track'. This would have kept the cars cool, and allowed pit stops and garage repairs in progress..... as well as timing-scoring adjustments during the prolonged infield cleanup.

Race Ops was probably going CRAZY.....I have to think that perhaps Emergency resources (Fire and Medical) were stretched too thin to allow the cars to circulate on the oval......but at Daytona? the BEST E-crews available, and had to be manned for 67 cars and "The Big One." I think Race Ops was also in some shock.....

MtnBiker
01-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Horrific crash. Get well Memo!

VYPR BYT
01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Scary to watch it...
Get Well Soon Memo!

Viper Girl
01-27-2014, 02:05 PM
God was rooting for the 99 car that day..... WE HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN A CAR THIS SEASON !

---------------------------

THIS...

Get well soon Memo

Fatboy 18
01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
My very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

FLATOUT
01-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I am so happy to hear this. My wife and I said a prayer shortly after impact.

Torquemonster06
01-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Memo and his family.

RWD4RSK
01-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting Richard , as it is hard to get good information after such a scary accident. Met Memo years ago at an event and he is just a genuine , regular guy , who has gotten as far as
he has in racing completely on talent. No silver spoon there, and the stories of his sacrifices and drive to get rides are legendary. Hope we all see him back in a car in the future!!!

I agree Bill, met Memo about 17 years ago at the go kart track where he became my favorite driving coach right about the time he got the Lynx Atlantic ride. Over the years he has come to my Rotary Club to speak twice creating a large fan base and a few years ago when our Nor Cal club did a indoor karting event I invited him to come join us as a mystery driver for all of us to try to beat. Boy did that get a buzz going in our club. He gladly came, started from the back in each heat but still smoked the field. In the final heat he offered a day of coaching for anyone who could beat him and again started from the back. When he got to the last driver to pass he lightened up and trailed him to the finish just so someone would win. Just an all around great person and friend.

rw99
01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
My heart stopped just a bit when I saw the crash and flames, and only later did I make the connection to Memo.

So glad, honestly, that he even survived that hit... and all my best wishes to him for recovery.

RWD4RSK
01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
A Memo update from Racer Magazine, please keep him in your thoughts:

Those who've gone to see Memo Gidley in the Halifax hospital in Daytona Beach, Fla., reckon the open-wheel and sports car ace has a long road to recovery. Some have said it will take the rest of 2014 to mend his broken bones and complete rehabilitation. Whatever the duration proves to be, it's clear the Californian's fitness and high-octane spirit will help to expedite the process.

Gidley's TUDOR United SportsCar Championship team owner Bob Stallings has kept RACER abreast of Memo's progress since his nightmarish crash last Saturday during the Rolex 24 at Daytona, and shared an update on Friday that's both funny and heartwarming.

“Yesterday afternoon, Memo was having a conversation with me, and obviously he's inquisitive about what's going on with him,” said Stallings. “Although he was having some good relative clarity, his short-term memory hasn't fully returned yet. You can have a good talk with him and he can remember a lot of things before the crash, but doesn't really have much recall from the race on.

“So we're talking about what happened and he stops and says in a totally serious frame of mind, ‘You know, Bob, I just wanted to tell you…I don't think I'm going to be ready for Sebring… (Laughs) I thought that was pretty funny. He's such a thoughtful and responsible guy, he wanted me to know well in advance that I might not be able to count on him for Sebring, and I thanked him for that update…”

Gidley's broken left leg and arm were reported in the aftermath of the crash, along with the fracture to his lower back, but the damage to his left foot, which has not received as much coverage, was the subject of an operation this morning.

“He had a surgery – went in around 8:30 and came out about two hours later and that was to repair some broken bones in his left foot and heel area," Stallings explained. "We'd known about that from the beginning, but it was a lower priority to the other surgeries the doctors wanted to get done first. The surgeon said everything was successful. Memo's been in a little bit of pain today, so he's been on some sedatives so he could sleep most of the day.

“As far as we know, he's finished his ordeal of surgeries and it wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow or Sunday he'll get moved from the intensive care unit to a regular room. Then they'll continue to monitor him and his possibility for travel. It could come the end of next week, but could be as early as Wednesday or Thursday. We don't have a place picked out yet, but he'll head to Northern California.”

Stallings also spoke on the kind of support Gidley has received from the greater NASCAR and TUDOR Championship community while in the ICU.
“The whole NASCAR organization has been, honestly, just terrific," he continued. "From Jim France, Mike Helton, Ed Bennett; the organization is really attentive to help him and coordinate everything to get him back on his feet. Jim comes over every morning and sits with me in the waiting room – sometimes for an hour, sometimes for two-and-a-half hours – hanging out and keeping us company. That's been really inspiring.

“Memo's mom and girlfriend are here, and they're naturally concerned about Memo's future, and Jim's been really supportive for them. It's good to see someone with resources is making sure Memo's being looked after. We've had a few drivers come to visit, but I've been discouraging that a bit because he's still in intensive car. He's appreciated it…I'm not sure he'll remember it, but it's been pretty neat for him to have such an outpouring of care.”

01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the updates -- pretty sobering.

Torquemonster06
01-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Thank you for the new info.

TBSVIPER
01-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the update. We, like so many others wish him a full recovery.

Viperpro
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Memo, a supporter of our club and we Support you. Best for a speedy recovery.

boplaw
02-02-2014, 11:03 PM
That....is a man.

Speedy recovery Memo.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
02-02-2014, 11:12 PM
All our prayers and best wishes to Memo from our house, He's one hell of a dude!!

Rick thanks for introducing him to us..

Toddy

RWD4RSK
02-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Here is the latest update on Memo, he is back in Nor Cal to begin his recovery.

Memo Gidley released from hospital in Daytona Beach, Florida

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 5, 2014) – Memo Gidley, driver of the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette Prototype, begins the next chapter in his recovery effort, having been discharged from Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Fla. tonight.

After undergoing three separate surgeries as a result of an accident in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Gidley is being medically transported this evening via airplane to northern California where he will continue his recovery and begin his rehabilitation.

Gidley underwent his first surgery on Saturday, Jan. 25 to repair a broken left leg and left elbow, and endured a lengthy surgery to repair a compression fracture in his lower back on Monday, Jan. 27. The final surgery was completed on Friday, Jan. 31 to repair a fracture in his left heel. He has spent the days following his final surgery resting and gathering strength for the medical transport across the country.

“I’m extremely happy and relieved to see Memo taking the next step in his recovery process,” team owner Bob Stallings said. “Memo has been stabilized enough so he can make the flight to northern California and be transferred to another medical facility which has a very capable protocol for handling the types of injuries and recovery process that Memo requires. The doctors and nurses from Halifax have done a terrific job in getting him to this point, and I know that Memo is appreciative of it and everything that has been done on his behalf.”

While there is not a set time frame for his recovery and rehabilitation, doctors anticipate that he will make a positive recovery but that it is likely to take several months or longer.

“I’ve had great care while I have been here at Halifax,” Gidley said. “From the nursing staff to the doctors, I appreciate all they have done for me. I know it will take a while for me to get back on my feet, but I will be working hard for all the fans, friends and family who have been pulling for me since the accident.”

Team owner Stallings remained at the hospital through Gidley's surgeries and has continued to talk with him daily. Many friends and drivers have also visited Gidley, including the No. 99 “Red Dragon” co-drivers Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty and Darren Law, as they visited with Gidley prior to their return home and have remained in touch with him throughout his stay at Halifax Health. IMSA TUDOR United SportsCar competitors Jordan Taylor and Ricky Taylor visited Gidley several times and set up a PlayStation 3 in his room.

“We are truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from family, friends and fans worldwide,” said Gidley’s mom and girlfriend, who have been at the hospital with Gidley. “Special thanks to Jim France, Mike Helton, Ed Bennett, Scott Atherton and the entire NASCAR/IMSA organization, John Gorsline and his team, and the amazing GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing family for contributing so much to Memo’s care. Extra special thanks to Bob Stallings who has been by Memo’s side since day one, working tirelessly to ensure Memo gets the best treatment and has the best prospects for a full recovery. Because of everyone’s support and prayers, we are optimistic he will fully recover.”

Fans and friends can continue to send well wishes to Gidley on www.GAINSCORacing.com/All4Memo or using #All4Memo on Twitter or Facebook. Updates and additional details on Gidley’s recovery will be provided in the near future.

RWD4RSK
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Some new great news regarding Memo:

Gidley’s Attitude is Upbeat and Positive During First Week in Santa Rosa Facility

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (February 11, 2014) – Memo Gidley, driver of the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette Prototype, continues to show signs of significant improvement during his first week at Santa Rosa Memorial Acute Rehab Center in Santa Rosa, Calif.

Gidley was medically transported by airplane last Wednesday to the northern California facility following an extended stay at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Fla. after suffering multiple injuries in a crash during the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

“I spoke to Memo today for about 25 minutes on the phone, and I was jubilant in hearing his voice, hearing how clear headed and articulate he was,” team owner Bob Stallings said. “He was able to have a great and meaningful conversation. His spirits are high, and he’s now fully aware of what has happened to him and what’s likely ahead of him in terms of his recovery.”

What is ahead of Gidley is not yet completely determined, as it depends on several unknown factors, which includes how long it takes his injuries to heal, the protocol the doctors follow at the Acute Rehab Center and a schedule that is still being developed for his rehabilitation.

“The progress he’s made has been startling to me, as he’s come a long way since Daytona,” Stallings said. “He’s extremely positive in his attitude towards his future, and I know that he’s ready for the road ahead.”

While expressing his bright and cheerful outlook for his journey ahead, Gidley was particularly thankful for those who have supported him this far.

“Memo is quite thankful that the accident wasn’t any worse than it was,” Stallings added. “He was really happy about care he received at Halifax, and he’s confident in the doctor who is in charge of his case and those who are working with him on rehab in Santa Rosa. He also expressed his gratitude to his girlfriend and mom who spent their time with him in Daytona. He also personally thanked me for being there with him and being connected to him and his doctors. I really appreciated that, and I’m grateful that he’s on the path to recovery, as he is really a special guy.”

Fans wanting to send cards can do so by the following address: Nurses Station, as patient under confidential status; Acute Rehab Center, East Wing, Rm 1082; Santa Rosa Memorial; 1165 Montgomery Dr; Santa Rosa, CA 95405. Please do not use his name, as these will be returned to sender.

In lieu of flowers, Gidley requests donations be made to Camp Boggy Creek, a proud charity partner of IMSA. Donations can be made online at www.campboggycreek.org, and the gift designated in honor of Memo Gidley.

Fans and friends can also continue to send well wishes to Gidley on www.GAINSCORacing.com/All4Memo or using #All4Memo on Twitter or Facebook.

RWD4RSK
02-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Went to see my friend Memo Gidley yesterday thanks to Memo's Mom helping me connect with him. Took a little doing to navigate through the Fort Know style security that has been set up at the hospital. Spent about and hour with he and Mari which was great. He is alert and in great spirits and has already started a kick butt physical rehab program, no surprise. My bet is he will be back in a race car sooner than anyone can imagine. He has not been on any electronic media yet so if you have not heard back from him don't feel slighted. Delivered the Nor Cal Viper Club get well card to him and the VOA forum posts from this thread which he loved (we are almost to 800 views but more posts would be great), BIG SMILE:D. Keep praying and thinking good thoughts for him and by all means keep viewing and responding to this thread. He loved seeing the love that our club has sent his way. More news to follow.

RWD4RSK
02-27-2014, 11:54 AM
An Update on Memo:

He was moved to a longer term rehab facility on Tuesday where they can work with him more closely and customize his rehab to his specific needs. The rehab work is intense and wipes him out but he is focused and determined to get back to 100%. I keep sharing your posts and the number of views to this link (approaching 1000) with him which makes him feel very good :D. It raises his spirit to see your posts and to know that he has freinds in this community so please keep posting, viewing and thinking of him.

Glen97
02-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Rick,
Thanks for all the updates! Keep pushing hard Memo!

RWD4RSK
03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
An update on Memo from the Marin IJ. I am going to try to go see him again this weekend and will give him all of the Viper communities best:

Marin Motor Sports: Novato's Gidley motivated to get back into racing shape after horrific crash in January

By Todd Telford
IJ correspondent

For Novato's Memo Gidley, life has been all about going fast. Now, in the aftermath of his horrific crash during the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Jan. 25, the focus will be on taking it slow. His recovery will be incremental, with different healing rates and different physical therapy regimens lying ahead.

Gidley was in peak form a month ago when he swerved the No. 99 GAINSCO Corvette DP out from behind a slower car heading into a setting sun just before Daytona's infield kink. Instead of making a quick pass before the next turn-in, he squarely rammed the slowing Ferrari 458 Italia of Matteo Malucelli that was inching along just off the racing line about 100 mph slower.

It was the worst impact in professional sports car racing in North America so far this century. Gidley had to be cut out of the car and extracted from where the roof of his Daytona Prototype had been. From there he was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center near the speedway. After three surgeries and a couple of weeks of getting stable enough to be transported to Northern California from Florida, Gidley is back close to home where his girlfriend of four years, Mari Inoye, and mother Mary Gidley can be at his bedside.

Gidley is no stranger to injury in sports. But this one is different by an order of magnitude.

"This is the first time in my career where I've broken multiple bones," Gidley said from his hospital bed. "I think I've got something like eight or ten that are broken, some big stuff. I think the only thing that is ready to go right now is my right arm."

Gidley is eternally grateful to the three surgeons that pieced back together his left heel, foot, and leg; right leg; left arm and hand; and stabilized a cracked vertebrae.

"The guys down in Daytona — and I haven't talked to any of them, I was pretty out of it back then — all the surgeons; my hat goes off to them," Gidley said. "They really did a good job of putting everything back together."

From day one of his ordeal, Gidley has received support and well wishes throughout the racing world. Jim France, founder of the Grand American Road Racing Association and part of NASCAR's first family, visited Gidley daily. So did Bob Stallings, owner of the GAINSCO "Red Dragon" car that had claimed two Grand-Am titles with Gidley's co-drivers Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty.

There were multiple visits from NASCAR president Mike Helton, texts from three-time Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti, care packages from fellow Grand-Am drivers Brian and Burt Frisselle, along with hundreds of well-wishes on every form of social media. NASCAR's six-time champion Jimmy Johnson, who drove for Stallings before Gidley's tenure, offered to loan Memo his jet to get him from Daytona to Northern California.

"It's been great. There's a lot of people that have reached out and said that they're behind me," Gidley said. "That side of it has been really good. You need that kind of motivation when you're in this situation and it's so hard when you first start out in it. Even someone like me. I'm always very optimistic."

That support from all corners came in handy for Gidley when his buoyant nature was tested.

"The first few weeks of recovery; it's a very challenging place. It's the hardest thing that I've ever done," Gidley admitted. "Imagine your body breaking 10 bones, but not in a nice way. Stuff having to be cut apart and being put back together. So you're in an intense amount of pain, you're on a massive amount of pain killers. You have no idea what's going on. I don't remember much of the first eight or nine days."

But back in California at a location that Gidley would prefer to remain undisclosed, the first corner has been turned. The fog and pain and meds, the parade of faces and post-op evaluations, are all behind him. And familiar hands ground him for the next phase.

"My girlfriend and my mom really help me get through my days," Gidley said.

Both have been cleared by medical staff to assist Memo in getting in and out of bed, into a wheelchair, and to the bathroom. Until mobility and strength improve, Gidley will still need help dressing and with other basic needs.

This is a role reversal for Mary.

"She had just broken her hip," Memo said. "I was taking care of her a little bit before Daytona. Now she's pushing me around in a wheelchair, helping out any way she can."

The grueling part now becomes the focus.

"I do an hour or two of physical therapy a day, but as much as I'd like to do four hours, that would be too much," Gidley said of his need to recover after every session. "It's a real balance like that."

In the weeks and months ahead, the next goal will be aquatic. For someone who has raced jet-skis and yachts, it will be a step towards his second sporting home.

"There are a lot of things that you do to get stronger, getting on a bike, working with a physical therapist. One of the things that I'm really looking forward to is getting into a pool," Gidley said. "I want to create a program in a pool because then I'm not loading my legs 100 percent."

Gidley hopes to shift into that phase of therapy as soon as he's healed enough to allow those kinds of loads on his joints. He also needs to regain his stamina. He lost at least 10 pounds because he his metabolism is geared for his competition and has little fat to burn. And it was ramped up even more for Daytona.

"That's just my body's DNA. Unless I'm working out, I'm losing weight." Gidley said.

Another part of his recovery is stepping back into the mainstream of everyday life. He missed the Olympics. The TV has rarely been on.

"I'm just not in that mode yet," Gidley said. "One of my good friends brought me some movies today, so maybe I'll get to the point where I'll watch a movie. But up to this point it's been work and sleep. Recovery, that's all there is."

Well not entirely. Gidley is finally in a place where he can start chipping away at the mountain of well wishes. He has to pace himself even at that, texting, emailing and calling when he's up to it.

But between those connections and the 3x5 banner in his room covered with signatures of drivers, team members and fans, Gidley can't avoid just how big his support group is. Stallings made the banner and created the hashtag #All4Memo, promoting it on the team's website.

Sadly, the Bob Stallings Racing team has shut their doors for the rest of the season. The Red Dragon was entered in the three other races of the North American Endurance Championship, a battle within the TUDOR United Sports Car season series. But the car Gidley was cut out of was their only chassis, and the team is choosing to prepare instead for their 2015 assault.

With any luck, Gidley will be able to return when they do. The injuries to his back don't have the same element of risk that ended Franchitti's IndyCar career. Gidley's ankles and knees will fully recover.

There will be a point that will mark Gidley's next finish line.

"I'll be back. I'm motivated to make that happen, to get back to how I was. I don't see that as a problem, but it will take a little bit of time," Gidley said. "Yeah, I love racing. It's difficult, but if I thought it was too difficult I'd just take up another job and do something else. Racing, the environment and the people, that's what I love. That's what motivates me to put the work in."

RWD4RSK
03-13-2014, 02:41 PM
A quick Memo update:

Just got an email from his girl freind and she tells me he is doing really well in rehab and the doctors say his broken bones are healing really well. Still a ways to go but he has been given the clearance to start pushing his rehab at a stronger pace. :o

Also, if you are watching the 12 hours of Sebring this weekend there will be a phone interview with Memo at around 12 noon PDT that is supposed to be broadcast. Hope the Vipers do really well on Saturday.

TBSVIPER
03-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks again for your updates. It is wonderful to read about his recovery and his motivation to fully recover from the accident. No doubt he suffered tremendous pain from his injuries but his willpower and drive will overcome that with the support of family, friends and fans.

rw99
03-18-2014, 05:27 PM
It was great to hear Memo during the Sebring broadcast! Rick, please let him know that we all continue to pull for him during his recovery and look forward to his return behind the wheel.

NorCal would certainly love to entertain him with further karting antics, I know ;-)

RWD4RSK
03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
For All The Memo Gidley Followers In The Viper Community, This Morning Memo Posted An Update Which Announced That He Took His First Steps Putting Full Weight on His Legs On Friday. He's lost a lot of weight but not his fight which is great news. Attached is the letter and a pic:

A Thank-You Letter from Memo
• Posted on March 30, 2014
• by Memo Gidley News
• in News
Hello everybody and thanks so much for your support! I wish I could respond and say thank you individually to everyone who has written and posted well wishes on various websites and forums… but recovery and healing have been absolutely non-stop for me.
I have gone through a lot of difficult and painful things in my life and on the journey to the top of racing. But these last two months, since my Daytona crash, have easily taken the cake as the hardest and most painful. However, as difficult as this has been, I feel so unbelievably lucky because I am confident I can heal and get back to the Gidley I was before.
As lucky as I feel, I also know my journey ahead will require so much dedication and commitment.
I was in the hospital bed for nearly 5 weeks and I lost something like 20lbs of bodyweight… mostly muscle. I currently get surprised often how it takes to get this… actually really any muscle back on my thin frame. I broke and fractured something like 12 bones so this makes me working at an injured level that I have never been to in my life. The physical therapy from this point is overwhelming if you try to think of all the work. I have my up and down days… but I know every day I will give it my complete effort and work as hard as I can. As a racer… or person that has never been in a difficult situation like this, I have so much respect now for those who have.
I want to, once again, thank everyone who has helped me…in so many ways. All of the IMSA Tudor Championship safety people who got me out of the unbelievably wrecked DP and got me to the hospital, as well as the entire Tudor Series organization and leader, Jim France.
All of the people that helped me at Daytona Halifax hospital. Nurses, helpers etc., and the surgeons that did such a fantastic job operating on my numerous broken bones…something like twelve fractures, from what I understand.
And all of my friends, various team members, and so many people that came out to see me at the Daytona Halifax hospital during that first week while I was beginning my recovery. Thanks.
My team, Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing. Bob and his team have been so great to me. What an awesome group of people that have given me so much support. Thank you.
My Mom and girlfriend, who have been by my side daily, and to my young daughter and all of my family. So many thanks and so much love to all of them.
All of my current physical trainers and helpers and medical professionals from various places who have gotten me to this point… and will help me get to the future.
All of the thousands of fans and friends who have shown me their support. From cards, emails, texts, Facebook and Twitter posts, forums, articles, etc. etc. I have faced some really difficult days – please know that all of you got me to the next day. Thanks so much… please know how grateful I am.
Also, the race teams that applied #All4Memo decals on their race cars for the 12 Hours of Sebring…that was awesome.
I’m sure I missed a few folks – forgive me, but know that I’m thankful. I am thankful to everyone who wants me to recover.
And just so all my friends know, last Friday I took my first steps using just a walker. I was able to put all my weight on my two legs and walk around the inside of the physical therapy center! It was awesome to be up using my own power!
I have a lot of work ahead of me, but because of the people behind me, and my determination, I will heal and get strong again.
Thanks, again, to all those Memomaniacs! I love you all and will get back out onto the racetrack as soon as I can and make you proud!

TBSVIPER
04-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Good news indeed! Delighted to read his note and to learn more about his recovery to this point.

RWD4RSK
04-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Just got an email update on Memo's current status for those of us following his recovery process:

Gidley Moves Home to Continue Outpatient Rehab
Memo Gidley, driver of the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette Prototype who was injured in January’s Rolex 24 At Daytona, moved home yesterday where he will continue with home healthcare and outpatient physical therapy on his road to recovery.
After spending nearly six weeks in a San Francisco outpatient program, Gidley returns to his home residence to continue his rehabilitation and recovery efforts. Gidley has recently been able to put weight on his broken leg, broken arm and has begun walking with the assistance of a walker.
“I have a lot of work ahead of me, but because of the people behind me, and my determination, I will heal and get strong again,” Gidley said in a letter to supporters on his website. “As difficult as this has been, I feel so unbelievably lucky because I am confident I can heal and get back to the Gidley I was before.”
Those wanting to send cards can do so by the following address: Memo Gidley; 153 Prospect Ave.; Sausalito, CA 94965. In lieu of flowers, Gidley requests donations be made to Camp Boggy Creek, a proud charity partner of IMSA. Donations can be made online atwww.campboggycreek.org, and the gift designated in honor of Memo Gidley.
Fans and friends can also continue to send well wishes to Gidley on www.GAINSCORacing.com/All4Memo or using #All4Memo on Twitter or Facebook.

RWD4RSK
04-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Just got an email from Memo, it is a response to an email I sent him right after the accident, bringing me up to date on his recovery that I thought I would share:

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the email...I appreciate it a lot. Sorry for a delayed response. It was only because so much has been going on with my location because of recovery and just all the medical stuff...to be able to get back to people has been tough.

The good news is I am recovering...but it is taking some time.

All my bones(something like 12 broken/fractured) have been healing quite fast but I did have a nerve issue in my tailbone area come up a month ago...which has been painful and has limited my recovery.

Luckily, that nerve pain(which is still a bit of a mystery with the doctors), has gotten less this last week. This means I am now starting PT again...although slowly. I can walk...which is great...but still very weak because of being more or less committed to the bed and minimal movement since my accident almost three month ago.

So again, thanks very much for your email. It has been a difficult road for me, but having support from people has been a big motivator.

I hope you are good, take care,

Memo

Glen97
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the update! Sounds good!