PDA

View Full Version : New wheels

outnumbered
02-28-2017, 04:59 AM
Well, no one at work seems to get too excited about the car parts that I get, so I'm posting here. In an effort to prepare for the upcoming 1/2 mile event in my area, I bought some Toyo R888's. I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of swapping wheels and tires for different events, so I just went ahead and purchased my first set of 3 piece wheels from Strasse Wheels. I never thought I would spend the money like I did on a set of wheels, but they should look sweet. They will pair me up with a photographer for a photo shoot once the wheels are on the car. So hopefully, new pics 6-7 weeks from now.

98intrigue
02-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Awesome! What style did you go with?

OneofOneViper
02-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Well, no one at work seems to get too excited about the car parts that I get, so I'm posting here. In an effort to prepare for the upcoming 1/2 mile event in my area, I bought some Toyo R888's. I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of swapping wheels and tires for different events, so I just went ahead and purchased my first set of 3 piece wheels from Strasse Wheels. I never thought I would spend the money like I did on a set of wheels, but they should look sweet. They will pair me up with a photographer for a photo shoot once the wheels are on the car. So hopefully, new pics 6-7 weeks from now.

I have owned 2 sets of 3 piece wheels in the past and all I can say is that they are the biggest pain in the butt to clean. Areas you can't reach where they are bolted together or have seems. In addition to that, both sets had a wheel that eventually leaked air slowly (not in the beginning but after 5-7 years or so). I'm not sure if you have the opportunity to change the decision on the wheels or not but I'd go mono block if at all possible.

outnumbered
02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Awesome! What style did you go with?

SM5 Deep Concave--19x11/19x13. Gloss black throughout, with header orange detail on the center caps.

No hemi
02-28-2017, 01:38 PM
can't wait to see them , I was talking to chris last week about a set of those (different color ) for my white SRT.

outnumbered
02-28-2017, 01:50 PM
I have owned 2 sets of 3 piece wheels in the past and all I can say is that they are the biggest pain in the butt to clean. Areas you can't reach where they are bolted together or have seems. In addition to that, both sets had a wheel that eventually leaked air slowly (not in the beginning but after 5-7 years or so). I'm not sure if you have the opportunity to change the decision on the wheels or not but I'd go mono block if at all possible.

I will check on that. Thanks.

outnumbered
02-28-2017, 01:51 PM
can't wait to see them , I was talking to chris last week about a set of those (different color ) for my white SRT.

I'm a little anxious myself. I have only talked with Robert.

outnumbered
02-28-2017, 01:57 PM

I remember now. Monoblock forging is not available in the 19x13. 12" is as wide as it goes.

poptarts
03-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a bad ass setup can't wait for the pics

Martyb
03-12-2017, 07:35 AM

I couldn't agree more. I have had the exact same experience with 3 pc wheels. I now have CCW on both of my Vipers.

98intrigue
03-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Don't let the 3pc comments scare you. I've had many 3pc wheels over the years (HRE, iForged, 360Forged, Forgeline, SSR, DPE), but have never experienced an issue with them leaking. Cleaning can be a PITA though depending on the design of the wheel and hardware. Looking forward to seeing the new wheels on your car!

slowhatch
03-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Should look cool, post pics of the new setup when it gets in.

outnumbered
03-13-2017, 04:44 AM
Don't let the 3pc comments scare you. I've had many 3pc wheels over the years (HRE, iForged, 360Forged, Forgeline, SSR, DPE), but have never experienced an issue with them leaking. Cleaning can be a PITA though depending on the design of the wheel and hardware. Looking forward to seeing the new wheels on your car!

No worries here. Fortunately, one of the things I enjoy in life is cleaning my car. My only worry is how they will look. One can overly scrutinize, but until the tires are mounted, and then installed on the car, you don't really know. Fingers crossed.

outnumbered
03-13-2017, 05:10 AM
Here is a computer drawing of the wheel in a 5 lug version. Mine will not have the elongated lug holes.

IndyRon
03-13-2017, 07:02 AM
The multi piece wheels are a little more work to clean. That said, once you see the look/concave stance/detail of the 3pc, even high end monoblocks just look plain.

98intrigue
03-13-2017, 07:34 AM
No worries here. Fortunately, one of the things I enjoy in life is cleaning my car. My only worry is how they will look. One can overly scrutinize, but until the tires are mounted, and then installed on the car, you don't really know. Fingers crossed.

You nailed it. Just like women, wheels can look like a 7 but then put them on the right car... 10!

outnumbered
03-13-2017, 07:37 AM
The multi piece wheels are a little more work to clean. That said, once you see the look/concave stance/detail of the 3pc, even high end monoblocks just look plain.

The level of detail should be really good. Notice that the inner itching is orange. They are actually using the header orange paint code, to help go along with the calipers

viperhauler
03-13-2017, 11:55 AM
this is entirely too long to wait for pics! you tease.

also, from experience (since i let rain clean my cars) it's just silicone that "could" fail on a 3 piece. no big deal to fix if there's an issue.

outnumbered
04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Should have them next week....tires are waiting.

mackzilla
04-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Those should look great on a gen 5.

outnumbered
04-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Fingers crossed....

outnumbered
05-13-2017, 05:39 AM
So what do you think? I'm very happy that I went with the 19 up front. Also, the Toyo's ride/drive so much better than the P zero's.

GT Venum
05-13-2017, 06:03 AM
They look great. Perfect fit...

parabs
05-13-2017, 06:04 AM
They look good! Really good. The 19/19 setup looks great! They do however surprisingly remind me a lot of the gen3 ten spokes at first glance.

What width and size tire up front?

outnumbered
05-13-2017, 06:26 AM
They look good! Really good. The 19/19 setup looks great! They do however surprisingly remind me a lot of the gen3 ten spokes at first glance.

What width and size tire up front?

Yes they do! Having 3 SRT-10 Rams, I guess I was a little partial to that style. These are just a little leaner with respect to spoke size. The fronts are 11" wide, which I believe is just .5" wider than stock. However the offset on the fronts is perfect. It is just about flush with the fender lip. I could not stand how the stock wheel set up looked "sunk in".

Tire size is 295/30/19

- - - Updated - - -

They look great. Perfect fit...

Thank you.

parabs
05-13-2017, 06:49 AM
I agree, your fitment looks great! What offset did you get for the front wheels? With the taller front tire and more aggressive fender flush fitment do you have any concerns with any hood interference?

And how did you like dealing with strasse?

outnumbered
05-13-2017, 06:56 AM
I agree, your fitment looks great! What offset did you get for the front wheels? With the taller front tire and more aggressive fender flush fitment do you have any concerns with any hood interference?

And how did you like dealing with strasse?

I'm not sure what the offset is. It might be on my paperwork. They have done Vipers before, so they new where they needed to be without any issues; which I don't have any. Robert at Strasse was fantastic. He was constantly texting me with questions/options along the way, and then ultimately pictures. I was very well informed during the process. The quality of the wheels is amazing.

LATAMUD
05-15-2017, 06:04 AM
They look like Gen3 wheels.