PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator question

Mr. Bill
01-17-2014, 08:51 AM
In typical Friday fashion I drove the Viper to work today. After I parked I rolled up the drivers side window and heard a loud pop! I immediately thought damn, there went the window reg. but the window still moves up and down smoothly and it doesn't make any unusual sounds. I then get out and close the door and that's when I noticed that the window no longer moves that little bit as the door is opened and closed.

So my question is....is this a failure mod of the window reg. or is it something else?

Also, is it true that the gen 5 window regulators are cheaper, stronger and fit the 3rd and 4th generations?

mjorgensen
01-17-2014, 09:15 AM
You can try a re learn by rolling down and hold the switch for 5 seconds and then up doing the same and see if that works.

And yes on both counts for the GenV regulators.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Great tip from mark to re-snych the BCM/Regulator. Did you have a power disconnect? Old-low battery may be an issue here. Time for new?

G3-4 regs are fragile..... 20% of service parts come in to dealers parts departments already damaged broken!

The G5 was made more robust due to all the problems....

Mr. Bill
01-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Well it seems to be working now but it also looks like the window goes up to far when closing the window.
From the little research I've done it sounds like a "pin" of some sort has broken which allows the window to over travel.
So question for those that have looked at the regulators......does that make any sense at all about the pin?
Is there a fix for that or is the fix a new regulator?

Viktimize
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
In typical Friday fashion I drove the Viper to work today. After I parked I rolled up the drivers side window and heard a loud pop! I immediately thought damn, there went the window reg. but the window still moves up and down smoothly and it doesn't make any unusual sounds. I then get out and close the door and that's when I noticed that the window no longer moves that little bit as the door is opened and closed.

So my question is....is this a failure mod of the window reg. or is it something else?

Also, is it true that the gen 5 window regulators are cheaper, stronger and fit the 3rd and 4th generations?

Mine did a similar thing, but it always had a problem with it not rolling down enough to close the door. I tried the re-learn procedure and it never did anything. Eventually I just replace the regulator and all problems are solved. For the price tag now I don't mind taking a chance at replacing them. It's not a 1500$ job anymore.