PDA

View Full Version : Fluids

Lemay88
01-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Bonjour guys,

I'm about to do fluid flush on my '97 Stock R/T 10 ( tranny, diff, engine, brake and clutch).
I have the service manuel with all the specs for fluids and how to.
Since the car is 20 years old and god knows how fast technology changes, I was wondering if adding newer fluids (meaning different specs) to the car would be beneficial or should I stick to manufacture spec fluids ??

I read about it on different forums and I get all kind of different views. Some are recommending high performance fluids, some regular oe fluids, some are saying they have had problems going newer tech...confusing more than anyhting else
I would like to get your experience and thoughts about that.

Ben

dave6666
01-31-2017, 08:45 AM
There are plenty of 100K mile Vipers that use factory fill fluids. There's a clue there...

98RedGTS
01-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Dave - Aren't you using 0w-40 oil or did you switch back? I went through this several months ago and read hundreds of post related to the topic. Seemed to be a fairly large debate around the viscosity. I ultimately went with the 0w-40 as I thought that is what you recommended and being a daily driven car in the same climate as mine I made the switch.

OP - As for the rest of the fluids I went with factory spec. Some will say DOT4 brake fluid should be used though. I went DOT3 for my use but I didn't seem to see any negatives with DOT4.

Fatboy 18
01-31-2017, 10:32 AM
I like Amsoil fluids for the rear diff and Transmission, also because the Amsoil is a higher spec it means you do not have to use the additional Friction modifier.
Mobil 1 15-50W race Engine oil.

Since FCA europe changed suppliers things like Antifreeze are now different colours.
So I now prefer to buy non mopar American fluids.

Not sure if it will affect my warranty.......................................... ........... Sorry, Had a Gen V moment there :smilielol:

dave6666
01-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Yes using 0W40 M1 and have been for close to 10 years. It was not available when the car was manufactured so would obviously require assigning that OEM status retroactively. I believe it was (or is) an OEM fill, or optional fill, on later years.

Steve-Indy
01-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Dave is right on...Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula became the factory fill for Vipers starting in 2005 through 2010. It had much higher zinc and phosphorus levels than the Mobil 1 10w-30 used as the factory fill from the 1996 GTS through 2004. The newer oil also offered had viscosity numbers at operating temps...especially in warmer climates.

Fatboy 18
01-31-2017, 12:28 PM
I've forgotten what a Warmer Climate is!

Lemay88
01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Well, main reason I asked was that....hum...I have, from the manufacturer, 2 different recommanded oil for the same application.
In the 1997 Dodge Viper service manuel, Dodge recommends Dexron II-E or Dexron III....but I have a sticker on the tranny that says Castrol Syntorq LT...photos below....
Witch one should I put in??
Why a change between book and tranny??
Was it done while in production?? Is the book newer than the tranny??
Ben

98RedGTS
01-31-2017, 12:44 PM
I'm guessing someone took your car in for the TSB (forget the actual number) of a noisy trans and it was swapped over. The syntorq is supposed to help with the noise a little. I personally went with factory fill.

98RedGTS
01-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Found this at another site so will just quote it vs link it:

"What's that rattling noise from the transmission while sitting in neutral?

This is a rather common, and annoying problem known as Neutral Gear Rattle (NGR), and is caused primarily by vibration from the uneven-firing interval of the motor (it does, after all, have an odd number of cylinders per bank) being transmitted to the transmission housing. This frequency also happens to be one of the gearset’s resonance frequencies, causing them to rattle. It disappears with a slightly higher idle RPM, but this is not easy thing to achieve due to the fact that the motor’s idle speed is computer-controlled. Dodge has put out a service bulletin to address this. But, the TSB to improve the NGR problem will not eliminate NGR. In fact, after 2500 city/highway miles on the replacement clutch (yes-you get a different, less-aggressive clutch) the problem will slowly return to bother you once again.

The problem has always existed, but roadsters were inherently noisy and have few NGR complaints. The best, real fix is to have your ISM (Idle Speed Motor) re-programmed to idle at 900 RPM. Dealers are technically prohibited from doing this due to emissions. Hennessey Motorsports will do it, as well as give a few other benefits, like eliminate the Skip Shift and the light!

A revision to the TSB was received in April 1998 by the dealers that : "basically states draining current fluid and having replaced with 4 quarts of transmission fluid SAE75W (MS-9070) part no. 04874459 and changing tran label to part no. 04275086." Some owners have commented that "it helped, but shifting was definitely a bit stiffer."

Fatboy 18
01-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Here is the specs on what I run in my 2000 creampuff
Trans = AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube SAE 75-90 API GL-4

Rear Diff = AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube (Black bottle)
with the Amsoil rear diff fluid you do not have to use the friction modifier like you do with the Mopar fluids.

For the Engine I first used the Mobil 1 sae 10-30w but this became hard to find in the UK so I switched over to Mobil 1 0-40w
I ran this for at least 7 years, but have now just switched over to using Mobil 1 15-50w fully synthetic. I am now noticing better oil pressure.

Lemay88
01-31-2017, 05:31 PM
so, don't necessarily need to use oe fluids. Just need to do my homework and figure what are the equivalent if I can't get my hands on oe.
Fatboy, have you been using amsoil for long?? if so, any noticable differences or problems since making the move.

Now about my 2 different tranny fluid, should I go Castrol syntorq LT or dexron??

Ben

BrianACR
01-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Hmmm, good question. Which one is on sale at Canadian Tire?? LOL

Fatboy 18
01-31-2017, 07:02 PM
I have noticed no difference what so ever. However, changing from the old Gear shift to a Hurst shifter did make a difference, I know other people are also fans of Royal Purple fluids.
There's a lot to choose from out there, just read the tech info on each product to make sure it exceeds Mopar Spec :)

Ive been running it at least 4 years

Read the spec for yourself
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/

Camfab
01-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Do not use atf in your tranny! Your trans requires Syntorq which is the factory fill for your vehicle

71firebird400
01-31-2017, 11:05 PM
I had OE Dexron IIE in my '96 GTS- shifted great and had a slight Neutral Gear Rattle. In swapping all my fluids I replaced it with Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid 75W85 (Syntorq). Gone was the NGR, however shifting became heavier- especially at cold temps. I ended up draining the Manual Transmission Fluid and going back to the current Mopar ATF (ATF+4)- the transmission returned to it's original behavior which I much prefer. I will gladly tolerate the NGR in favor of smoother shifting.

BLRDViper
02-01-2017, 07:17 AM
In my 97 the factory fill was Dexron III, I used Mopar ATF+4 (MS-9602). In your case I would use Castrol Syntorq LT like the sticker indicates.
BLRD

Lemay88
02-01-2017, 07:38 AM
By reading most post and from research on the net, I'm sure I have syntorq in my tranny. It's a little hard to shift when cold but gets fine after heating up, no NGR.
I will fill it with syntorq.
I'll go with mopar for the diff.
Mobil 1 0w40 in the engine
DOT3 performance for clutch and brake.
Thanks everyone for your input
Ben

Camfab
02-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Clutch and brake fluid in your vehicle from the factory is DOT 4. Yes the cap says DOT 3, but it isn't. Syntorque is a dealer only item. I was told by a engineer from Tremec that the syntorque was used due to a change in material used within the tranny. I believe it was a fiber material, sorry I've forgotten the exact details. Donato Eng. would know the exact details. It's funny, all this fluid business has been hashed out years ago, but guys have moved on and it's like Ground Hog Day again. The VCA website is a great source for all things Gen I, II, III and IV. So much info.

00GTS
02-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Mobil 1 0W40 and most recently Castol 0W40 in the engine.

Redline MT-85 in the trans.

Mopar 75W140 and friction modifier in the diff. (due to be changed this spring).

Mopar p/s fluid.

DOT 4 clutch and brake fluid.

All good.

DonatoEng
02-06-2017, 08:11 PM
The only fluid I recommend for all T56 Viper transmissions is the factory fill Castrol Syntorq. This oil was specially formulated to work with the carbon lined blocker rings and has an EP additive to protect the gear tooth face under heavy loads.
The Mopar PN is 4874459 or GM 12346190
John

Kari_Lindstrom
02-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Mine is 1998 GTS and I'm using...

M1 5W50 in the engine
Redline MT-85 in the trans (Syntorq label on tranny)
Redline 80W140 in the diff
Redline p/s fluid
ATE DOT4 in the clutch and brake lines
Global Lifetime in the cooling system

jesseviperv10
02-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Just had all mine done and it's Motul