PDA

View Full Version : MOD suggestions-stock '08 ACR

Leslie
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi, just rec'd my 2008 ACR (all stock except for shifter). I have been doing some reading on mods for Gen IV's, want to get some suggestions. This Gen is new to me (had a GenII before), so not sure what is needed to get the ACR ready for roadracing (HPDE's).

Tires-going to change out cups since I drive to tracks...suggestions?
Alignment change?
Suspension-saw some suggestions on another thread
Brake pads? I am used to Hawk, anything else good on the ACR?
Fluids-I was running Motul on other Viper, do I need to change out tranny and diff? Oil-15/50? Radiator-dist.water/coolant combination?
Will I need cooling ducts?

I don't want to go too crazy, just do the basics until I get used to the car then see what I really want as far as intake/exhaust/etc.

Thanks!

Leslie

SSGNRDZ_28
01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Congrats on the new car!

Which direction on tires? Michelin Pilot Super Sport are good for a step in the street direction.
Catch Can?
IPSCO Tow Hook(s)?
GEN V Intake Manifold? (later maybe)
DSE Quick Release Battery Cover? ;)

Shooter
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
I drive with the cups all the time. have been for about 2-3 years now. For awhile, JonB had them cheaper then PS2's. I have a set for the track, and a set for the street. As long as you pay attention, it's not a problem. I have even driven in the rain with them. Just need to remember that you have a 600+ hp car and drive accordingly. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about.

Steve M
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
I drive with the cups all the time. have been for about 2-3 years now. For awhile, JonB had them cheaper then PS2's. I have a set for the track, and a set for the street. As long as you pay attention, it's not a problem. I have even driven in the rain with them. Just need to remember that you have a 600+ hp car and drive accordingly. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about.

Come drive around for a while on Ohio/Indiana roads and you'll find out.

Shooter
01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Come drive around for a while on Ohio/Indiana roads and you'll find out.

Ya but the faster I go....the more my car pushes down :)

Leslie
01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Congrats on the new car!

Which direction on tires? Michelin Pilot Super Sport are good for a step in the street direction.
Catch Can?
IPSCO Tow Hook(s)?
GEN V Intake Manifold? (later maybe)
DSE Quick Release Battery Cover? ;)

YEH,that's a good list! I think I can hold off on the intake...for now hehe.

I am thinking this is 'first stage track mods, figure out car, THEN add the extra's.'

venomous08
01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Get the car back over to Mark and let him get the alignment in for you along with the weight and balance. If you can't get over to him you can also try and catch Archer at a NARRA Event.

Plans on my car in the next few weeks are Bellangers, Corsa Track exhaust, Lower P&P'd, Install my controller, and catch can.

BlknBlu
01-21-2014, 03:39 PM
A few things that are off most people radar.

Short throw shifter
Carbon Fiber closeout panel
Motor and tranny mounts

Bruce

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Leslie, please call.

#1- make it TURN BETTER: Performance alignment Essential; Tires; Downforce/Track Extension

#2- make it BRAKE BETTER: Pads; Tires; SS Lines; Upgrade Fluid; Downforce

#3- Only after #1 and #2 ADD HP .... or re-gear your HP with a 3:55. Tracks Matter.

NO -NO - NO to hard motor mounts. "The Year Matters" and VEWC will tell you NOT to put hard motor mounts in a G4, especially a 2008. The poly motor mounts transfer noticeable vibrations into the dash/car, and the knock sensor can even throw you into LIMP MODE!. If you do exhaust mods, plan on the PCM. You say you already have the short-shifter. The GTS Fluids are also good in ACR. [No diff posi-additives needed.]

Tires: I too run cups wet or dry. Remember, they were an optional intermediate RAIN tire vs slicks in SpeedGT a while back! You can drive them at highway speeds and not panic.

Since you are an ADVANCED driver, you may want to try the MINTEX F2R pads in front, and OE or Brakeman or even Hawk rear. Carbotech has some good choices too..... ask Mark about those, I am not 1st-person aware on them right now. I have a set on the shelf to try when I next need pads. But I love the Mintex/Brakeman combo.

Since this is your 1st SRT10, plz note that bias aside, the front pads FIT the Rear calipers and Visa-Versa. Interchangeable! So you could buy 1 set of Mintex or BM for Front, and have TWO OE SETS for the rear!

DONT waste $$ on ACR-X front rotors/pads since they are HEAVIER and waaaay more $$ for pads and for replacement discs than ACR StopTechs. Note: -X rotors are meant for 40-90 minute races. They need the extra thickness-weight for racing endurance-temps. You don't need that in 20-25-minute HPDE events.

FLATOUT
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Leslie call Jon :D

I would say anything ACRX related. How lucky are we that we have a factory race car that did all the R&D and Failure anylsis for us. I have a few X parts on my car like the canards, Catch Can, Headers, no cats, shifter, and close out panel.

Also added the Gen V manifold that you can get through Jon B as well.

mjorgensen
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Hi, just rec'd my 2008 ACR (all stock except for shifter). I have been doing some reading on mods for Gen IV's, want to get some suggestions. This Gen is new to me (had a GenII before), so not sure what is needed to get the ACR ready for roadracing (HPDE's).

Alignment change?
Fluids-I was running Motul on other Viper, do I need to change out tranny and diff? Oil-15/50? Radiator-dist.water/coolant combination?

I don't want to go too crazy, just do the basics until I get used to the car then see what I really want as far as intake/exhaust/etc.

Thanks!

Leslie

Leslie Leslie Leslie... :-) We could have done all of the prep work before it even left here... Lot's of great suggestions so far, but this is a much different beast then you had before so I would suggest mucho seat time then decide what you want to improve from there.

Have fun!

SSGNRDZ_28
01-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Also perhaps a racing harness? What are the best options out there?

Great suggestions all, keep them coming...

mjorgensen
01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Also perhaps a racing harness? What are the best options out there?

Great suggestions all, keep them coming...

Team tech are the best harnesses, Viper specific also.

Leslie
01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Leslie Leslie Leslie... :-) We could have done all of the prep work before it even left here... Lot's of great suggestions so far, but this is a much different beast then you had before so I would suggest mucho seat time then decide what you want to improve from there.

Have fun!

I was delirious at the time Mark, I was buying an ACR!!!:dude3:

Timnineside
01-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I'd suggest exhaust. Huge sound and HP improvement. Mopar ECU is a fair value as it adds to the drivability and you can use it for further mods. And yeah call Jon B. He's a ball of knowledge as I'm sure you know.

Also I'm in Michigan and I ran cups on my ACR. No issues. Getting caught in the rain isn't fun but if you use common sense you'll be fine. I hear the hardcore track people pull the KW and replace with MCS.

Tint the hatch if that's your thing.

-Tim

Shooter
01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
this is a much different beast then you had before so I would suggest mucho seat time then decide what you want to improve from there.

Have fun!

Real good advice right there.

MtnBiker
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Agree with JonB on alignment. I'm nit sure if the ACR comes stock with a track alignment. My 2010 coupe did not. I just had that done and it literally took 5 secs off my lap times at TWS.

For power you have to get full Belanger plus the Mopar ECU. It wakes the car up.

Allan
01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Agree with the Mintex / Brakeman#3 setup. Works great, very consistent, no fade.
Also track alignment. Everybody seems to have their own 'sweet spot' specs for their own driving style / tracks they run on.
The gen III / IV cars don't favor too much rear camber as a generality, but other than that, what ever makes the car feel good to you.
I have tried a few different settings and have settled on; front camber at negative 2.5, caster at 5.5, and 1/16 toe-in.
Rear camber at negative 1.7, and 1/8 toe-in.
My car has the stock suspension and no aero stuff, so what works for me may not be so great for the ACR.
-but just giving an idea.

Sport Cups seemed to wear better for me with more negative camber, otherwise the outside shoulders would disappear quicker than I could afford.
Cups are good back and forth 'run what you brung' tires, although I think they are terrible when they are not up to temp.
They are also very light.

I think it's awesome that you stepped up to an ACR...........being a track addict, there isn't anything else that would suit you better

...............................other than an X,.........but then you would need a trailer.
and you and I both know, half the fun is getting there.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Allan - are you making these adjustments at the track? If so, what tools are you using to measure caster, camber, and toe?

Late Apex
01-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Alignment change?

Thanks!

Leslie For road racing with better lap times and safety I recommend, OEM pads or better but not Hawk (street use mostly). Either the cups or I prefer Hoosiers R6 for awesome grip on 18 inch wheels only. 6 point harness a must and a racing seat will support you much better than stock. Catch can, stainless brake lines and Motul 600 brake fluid or similar. 15w50 oil. Track alignment. Adjust the ACR shocks for a stiffer setting as factory settings are loose and somewhat sloppy. No cooling ducts needed or radiator add. Good lap times are 80% driver and 20% car. Braking and suspension set up is much more important than adding HP. Have fun.........

Bill Pemberton
01-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Late Apex is really correct----suspension set up and pads are two simple adjustments that really are more important initially than more HP. But set data on alignment and shocks is not always
the answer, as how one wants the car aligned, lowered, corner weighted ,etc. should be based on each driver's specific needs. A car that is put in the trailer and taking from track to track ,
will need , imho, a different set up than one driven to and from the track, as well as on the street. Regardless of pads, never have been a fan of mixing brands, and we have been a stribng supporters of
Carbotechs over the last few years. Very linear feel, easy on rotors , and made in the US -- shop is only a couple of miles North of the Charlotte Speedway.

Dusty1
01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
First, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 6 pt. harnesses let you quit holding on and start driving. On my 08' the ECU's response was so slow the car felt like it was turbocharged. It was one of the earlier cars but it was a problem at the track. Upgrade the brake fluid to Motul or your choice of 600 degee fluid and then drive drive drive. Of course alignment and suspension setups need to be optimized but you will learn as you track. I like the Mintex Ft./Brakeman III's Rear brakepad setup as well. Enjoy you will love the new ACR!

Richard

Leslie
01-22-2014, 02:52 PM
It sounds like adjusting my suspension, changing pads and alignment is what I am going to start with. Found out Woodhouse change all fluids to what I need, nice huh?:dude3:

I am going to change the tires too, I don't feel like worrying about cold and rain for my drive to/from the track:)

Allan
01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Allan - are you making these adjustments at the track? If so, what tools are you using to measure caster, camber, and toe?No. I have an auto repair shop and am a mechanic by trade. The only thing we don't do is alignments, but we have a good relationship with an alignment shop. -trade work back and forth.

I have them tweak it, then do a few track days. Pay attention to what the car is doing, then go back and have minor changes made. More track days and so on. Also monitor changes in tire wear and temps across the tires to help dial in what works best for me on the tracks I run.
I have settled on the specs I posted as the car feels great there.
Running Hoosier R6's, I am flipping the fronts after 2/3 days to double the life of them (almost).
Rears I am flipping at 4 days. -got 7 days out of the last set of rears doing that.
I am running the 275/35-18 tire on the front. Most guys are running 295 or 315.
I feel that the 275 keeps things a little safer for me at this point. (car has a little more tendency to understeer than oversteer) An ACR with a big wing on the back probably needs the wider front to be more balanced than my 'street Viper'.

Allan
01-22-2014, 08:25 PM
It sounds like adjusting my suspension, changing pads and alignment is what I am going to start with. Found out Woodhouse change all fluids to what I need, nice huh?:dude3:

I am going to change the tires too, I don't feel like worrying about cold and rain for my drive to/from the track:)Funny thing is, (I've noticed) the alignment is the least expensive thing you can do to the car, but will yield the most noticeable results. -transforms the car into a track monster......but then, yours already is out of the box.

Troublemaker
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I think the best mod you can put in that car is seat time. We all know you can drive, now you have the car to showcase it. My background was in dirt racing, but having something that was built for a specific task verses a modified stocker is a whole new world. Good luck, let me know if you travel over to the Autobahn, it's only a five minute drive for me.

Leslie
01-22-2014, 09:33 PM
it's good to read what you guys are doing, thanks so much for the direction. I DO need the seat time in this car, and I am excited to drive it. It's wild to have such an amazing car in my garage that I have only driven a block in the snow.

I want to keep this car shiny side up:) and need to get used to the hp! I am used to the 'creampuff' and it was easy to slide her around and have fun, I knew that car so well and it felt like a comfortable shoe on the track haha.

Shooter
01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I am going to change the tires too, I don't feel like worrying about cold and rain for my drive to/from the track:)

That's the funniest thing I have read lately. You went from a 450 +/- car to a 600+hp car...it doesn't matter what tires you have. You have to pay attention especially in the rain/cold.

ACR Steve
01-23-2014, 04:49 PM
No engine mods
Maybe a catch can
SS brake lines
Motul 600
Mintex/Brakeman combo - I brake as late as any ACR-x
6 point belts
Fire extinguisher
tow straps
change battery to a gel one
Track alignment - be careful if you drive on the street no more then 1.9 neg camber (it will pull like mad on ruts on the street )
keep cups on it if you drive to the track - nothing better that you can drive to the track on

That's it . Don't do anything else and the car will be faster then 98% of the race cars out there. I am amazed my race car is slower then my street Viper and its a Porsche factory race car,truly amazing

Leslie
01-23-2014, 05:16 PM
thank you ACRSteve!

my battery died 4 days after I got the car:(

I am used to having Teamtech harnesses, it will be hard to be without them.

I agree with the engine mods, not even wanting to go there right now, need seat time.

blk_fxstc
01-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Harnesses would be my first investment IMO (it was mine). The grip the car has will be greater than your GTS, especially on higher mph tracks. After one track day of banging myself and my interior around, I ordered harnesses the next Monday. I'm sure you already know all the other benefits of the harnesses since you have had them before.

lmcgrew79
01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Brakes, alignment, harness, seat time, thicker oil 15w50 m1 or 10w60 penn ultra or whatever, catch can, exhaust, pcm. I ran threw about 3 sets of the mintex/brakeman combo and like the dtc 70/60 much better. May be to aggressive with street tires though. IDK
Leslie i have a pile of the eye hooks that you need for the harnesses ill bring or ship to you.

RTTTTed
01-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Only a bit more hp Leslie. If you had the antitoe mods that was the biggest improvement over the GTS (and the adj racing shocks). You'll get it quickly. I think the biggest difference will be the extreme high speed cornering advantages of the aerodynamics.

Whp difference from a Gen 2 ACR and a Gen 4 ACR was 430whp to 540whp. Significant, but not a huge amount. My GTS eats all stock Vipers, but Joe of Seattle has a stock (PS2 tires) Borla exhausted 2001 ACR (like yours) and his was 1mph faster than a 2009 ACR (that looked exactly the same as your new ACR) in a standing Halfmile when we ran the SSCC last year and the year before. The aerodynamics of the ACR are significant as last year a couple TV personalities ran a "09 ACR and top speed was 170mph over the 90 mile Rally. His average speed was about 150mph. He has a website, saleable DVDs and several youtube videos on it.

Perhaps JonB or Archer could get you a used Gen 5 plastic intake manifold - 18# lighter and because it's plastic it won't lose 18whp when hot racing around the track!

Way to go Leslie! I'm happy you attained your dream car ... again!:dude3:

Leslie
01-23-2014, 11:20 PM
thanks Luke and Ted!

I loved the Teamtech harnesses, I think Jonb can hook me up:)

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
01-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Great lookin ACR!! Congrats and enjoy it..

Leslie
01-26-2014, 06:41 PM
thank you Ted!

I miss the GenII, but I am sure once I drive the ACR I will be in a dream world:)

Sybil TF
01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Wow! Nice car Leslie!!!