PDA

View Full Version : R14 Door Handle Recall Problem

theviper
04-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Just wondering how many people have had the R14 Door Handle Recall done and what their experiences are. I've had it done on a few Vipers (from a trusted dealership) without a problem. Just bought another Viper and the seller had the R14 done right before I had the car shipped to me. This Dodge dealer has completely messed up the door panels, broken some of the clips (1/4-1/2" gap between the door and the door panel), caused the window to rattle when closed and shake when open, ruined the window seal, and even forget to put the plastic covers over the screws behind the door handle! There is even a small grease smudge mark on the sepia laguna leather.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is this repairable? Do the door panels have to be replaced now? If so, I don't even think that they make the diamond patterned sepia laguna leather anymore. I'm not happy with this Dodge dealership and the enormous amount of time I now have to waste to get it fixed (hopefully they can get it 100% to new specs). To me, the car won't be perfect (there will always be a smudge in the leather even if the panel is fixed). Besides trying to get it fixed, what else should I do in terms of the dealer?

swexlin
04-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Sorry to hear this, no issues with mine. In fact, my tech is so detailed, that after he did it the first time, he didn't like the way one of the new handle covers fit. He showed me, and thought it was OK, but it didn't suit him, so he ordered another set, and the next time the car was in for service (for another issue) he did it again, and gave me the old handle covers as spares. He did say the procedure was fairly involved, however.

So, if you got a tech who didn't know what they were doing. Hope you can get them to make it right.

1ststrike
04-07-2017, 06:32 PM
No problem with mine but done at a trusted dealership

theviper
04-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Supposedly, the Viper Tech has been a Viper Tech since the 90's. Still trying to find out if it was the tech or someone else that did the work. Either way, who the hell rips the door panels off and pretends to put them back on correctly and returns it to the customer?! Hope it is repairable. If not, someone will be paying for the damages. Someone definitely has to reimburse for my time, IMO.

theviper
04-09-2017, 09:53 PM
All these problems from the R14 recall. Unbelievable!

https://youtu.be/8yghUVfacqw

7TH_SIGN
04-09-2017, 10:31 PM
All these problems from the R14 recall. Unbelievable!

https://youtu.be/8yghUVfacqw

This is unfortunately the case with Vipers. Unless you live near or are willing to ship your car to one of the few trusted Viper dealerships, this is the kind of service you can expect to receive from your local dealership. I never let the dealership touch mine and did all the recalls myself to avoid this very example.

Blue T/A 2.0
04-10-2017, 04:45 PM
I have not received any info on the recall. Is it for certain years or the entire line?

theviper
04-10-2017, 05:35 PM
I have not received any info on the recall. Is it for certain years or the entire line?

It is for 2013 and 2014 Vipers.

Blue T/A 2.0
04-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Thanks theviper

Stealth
04-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Supposedly, the Viper Tech has been a Viper Tech since the 90's. Still trying to find out if it was the tech or someone else that did the work. Either way, who the hell rips the door panels off and pretends to put them back on correctly and returns it to the customer?! Hope it is repairable. If not, someone will be paying for the damages. Someone definitely has to reimburse for my time, IMO.

Having a Viper Tech used to mean something. NOT so in some Southern California Dealerships. Sloppy, non-caring work, consistently damaged the Viper and often... less than truthful.

I was told by another Dealer that I like that Dealers without Viper Techs cannot perform Warranty Work.

Just one of the challenges we all face moving forward. Good luck getting your window issues corrected--they should absolutely be covered.