PDA

View Full Version : Finally the snake stretched its coils

BlueAdder
02-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Since snakes don't have legs :)

^___ You can notice my blue tape art. Since only the hood is clear wrapped, I had to tape parts of the roof and places on the wing that may get dinged. There were a couple of spots on the roof tape where it caught some small debris but the tape did its job. I didn't have numbers and since blue on blue wouldn't have worked, I used some yellow frog tape which kept coming off...

I had a track day at MRLS this past Friday and it was great!
We got really lucky because the bay area (including the Monterey Bay) has been really wet since the beginning of the year. Thursday was somewhat decent and Friday turned out to be a beautiful day in Seaside/Sand city, which is where Laguna Seca is located.

The day before the track day I purchased Ross Bentley's virtual track walk video. That cost me some $48 but quite honestly, it was well worth it. It's about 1h40 and it walks you through every single turn on the track, gives you reference marks, turn in points etc. Great stuff. I watched it before going to bed on Thursday night but since I'm not getting any younger, I forgot a lot of it by the morning :D

I got up at 5:30 and left at 6:00, got some gas and drove to the track. My trailer isn't ready yet since I still have to get the e-tracks and straps so I decided to drive down. It's only 40min from home so I thought that it would be fine. That's the reason why I didn't install the splitter extension nor the diffuser ones. So, my ACR-E was an ACR for the day. I did remove the louvers though.
I set up the suspensions according to the booklet and it seems that it worked reasonably well.

I adjusted the tire pressure throughout the day but since I couldn't remember the recommendations, I aimed to have 35/29 hot. It was fine but I did have a few moments of 'squidlyness' but I'll do better next time.

I was pitted next to a dude who had a couple of awesome Lotus cars:

Exige V6 Cup car

He drove the 311 which wasn't even broken in yet... I think he should have gone into a slower group but despite going at a pedestrian speed, he wasn't a problem on track.

In the first session, last lap, the bloke a 2007 Exige spun right in front of me in T3 somehow and I managed to avoid him but I almost had to come to a stop because after his spin he was still going backwards :eek:
Right after we went back to the paddocks he came to apologize, which was unnecessary because it happens. Really nice guy actually. He didn't have any more troubles for the rest of the day. I went to check his car out of course because I love the Exige. Another dude who drove an Ariel came by and we chatted for a little while, he knew that I had the Viper (the only one there sadly enough) and he asked me what I thought my lap times were. I told him that I don't have a timer for one and secondly, it was my first track day with the snake and how fast I was going was not important. I guesstimated that I was doing like 2min or something rather absurd :D

I passed him in the next session and when I was gassing up, he was like: "right, 2min my butt!" as he went on to show me his own lap times. He was doing 1:50 and he said that once I passed him, he never saw me again. I'm guessing that I was doing mid 40s which is pretty slow but like I said, I didn't care. I was concentrating on hitting every single apex and trying to remember that darn video.

The Viper was a star that day. Just about everyone in the paddocks came up to snap pics and tell me how awesome the car was. It was really nice to talk to all those people and it sure was a change from bringing my Focus ST which is largely ignored by everybody :D

Then there was that gem:

All in all, it was a really good day.

Things that I need to improve on:

Turn 1 (front straight), I should be accelerating until I approach T2 but it's still a daunting task for me. I think it's problem with the line I take.
I brake way too early for T2. Should brake later and harder since the brakes are brillant!
I couldn't hit the 2nd apex but that was on purpose because there was mud right there
I could go faster in T3 for sure since I barely under steer there (not fast enough)
Ditto T4
Turn 5 is OK but obviously I short shifted all day long and I could probably go a lot faster there
Turn 6, same as T3/T4
The Corkscrew. I brake too much there too but I prefer to brake before the hump rather than after because I don't yet trust the awesome brakes. That being said, that one tree is a great reference point and I always ended up in the right spot, on the blue/white strip at the apex down the hill.
T9 is so tricky.
T11, well I basically waste the whole lap right there. Lots of work needed

Proof that I'm slow

Slow but at least I hit the apexes all day long or at least 95% of the time.

One more thing, It looks like the car didn't burn oil. I checked my oil level after each session (5 minutes after) and there was no noticeable change. I checked yesterday morning as well, and it looks like the level is the same as before the track day.
If the weather is nice this week, I'll take the car for an oil change (since I can't do it myself for the time being) and I'll ask them to keep me some oil that I'll get analyzed.

Ditto from GotBlueMilk took some pictures that I might purchase: http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web170224/46/index.html

stradman
02-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Great write-up! Sounds like you had a fab time there. I can't wait I have my first track to "stretch its coils" as you say in one week. Geez I am just so looking forward to that day. Hope weather behaves though....Tires don't look too bad though-but as you say perhaps being the first time you didn't push as hard-but still sounds like you were passing most people! Did you get passed much?

Martin
02-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Right on, Manu!! Sounds like you had fun, and that's what it's all about. Good on you for checking the oil - hopefully the newer cars don't have the issues the earlier ones did.

Long range weather looks like aside from tonight, we've got sunny and warmish for the next few weeks. Then, summer starts and the real fun begins.

martin

BlueAdder
02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
I didn't get passed all day long besides the very first session when I pointed people by.

Then again, half the advanced group was made of Miata. The rest were m4, Cayman gt4, there was a gt3 RS that was the fastest in the group. Couldn't keep up with him and even without dodging all the traffic, I don't think I would have been able to.

Great write-up! Sounds like you had a fab time there. I can't wait I have my first track to "stretch its coils" as you say in one week. Geez I am just so looking forward to that day. Hope weather behaves though....Tires don't look too bad though-but as you say perhaps being the first time you didn't push as hard-but still sounds like you were passing most people! Did you get passed much?

Bruce H.
02-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Nice write-up...thanks for sharing the fun stuff! It sounds like you must have got into the groove pretty quickly there!

Was that a 90 db Hooked On Driving day? Did you pass by lifting a bit as you went by the sound meter? I'll be doing MRLS for the first time Sept 26th with them...can't wait!

Happy tracking that beast!

BlueAdder
02-27-2017, 01:34 AM
Nice write-up...thanks for sharing the fun stuff! It sounds like you must have got into the groove pretty quickly there!

Was that a 90 db Hooked On Driving day? Did you pass by lifting a bit as you went by the sound meter? I'll be doing MRLS for the first time Sept 26th with them...can't wait!

Happy tracking that beast!

It was with the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Was a 92db day and I did have to short shift going up the hill. Since I'm not chasing for lap times, I didn't mind. I had 5 sessions of 20 minutes and I skipped the last as I usually do since I tend to lose focus and make mistakes. In the last session I got very very close to the dirt coming out of T4 and it took some effort to stay on the track.

HOD is great. More expensive by far but the organization of the track days are second to none. I payed $225 for Friday and they ran 3 groups, unlike hod which runs 4. I need to stop slacking off and finish my trailer, so that I can go again in March. I'd like to do a couple track days per month but that'd be rather costly. Will see.

You'll love Laguna Seca but treat her with respect :)
If you can, get yourself that video I talked about, it's really helpful even if you don't have data in your car.

Scott_in_fl
02-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Everyone needs to run MRLS at least once in their lifetime. A genuinely special place for auto enthusiasts and especially drivers.

EliteV
02-28-2017, 12:43 PM
vicariously racing, many many thanks!!

BlueAdder
02-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Everyone needs to run MRLS at least once in their lifetime. A genuinely special place for auto enthusiasts and especially drivers.

True but it's not always doable, especially if you live on the other side of the country. I think we, on the west coast are fortunate to have both MRLS and Sears Point available to us.
That being said, I'd love to do COTA and Sebring, Road America, Watkins Glenn, VIR, PIR (although PIR is in the realm of possibilities :) )

vicariously racing, many many thanks!!

I do the same with Todd's (VENOM V) posts :D
Hopefully I'll get to do a track day with him soon but he'll smoke me anyway so I'll have almost a lap to look at his license plate :smilielol: