PDA

View Full Version : No more SRT hoods for 2017 So what happens

Special Ed
02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
So, no more SRT hoods for 2017. So what happens if one is damaged on an existing GenV? Are you SOL? Who is the vendor? Will they ever be available post production.

The same question can be asked for many of the unique parts for these cars. I would love to know if anyone has any solid answers.

ViperSmith
02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
I'd have to assume - prob incorrectly - that they are holding back a certain number and that is the reasoning for the restriction.

OneofOneViper
02-09-2017, 05:14 PM
So, no more SRT hoods for 2017. So what happens if one is damaged on an existing GenV? Are you SOL? Who is the vendor? Will they ever be available post production.

The same question can be asked for many of the unique parts for these cars. I would love to know if anyone has any solid answers.

This isn't a solid answer, but a semi-educated guess. Since the carbon fiber parts are made in-house, I would think any part that is sold out is gone for good because the plant is closing down. The wings and splitters have been sold out for some time now and no way to get one so I'm guessing if one is damaged since there are no aftermarket replacements currently--your insurance company would have to total out the car.

outnumbered
02-09-2017, 05:26 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe manufacturers are required to keep stock parts available for 7 years.

BlknBlu
02-09-2017, 05:30 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe manufacturers are required to keep stock parts available for 7 years.

This

Bruce

OneofOneViper
02-09-2017, 05:34 PM

I wondered this too, I know in appliances that is true to an extent. But only functional parts usually have that requirement. Things like decals, shelves inside a refrigerator, etc do not fall under that condition although a compressor or fan or door seal would. Since the aero parts are not a necessity to run the car and the hood can be swapped out to a GTS hood, I'm not sure if that would be something the government could enforce.

ViperSmith
02-09-2017, 05:42 PM
This isn't a solid answer, but a semi-educated guess. Since the carbon fiber parts are made in-house, I would think any part that is sold out is gone for good because the plant is closing down. The wings and splitters have been sold out for some time now and no way to get one so I'm guessing if one is damaged since there are no aftermarket replacements currently--your insurance company would have to total out the car.

Well this is insane nonsense.

Special Ed
02-09-2017, 05:48 PM

I think that "7 year rule" is an urban legend. I hope I'm wrong.

ViperSmith
02-09-2017, 06:02 PM
7 years is a myth. The requirement is for them to have parts available until the warranty period ends.

i.e.: they should have engines until late 2022, all other various parts until late 2020. Though, EPA regulated items needs to be 7y I think.

swexlin
02-09-2017, 06:11 PM
I would take a GTS hood, if that was the only option. But, this is an interesting thread.

7TH_SIGN
02-09-2017, 06:16 PM
When my SRT hood was replaced, Prefix informed me that FCA didn't even manufacture it. That it was a supplier they contracted. Is this true and if so maybe we can find out who they are?

Bill Pemberton
02-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Pretty simple .......

They are building out the car, they have almost all the orders in and the supplier has said this is how many I can build through your final build phase. So they want to make sure they have enough based on the suppliers ability, and they are maxed out with ACRs , and consumer demand. Same reason the ACRs are done ...........they will have enough parts to build the ones in the order banks and they don't really want to call a customer and say we can't build your car because we can't get all the parts in time.

Imagine there will be parts made after the fact, as the Plant closing does not mean a supplier will not do parts after August for inventory.

Stealth
02-09-2017, 07:42 PM
FCA will need to maintain access to hoods and other parts for several years for those who need another hood. Any other result is crazy. This has nothing to do with the parts ordered for the final 2017 production. A 7 year extended warranty on my 2014 puts the car in warranty until 2021.The R28 Powertrain Warranty is even longer. One challenging aspect of our Vipers has always been the small production numbers and therefore a limited aftermarket. Nevertheless, we should be good for several years unless FCA goes out of business.

Arizona Vipers
02-09-2017, 08:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agency-Power-AP-VIPG5-625-Full-Carbon-Fiber-OEM-Vented-Hood-fit-Dodge-SRT-Viper-/131656399437

They stopped making those so probably only a few left..

Photog1
02-09-2017, 08:56 PM

I heard 10 years.

DanH
02-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Forget the hood, I waited for the passenger's inner wheel tub for almost 6 months last year. I think this will be an important future issue with our cars.

mjorgensen
02-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Almost all parts are contracted out and filled as needed (in bulk not 1 at a time) so wait times can and will be very long on some items. The company that produces the CF parts does many other things so a very small run of those parts will be a long long wait I'd bet and maybe even MORE expensive then the stratospheric pricing FCA has them at currently.

Anyone needing a spare SRT hood though, I will have one around a long time unless the price is right in the future.

texasram
02-10-2017, 09:19 AM
When my SRT hood was replaced, Prefix informed me that FCA didn't even manufacture it. That it was a supplier they contracted. Is this true and if so maybe we can find out who they are?

Agency power

texasram
02-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Well this is insane nonsense.

I havnt had my car going on 9 weeks now waiting for srt hood, insurance hasnt totaled it, i promise when i get it back that thing is staying in the garage for atleast half a year

swexlin
02-10-2017, 09:37 AM
I havnt had my car going on 9 weeks now waiting for srt hood, insurance hasnt totaled it, i promise when i get it back that thing is staying in the garage for atleast half a year

That's no good, can't be afraid to drive them for fear of accidents. That's why I could never own a high-dollar collectible, because it's too risky to drive. Cars were meant to be driven.

Sorry to hear of your wait, hopefully soon.

nuviper
02-10-2017, 09:43 AM
http://plasancarbon.com/projects

This is the supplier's website. They also manufacture composite parts for corvettes.

mjorgensen
02-10-2017, 10:14 AM
http://plasancarbon.com/projects

This is the supplier's website. They also manufacture composite parts for corvettes.

Yes, but since they are a contractor for FCA they can never sell direct which stinks...

The_Ruski_Driver
02-10-2017, 10:29 AM

That's dirty. I'd be going nuts

BJG32
02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agency-Power-AP-VIPG5-625-Full-Carbon-Fiber-OEM-Vented-Hood-fit-Dodge-SRT-Viper-/131656399437

They stopped making those so probably only a few left..

They still make them. They are made to order. Unsure how the fit is.

commandomatt
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Find a GTS hood and buy it. Paint it and use on your car while you are waiting for the SRT one. Added value if/when you sell the car

I bet all these hoods will collect a premium in the future

kdaviper
02-10-2017, 10:46 AM

no, the hoods are not made at CAAP

sadil
02-10-2017, 11:10 AM
After being on this forum for 6 months, i have finally understood how a cigarette bud can cause a forest fire.

ACRucrazy
02-10-2017, 11:16 AM
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RhJGT4vNvTw/VyIQP7bxSGI/AAAAAAAAEk4/njloGiHFxsw5HwcX9FZ8Y4WXNv5gBETcgCLcB/s640/beaker.gif

Bill Pemberton
02-10-2017, 01:11 PM
ACRucrazy ------ now that is some funnknee Sheee Ite!!!

Camfab
02-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Apparently there is no law requiring manufacturers to retain parts. I also believed the seven year as well as the ten year rule, but nope. I contacted the bureau of automotive repair as well as some other CA agency's. All told me the same thing. I'd like to think they are wrong but one cited me specific issues owners were having with emission related components and Chrysler was at the top of the list.........

OneofOneViper
02-11-2017, 12:32 AM
no, the hoods are not made at CAAP

Well that is good. I guess I saw a video posted by Dodge awhile back showing the process of making the car and one of the segments in the video showed the carbon fiber hood being made so I assumed it was made in house. But I'm glad to here it's not which means they will likely have extra parts this summer once they fulfill all the vipers on order and they catch up

texasram
02-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Find a GTS hood and buy it. Paint it and use on your car while you are waiting for the SRT one. Added value if/when you sell the car

I bet all these hoods will collect a premium in the future

The srt hood is more desirable

Stealth
02-13-2017, 01:20 PM

This is in the eye of the beholder. The ALMS/IMSA Viper used the GTS Hood. The ACR uses the SRT Hood. Each to their own.

commandomatt
02-13-2017, 04:59 PM

You didnt get my post. Buy a GTS hood and use it while you are waiting for the insurance SRT hood to show up.

I said 'added value' because you would own an extra hood and this would be worth something for a future buyer

texasram
02-13-2017, 06:33 PM
You didnt get my post. Buy a GTS hood and use it while you are waiting for the insurance SRT hood to show up.

I said 'added value' because you would own an extra hood and this would be worth something for a future buyer

I gotcha, just relaying from most gen 5 owners