PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Pete badging reapplication recommendations..

PatrickB
01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, I happened to notice recently that my Sneaky Pete badge on the front bumper of my '00 RT/10 has lost some of it's adhesive backing and is pealing away in certain spots from the bumper. I think the best course of action is going to be to remove it completely, remove all of the old adhesive from the bumper and the back of the badge, then reapply with a new adhesive. What I'm looking for is recommendations/ideas on how to:

- remove the badge from the bumper (it's still attached in certain areas)
- remove the old adhesive from the bumper and the badge

Obviously I'm looking for ways to remove and clean without damaging any paint/surfaces.

I also need a recommendation of what kind of new adhesive I should use.

Can anyone help?

Thawk97
01-23-2014, 09:36 AM
In terms of removal, I've removed several decals from my car using a hair dryer and Goo Gone (NOT Goof Off). Goo Gone is gentle enough it won't hurt your paint (do make sure to wash it off when you're done) but is pretty good at softening adhesives. The hair dryer helps to warm the current adhesive so you can remove the badge, and the Goo Gone will help you clean off the residue left behind. Just be aware of how much heat you're applying so things don't get too hot (all you're trying to do is soften the rest of the adhesive). Using a piece of floss behind the badge may help as well once it's softened up.

Just go really slow and careful.

Solid Red 98
01-23-2014, 09:46 AM
I have always removed hard badges with dental floss. The main thing is cleanliness, a tad of heat, and goo gone if necessary. Keep the floss off of the paint with masking tape to avoid abrasions. Also, sometimes the masking tape can help in repositioning things going back together. I used auto grade double-stick emblem tape (available at any parts store) to reapply my emblems, just make sure you clean all of the old adhesive off of the back of the badge.

hawk02
01-24-2014, 07:10 AM
GooGone after it's off then 3M to reinstall.

whitebeard
01-25-2014, 06:25 AM
3M makes the industry standard double sided tape if my memory is correct. Just make sure it is grey automotive version. Been searching for a sheet of it but best I can find is 1" width.

PatrickB
01-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies! I use GooGone all the time but wasn't sure if it was truly safe for the Viper..